IGNORED

How do they compare?

​In this topic, I'll show off internet celebrity (and possible member here?) 3DOkid's comparison videos. He shows 3DO games and their PSX equivalent side-by-side to see how the 3DO fared.

​Let's kick things off with Starblade, since UHATEIT likes the game so much

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9giA3cjPDUo

​Thoughts?

• Like 1

Here's one for the ages : Road & Track Need For Speed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuG-5sdYTMs

​I never really cared much for either version, truth be told. Comparing them makes me feel like the PSX version is more of a rebuild than a port. It's like the PSX version was the game they intended to make all along, but couldn't be pulled off on the 3DO. Or they used the 3DO version as a beta of sorts when they made it (and improved it) for the PSX. Everyone seems to like NFS on 3DO so I'll leave it at that. Not my jam.

Edited by Montrealer

I haven't played the PSX version of Starblade but am glad to know there is one! I played it on the Sega CD and it wasn't all that nice to look at (but nothing on the Sega CD really is). There are 2 versions to choose from on the 3DO game, the nontextured (Sega CD equivalent) and then the textured, which looks much better! The nontextured version on the 3DO still gives you that retro space shooter vibe! I watch all of 3DOKid's videos and comment on them (my screen name on youtube is Kyle D) so you'll see me in the comments there, I really enjoy all his posts about the 3DO. This does make me want to get the PSX version as it looks a little clearer, crisp, and the details on the enemies are awesome!

As for NFS, there are a lot of people that like the game, I personally don't like it much, but that's coming from playing much newer and better looking racing games, but I imagine at the time in 1993 that was probably amazing to look at. I dislike how SLOW the NFS game is on the 3DO but love how fast it is on the Sega Saturn (haven't played the PSX one). But the 3DO had all the awesome trash talking cut scenes that made the game so awesome, same with Road Rash, and they were taken out when the game came to the Saturn!

Edited by UHATEIT

​No comment. Everyone knows what happened here.

I got the email for this thread and even before I clicked it to get here and before the video popped up, it said "no comment everyone knows what happened here" I knew it would be Doom haha.

I just hate the stupid border on Doom! Take off the border and it might be pretty good. I also don't like the exterior border on Wolfenstein. I don;t know where people say the 3DO version of Wolfenstein is better than the Jaguar version. I need an explanation of that one!

Edited by UHATEIT

I got the email for this thread and even before I clicked it to get here and before the video popped up, it said "no comment everyone knows what happened here" I knew it would be Doom haha.

I just hate the stupid border on Doom! Take off the border and it might be pretty good. I also don't like the exterior border on Wolfenstein. I don;t know where people say the 3DO version of Wolfenstein is better than the Jaguar version. I need an explanation of that one!

Wow I never even noticed that border in Wolfenstein, that's how engrossed I am when playing it! Doom has much bigger issues that a low resolution/border.

​As for being the favorite version, it's subjective. It's MY favorite version, but it's not like I have all the machines setup to compare the ports constantly just to relish in the fact that x or y version is superior.

Edited by Montrealer

I don;t know where people say the 3DO version of Wolfenstein is better than the Jaguar version. I need an explanation of that one!

- 60 more levels.

- Faster/more responsive controls and movement.

- An excellent original soundtrack and guns that don't sound like they are firing popcorn.

- Individual strafe buttons on the shoulder pads.

- Is there an auto map in the Jaguar version? If not, the 3DO has one.

• Like 1

- 60 more levels.

- Faster/more responsive controls and movement.

- An excellent original soundtrack and guns that don't sound like they are firing popcorn.

- Individual strafe buttons on the shoulder pads.

- Is there an auto map in the Jaguar version? If not, the 3DO has one.

Sweet! This is all news to me! I didn't know there were that many extra levels either. I just hated the damn border like the one in Doom. If someone hacked Doom to ad music for the Jaguar it would be the shit! Someone's probably done it too.

I didn't know there were that many extra levels either.

