IGNORED

Hard Hat Mack

ChuckH

This is one of Electronic Arts first games and a very nice one of its' time. It is bundled in The Best Of Electronic Arts with Pinball Construction Set for Adam. I think it could easily be a cart for ColecoVision. There are versions for Apple, Amstrad, etc. I don't know how hard it would be but I would think it could be separated out. I finished it on the first level way back but I needed the unlimited lives code to do it. The code escapes me right now. I've played it on Amstrad CPC also.

Please, someone do it.

• Like 4

Oy I forgot how much I like that game.. here are my suggestions for an excellent Coleco games too..

In case you did not see Hard Hack Mack.. here is a video of the Apple II version, but I used to play it a lot on a Commodore 64

I would also like to suggest the game ... Wizard ..that was on the Commodore 64

It was a lot like Jumpman and Jumpman Jr., it differed in that you can cast spells and shoot, all in all an outstanding game..

Of course I would love to see the original Jumpman or the Jumpman Collection with either both or all 3 of these games would be amazing..

I would also say the arcade game ... The Pit would be a great game to see on Colecovision...

It's a little part dig dug, part boulderdash and all great with the tank on the top right of the screen shooting the hill away on the top right to blow up your ride home.. haha

Just to stay on topic.. Hard Hat Mack is one of those games I would love to play again on a Colecovision, 7800 or Intellivision.

• Like 1

Looks like a job for Mystery Man re. a possible port of the ADAM version of H.H.M. to CV cart. Unlike A.E., which was developed by Coleco programmers originally as a CV cart before being released for the ADAM as part of "The Best of Broderbund", H.H.M. was developed solely as an ADAM program so porting it will take a little more effort and possibly the SGM for extra RAM.

I firget now... does the ADAM version contain all the original screens from the Apple version?

I always played Conan: Hall of Volta on the Apple II.

I don't know though it might have only been hard and fun because you had to use the keyboard. It might be too easy on coleco with a controller.

post-26001-0-12031600-1524390293.jpg

post-26001-0-93083800-1524390310.png

There are more screens but no need to see all pictures.

• Like 2

Oh I remember Conan it was great! It was the same company that made The Goonies and Zorro.

Zorro was on like Apple, Atari and C64

Goonies I played on C64 but was made for other systems too..

Datasoft also was the one who made the famous Bruce Lee game...

I have to say all of those "puzzle platforming" games were just great!

Again so many great games that would be amazing on any of the "-vision" systems

Doesn't CollectorVision have dibs on Hard Hat Mack? Perhaps I'm just confusing this with another pending CollectorVision project...

You're thinking of Hard Hat. An Exidy arcade game that runs off the same Mouse Trap/Pepper II/Venture hardware. Super fun game, but very different from the EA game...

I love reading these message boards and discovering so many games that I didn't have the privilege of playing myself at the time such as all the ones listed above. I'd be happy if any of those were brought over to the ColecoVision.

You're thinking of Hard Hat. An Exidy arcade game that runs off the same Mouse Trap/Pepper II/Venture hardware. Super fun game, but very different from the EA game...

I was unaware of that 1982 "Hard Hat" arcade game until now. Wow so Hard Hat arcade 1982 was the basis for the obscure & rare 1986 ColecoVision game "Amazing Bumpman" released by TeleGames AKA the unreleased Sunrise Software 1984 game "Number Bumper".

• 2 weeks later...

I love reading these message boards and discovering so many games that I didn't have the privilege of playing myself at the time such as all the ones listed above. I'd be happy if any of those were brought over to the ColecoVision.

I was unaware of that 1982 "Hard Hat" arcade game until now. Wow so Hard Hat arcade 1982 was the basis for the obscure & rare 1986 ColecoVision game "Amazing Bumpman" released by TeleGames AKA the unreleased Sunrise Software 1984 game "Number Bumper".

Then theres Hard Head, the $5000 eBay proto for the 2600. The character looks like it could be the brother of the Hard Hat character.

Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfHyALMe718

• 5 years later...

I suppose it would be appropriate to bump this thread since CollectorVision just made Hard Hat Mack available in their store.

They said they made 100 copies ("hurry" it says).  However, it's already listed on their website as available as back-order. Not totally sure what this means, but it seems you can add it to your cart.  It's not the first time I've seen titles sell out almost immediately in their store.

I played it like crazy on the Apple II long ago. Looking forward to giving it a fresh whirl on the Phoenix.

Funny how things work... I worked for EA in the early 2000's and it was an obscure piece of trivia to them even back then.  The only indication of it was in one of their corporate hallways there was a framed picture of the box art.  I remember bringing up Hard Hat Mack multiple times while I worked there and I don't think anyone caught my reference.

Just funny to me how much old games mean to me, but how quickly the publisher / developer can forget some of them.

18 minutes ago, CaptainBreakout said:

I suppose it would be appropriate to bump this thread since CollectorVision just made Hard Hat Mack available in their store.

They said they made 100 copies ("hurry" it says).  However, it's already listed on their website as available as back-order. Not totally sure what this means, but it seems you can add it to your cart.  It's not the first time I've seen titles sell out almost immediately in their store.

I played it like crazy on the Apple II long ago. Looking forward to giving it a fresh whirl on the Phoenix.

