IGNORED

Atari ST disk preservation/archive

Hey Everyone,

(First off-- apologies if this is obviously covered in another post-- I didn't find anything conclusive with search.)

Is there an organized effort to archive ST software similar to Farb's project for the 8-bits? https://atariage.com/forums/topic/234684-atari-8-bit-software-preservation-initiative

I'm curious is there's anyone that's done a significant amount of ST disk dumping with either SuperCard Pro or Kryoflux and if there's already been discussion on preferred software to use, settings, formats, etc. (And/or if there's any alternate tools like 'a8rawconv' tailored for ST use?)

If this is all documented somewhere, please feel free to tell me to RTFM and just post a link. icon_winking.gif

Thanks,

-Clay

Well, there's 14 GB worth located here:

https://archive.org/details/Atari_ST_TOSEC_2012_04_23

Yeah, seen that (and some other .msa, .st, etc. collections)-- I was meaning a more preservation class archive taken from original disks with intact copy protection and original disk formats, etc. (Like Farb's been spearheading on the 8-bits in that first link in my original post.)

There are archives with image formats which contain copy protection. Atarimania in first place - there are thousands of STX images. Well maintained site. Now, the STX format is something about need to say couple words: it is basically intended for emulators, and is not true floppy image. Reproduction of original floppy from STX image can be problematic, or even impossible. But it is most spread format, and big benefit is that you can make it without extra equipment - with bare Atari ST.

In last years 2 devices appeared, capable to make very accurate, 'forensic' floppy images - KryoFlux ans Super Card Pro. Both make pretty large images, but that should be no real problem. There is even support in emulators for their formats.

The problem with KryoFlux is their policy - make not images public, conversion to IPF format is only by their team. They consider self as official preservation service (or whatever), even for Atari ST. What is pretty much absurd, to be honest, because they have no access to much of Atari floppies, nor many people contributes them. Not to mention whole absurdness of enforcing some copyright now, 30 years later .. Should be happy that some people runs at all old SW from floppy drives now - because that becomes rarer and rarer thing - considering that drives and disks are in worse and more worse shape. And no manufacturing of new.

SPC policy is better. They even have site for image share. - or it was. Not sure is it active at moment because hosting problems.

I see here main problem organization of whole thing.

TOSEC is huge archive, but that is just collection of everything what was available then. There are titles in 4-5 practically identical copies, for instance, just because some people have no clue about image, floppy formats, how to fix some basic errors. And maybe more important: time and will to do it right.

Edited by ParanoidLittleMan