IGNORED

Final Fantasy VIII not working on PS3

F4LL3N

Hi all.

I have a second gen 120GB ps3 (first slim model) and when I put in FFVIII the system loads up the PlayStation boot screen but doesn't go any further. I've tried two of the discs and get the same problem. Unfortunately I don't have another game to try.

Has anyone else had this issue?

I have the Slim Model PS3 as well, but it might be a later unit (320 GB model). I tested out multiple games and didn't run into any issues.

Final Fantasy VIII and Final Fantasy IX not only worked but worked with saves I had of the digital versions! Even prompted me to change disc... and that worked. I tested out and it started a new game on FFVIII as well.

I tried out a couple random games from there, and everything seemed to work for me. I know there are a couple PS1 titles that don't work right, but I can't seem to find a reliable list of them.

The only other thing I can think of... Is your discs damaged in any way? Do you have a regular PS1 or PS2 to test them on?

Among the posts on "PS1 titles that don't work", I found one person who randomly mentioned FFVIII, but that didn't seem to be followed up or commented on either. It's always possible the different models handle the PS1 games differently, but I thought all the PS3s used software emulation for PS1 titles and only differed on early PS2 emulation (IE was hardware then moved to software than nothing).

Edited by KeeperofLindblum

I have the Slim Model PS3 as well, but it might be a later unit (320 GB model). I tested out multiple games and didn't run into any issues.

Final Fantasy VIII and Final Fantasy IX not only worked but worked with saves I had of the digital versions! Even prompted me to change disc... and that worked. I tested out and it started a new game on FFVIII as well.

I tried out a couple random games from there, and everything seemed to work for me. I know there are a couple PS1 titles that don't work right, but I can't seem to find a reliable list of them.

The only other thing I can think of... Is your discs damaged in any way? Do you have a regular PS1 or PS2 to test them on?

Among the posts on "PS1 titles that don't work", I found one person who randomly mentioned FFVIII, but that didn't seem to be followed up or commented on either. It's always possible the different models handle the PS1 games differently, but I thought all the PS3s used software emulation for PS1 titles and only differed on early PS2 emulation (IE was hardware then moved to software than nothing).

Hi thank you for your reply. I managed to dig out my PS2 at my parents in laws and that loaded with no problems. I think its what I thought initially, that the CD laser on the PS3 has gone. I am relieved it isn't the game as at least I have a means of playing it now. But you are correct, the PS3 does use software emulation for PS1 games.