Funny how things work... I worked for EA in the early 2000's and it was an obscure piece of trivia to them even back then.  The only indication of it was in one of their corporate hallways there was a framed picture of the box art.  I remember bringing up Hard Hat Mack multiple times while I worked there and I don't think anyone caught my reference.

Just funny to me how much old games mean to me, but how quickly the publisher / developer can forget some of them.

Is this a cart because it is already available on DDP, disk and rom

I mean, I'm pretty sure I have a working rom sitting around someone on my server.

Edited by Captain Cozmos

26 minutes ago, Captain Cozmos said:

Oh..OK

I guess they wanted to make a professional version with a box and everything.
Heck, they should do yolk's on you, porky's and MASH next.

That would be cool.

Why not? I was also hoping for Drelbs.

Btw, how's Dino Eggs going?  😉

Edited by CaptainBreakout
... and Spare Change, while I'm dreamin'.

25 minutes ago, CaptainBreakout said:

Why not? I was also hoping for Drelbs.

Btw, how's Dino Eggs going?  😉

Dino Eggs is on hold until an agreement with David Schroder can be settled on.

You have to understand that a game like Dino Eggs is a ton of work and resources.  Also, who ever publishes it covers the chips, boxes, manuals, labels.
It's a matter of what the game is worth vs the expense of making it.

I could probably sell 20 or 30 of them at $60 but that has to go to all those resources plus compensation for all parties.

When a game like my Shamus remake/clone (which has evolved into something else) is 100% my own work at this point.  Shamus/Berzerk/Frenzy, theme but it's turned into a game unto itself.
All profits or losses are on me including the time frame of release.

So you then get the idea of why I would work on that instead of Dino Eggs.  I would love to finish DE but that is entirely up to Mr. Schroder or someone else.

Speaking of someone else, you can ask Team Pixelboy or one of the other great programmers to make Dino Eggs so I can take it off my back burner.

Edited by Captain Cozmos

On 4/23/2018 at 9:23 PM, imstarryeyed said:

Oh I remember Conan it was great! It was the same company that made The Goonies and Zorro.

Zorro was on like Apple, Atari and C64

Goonies I played on C64 but was made for other systems too..

Datasoft also was the one who made the famous Bruce Lee game...

I have to say all of those "puzzle platforming" games were just great!

Again so many great games that would be amazing on any of the "-vision" systems

Zorro is one of those games I would like to do but with a bit of updated graphics for the Colecovision.
Maybe a password save system.

The Mapping and graphics routines that I wrote for the Shamus clone will be perfect for it.

50 minutes ago, CaptainBreakout said:

Well, whatever you work out, please take it easy on David Schroeder. He's an old hero of mine.

I have zero problems with DS.  He's been nice, helpful and easy to talk to.
But, if Dino Eggs wants to come out of Colecovision vaporware then he has to either do it himself or find someone to cover the entire cost for free, go broke or both.
For me to write, program and produce the game it would have cost me more money than I would have received if I sold it.  Even after waiving what I would charge for programing the thing.

I could have a 3rd party produce it but I guarantee you that the underhanded weasels I discussed it with would have never given David a dime and released it behind his back.  Well, that's not me.

DS is one of the good ones and I understand where he is coming from.

Edited by Captain Cozmos
  • Sad 1

Interesting fact.

Jim Stolzenfeld programed this as well as The Mountain King (Vic 20).
go figure.

Things you find out when you go through the code.
Yup, found the cartridge version of Hard Hat Mack in my personal collection.

Which now I am wondering which version is Collectorvision releasing because you need the SGM to use it but I can't find any information on a version for the MSX.

The only other version in Z80 that I know of would be the ADAM but that is tied to the Pinball Construction set.

Info anyone?

Edited by Captain Cozmos

31 minutes ago, Captain Cozmos said:

Which now I am wondering which version is Collectorvision releasing because you need the SGM to use it but I can't find any information on a version for the MSX.

The only other version in Z80 that I know of would be the ADAM but that is tied to the Pinball Construction set.

Info anyone?

I don't know about the collectorvision version.  But , another Z80 version that exists  is the version the Amstrad CPC.

40 minutes ago, youki said:

But i guess it could be the ADAM version that has been ported to Coleco+SGM .

Yea, I get that vibe but Hard Hack Mack and PB Construction are tied together like Lebowski's rug.
and their cart is just HHM.

So they would have either done some major surgery or disabled PBCS and blocked out the menu.

Personally, I would have added levels and called it Super Hard Hat Mack.

On 7/6/2023 at 9:31 PM, CaptainBreakout said:

I worked for EA in the early 2000's and it was an obscure piece of trivia to them even back then.

Considering it was part of the first set of 5 games that Electronic Arts ever released (mainly Atari 8-bit and Apple II versions, the C64 ports seem to have been released later in the year), it is strange that then-current-day EA didn't pay a little more attention to it. From what I understand though, they still have or used to have conference rooms named after M.U.L.E. which also was contemporary with Archon, Axis Assassin and Worms? (question mark part of the game name).

Now as a publisher, I suppose their rights to the games ended many years ago, or the original development teams bought those back over the years. I'm quite sure current-day Ozark has full rights to M.U.L.E, that Jon Freeman & Anne Westfall has the rights to Archon etc. Dunno about Hard Hat Mack and the others.