IGNORED

TIPI OLED and Power/Shutdown switch

Shift838

I have been messing around a bit with a 128x64 OLED like these:

HERE

These are cheap and work great. I use these on my programmable guitar foot pedals.

I was able to get one of these working on the TIPI...

See for yourself. I'm going to set it up to automatically run after the TIPI is booted.

I will be adding buttons to power the PI up if you need to as well as for it to perform a clean shutdown.

Just thought I would share.

I'll be typing up a procedure on how I did it. It takes about 10 minutes.

I may make the font bigger and only list the IP address and TIPI Ready. Hell I may tool a small PCB for it all to just plug in to the correct GPIO pins on the Pi2/3

post-35187-0-50802700-1523938760_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

I've got some Oled display support baked into TIPI services on the PI for a different display. It uses a TI BASIC font. And Logs other data as TIPI activities occur. Showing device, opcode, filenames, etc...

That was a much smaller display. It would be nice to stay integrated, all the source for TIPI services is there, fork it, and integrate the device.

There is no reason not to auto-detect the device attached and integrate it into the TIPI service code.

This is all encapsulated in the python class in services/Oled.py

We could enhance it so the taller display includes the IP address all the time. And the shorter display I've used maybe only shows that when the service returns to 'ready' state.

-M@

• Like 1

Matt - I saw the oled display in your pictures and I was curious about it. Can you share the details? I am planning to design an print an enclosure that will hold my speech synthesizer, short 32k, tipi and Pi 3 all into into one nice case. I would also like to include a small oled screen on the front. I plan to share the design when it is ready.

• Like 2

Matt - I saw the oled display in your pictures and I was curious about it. Can you share the details? I am planning to design an print an enclosure that will hold my speech synthesizer, short 32k, tipi and Pi 3 all into into one nice case. I would also like to include a small oled screen on the front. I plan to share the design when it is ready.

I asked Matt the same thing a yesterday. this is it.. I bought one too...

HERE

I would be interested in a 3D case too or the files to print one. I have the same, shorty, pi3, tipi, speech.

• Like 1

Okay, if you say so, I ordered << THIS ONE >> 5 minutes ago.

Do they sell jumper wires for this thing? If I want to mount it some place else I'll need 'em.

standard jumpers and headers or the male to female jumpers will work. I can bring you those to the fest if you REALLY want them

• Like 1

I have one also

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Anything special to get it to work. I plugged mine in (the exact same one) and I get nothing on the screen. I know it works, I hooked it up to another pi3 and ran a test program on the OLED and it displays.

nope it should be supported out of the box in the tipi software.. are you using a case that makes it possibly too far away? maybe not making good connection to the pins

I have a set of extension headers on it to bring the pins up. It works with other test code, but nothing on the screen for the TIPI out of the box for it. At least not for me. sure it's something I have missed, maybe.. does I2C need to be enabled via raspi-config or anything?

Edited by Shift838

I figured out the problem in the code on the PI. The virtualenv for the services directory is fetching an old version of the Oled library from a binary repo, and the source code based build isn't being installed.

I'll try to workup an Update and publish that tomorrow.

-M@

• Like 2

I figured out the problem in the code on the PI. The virtualenv for the services directory is fetching an old version of the Oled library from a binary repo, and the source code based build isn't being installed.

I'll try to workup an Update and publish that tomorrow.

-M@

Thanks Matt. Will you please include a text file on how to update the Rpi too.

Ok, I lied, I'm not going to push the update until after Fest West, so I don't break anyone just before the event.

-M@

good thinking Matt! You don't want to be in the same boat with Bill Gates when Windows 95 crashed at the unveiling at the conference.

You know all the Ti'ers would be up in arms and pandemonium would ensue!

I posted an online update tonight that should fix the OLED displays.

See the support thread.

-M@

I have upgraded and my PiOLED still displays nothing.

Also, maybe a bigger problem. not when I do a CALL TIPI my led on the TIPI stays lit but never loads anything..

Edited by Shift838