The 3DO version basically has the same 30 level campaign from the Jaguar version. Then, it features the entire 60 level campaign from the PC/MAC releases. It also divides these up into six episodes like the original game. So yeah, lots of content and lots of flexibility.

I just hated the damn border like the one in Doom.

Sane people don't play 3DO DOOM. Do yourself a favor, don't play 3DO DOOM.

Someone's probably done it too.

Probably not.

This one is for me! I have a real sweetspot for this game, and the ports were poorly handled, making the 3DO come out on top!

​Check out Starfighter kickin'g butt on 3DO. DEATH BY STEREO!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjwSzIreOLo&t=0s&list=PLOS9njCPSHFJqKsvZV7iJeu8xjOG-0735&index=1

Edited by Montrealer

Yeah, it took me a few minutes to get accustomed to the controls again after not having played it for a long time, but once you get used to rolling clockwise/counter clockwise with left/right & changing pitch with up/down it actually controls really well. The different colored objects do different things depending on the order in which you pick them up but I don't know off the top of my head what. I have the manual & can get you pics if you need them. Really a great game despite some of the technical shortcomings.

Here's a game most of us agree on : Total Eclipse. I like playing this even to this day.

​The game wasn't received super well on PSX, but that's mostly because the system's library is absolutely stellar so old 3DO ports don't exactly shine bright there. At the end of the day, the PSX version is superior to the 3DO's, but I'm not going to go out of my way to buy it and play it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxRtAHuvd3A&t=0s&index=4&list=PLOS9njCPSHFJqKsvZV7iJeu8xjOG-0735

I have really enjoyed Total Eclipse, it gets fucking hard tho as you get further down the road! I need an invincibility code to get past the last few levels!

I got this AFTER playing through Solar Eclipse on the Sega Saturn and beating that. I really liked that game (it was also pretty dang hard) but after beating that i wanted to play Total Eclipse and really enjoyed that as well. I like space shooters honestly!

If anyone has a reasonably priced copy for sale of this let me know! I've been looking for one.

​This game's grapics blew my mind when I first played it.Too bad I could barely make it out of the first halllway before I died. I would really like to give this game a second chance, now that I'm a grown ass man with years of video gaming experience...I'd probably do better at Space Hulk.

​I think I prefer the slightly less detailed wall and ceiling textures of the 3DO version (maybe it's just blurrier), but it looks like the FPS is better on PSX and the game is definitely easier. This could be a plus. Again, I wouldn't go out of my way to get the Playstation game, at least not until I start collecting PSX games, if ever.

https://youtu.be/7anEaU68zxw

Alright so I tried Space Hulk and I cannot figure it out. I have watched the video about the monsters just coming at you like crazy when you first start. I didn't see any monsters to start out! I assume what you are supposed to do is literally direct all of your terminator buddies to go to certain areas and then they help you? I walked around the first level not figuring what the hell I was even supposed to do or where the exit even was!

• 2 months later...

I haven't played the PSX version of Starblade but am glad to know there is one! I played it on the Sega CD and it wasn't all that nice to look at (but nothing on the Sega CD really is). There are 2 versions to choose from on the 3DO game, the nontextured (Sega CD equivalent) and then the textured, which looks much better! The nontextured version on the 3DO still gives you that retro space shooter vibe! I watch all of 3DOKid's videos and comment on them (my screen name on youtube is Kyle D) so you'll see me in the comments there, I really enjoy all his posts about the 3DO. This does make me want to get the PSX version as it looks a little clearer, crisp, and the details on the enemies are awesome!

As for NFS, there are a lot of people that like the game, I personally don't like it much, but that's coming from playing much newer and better looking racing games, but I imagine at the time in 1993 that was probably amazing to look at. I dislike how SLOW the NFS game is on the 3DO but love how fast it is on the Sega Saturn (haven't played the PSX one). But the 3DO had all the awesome trash talking cut scenes that made the game so awesome, same with Road Rash, and they were taken out when the game came to the Saturn!

i beg to differ. Snatcher is well animated and both Terminator and Jurassic Park make good use of The Sega CD's audio enhancements