IGNORED

Not connecting to BBS's today?

V-Cool

Hey all, I got up and running for the first time on a BBS the other day and was trying to get back on today and can't seem to connect. Since I only made it the one time I assume there must be a setting incorrect or a user error.

I'm using a Wimodem232, PR connection and Bobterm.

I have it set on full duplex, atascii and 9600 baud(I also tried connecting at 300 just to see).

I'm going a manual dial and typing in "8bitguild.no-ip.org:130" and have tried several others with no luck. It shows dialing for a long time and then says no answer. The others all said aborted after trying a while. The modem is powered up and I ran the ATI test when I went into terminal mode and everything looks ok.

Is there something obvious I am missing?

I don't have this device but just looked at the manual... a thought: Are you preceding the host name with ATDT? ie in ASCII translation mode:

ATDT 8bitguild.no-ip.org:130{RETURN}

If you are using ATASCII translation mode when entering this, you'll have to press Control-M instead of pressing Return.

Edited by Nezgar

Are you sure you are connected to your router?

I don't have a wimodem232 and I don't know what firmware it runs but my ESP8266 doo-dads are running [edit] Strikelink and Zimodem firmware. With either firmware (and other JSalin firmware derivatives I assume) the ATI command will tell you if you are connected to your router.

[P.S.]

I don't get any response from 8bitguild.no-ip.org:130

Edited by a8isa1

Are you sure you are connected to your router?

I don't have a wimodem232 and I don't know what firmware it runs but my ESP8266 doo-dads are running [edit] Strikelink and Zimodem firmware. With either firmware (and other JSalin firmware derivatives I assume) the ATI command will tell you if you are connected to your router.

[P.S.]

I don't get any response from 8bitguild.no-ip.org:130

Yes, the ATI command let me know I was connected.

Today I am not able to get any response from 8-bit Guild, YYZ, and ST Guild I cannot even resolve the address. Also MCRORIES Bates Motel seems down, but this one seems up and down regularly, not sure whats up there.

James

Maybe several were down all at once coincidentally.

What do lantronix devices or altirra emulated bbs's do in the case of someone already on the BBS? Thinking it might be possible they just don't respond if 'busy'

They just refuse the connection. (I've been trying to find a way around that for my BBS, but no real time to explore it so far).

Maybe several were down all at once coincidentally.

YYZ and 8Bit Guild are run by the same guy, so something like an internet burp will likely take both down.

ST Guild just needed a reboot I think. I was able to get on that last night after he reset it.

• Like 1