IGNORED

What were you gaming with in 1995?

KWKBOX

Hmm...1995. I was rocking a Packard Bell 486 SX at 25 MHz and 4 MB of RAM. I was playing Tie Fighter heavily at the time. Otherwise I would be playing on a Super Nintendo as I think I sold my Turo Grafix 16 with CD by then.

I was then just out on my own in a mobile home by myself. I did not have a dedicated "gaming room" but more of a computer room and video games would be connected in the living room. My NES collection was small and in a rolling wire rack with wire shelves. A year later and I'd be married to my first wife.

Why do I remember this time? For me it was a new chapter being out on my own. It's a time frame I also reflect on from time to time. Also for some strange reason I dream about still living in my old trailer. It was the first place I lived at longer than a few years (my family moved a lot during my childhood) and it was my own. My wife figures this was my "happy place" and I guess it was.

Edited by Gamemoose
  • Like 1

Probably SNES. And a little bit of NES as well. Those were the only two consoles I owned because I was a kid in 1995. On my birthday in 1996 I got a brand new N64. I think I had a computer that had Windows 95 back in 1995, but I didn't use it for video games except Dr. Sbaitso, Chips Challenge, and the capture-the-flag game that came with Windows 95.

In 1995, I had a Dell 486/33 that I used for gaming and writing with WordPerfect. It ran MS-DOS 6.x and Windows 3.1. I remember buying it on sale at Costco; it came with a ton of pre-installed software.

It was a pizza-box style case, with only three(?) expansion slots, and no free drive bays; I recall being upset that I could not add a CD-ROM (and it seemed that most new software was moving away from distribution on floppy disk). I later added an original (used) Ad-Lib sound card and then a game port card that never worked well. About the same time, I upgraded from 4 meg to the maximum of 8 meg of RAM.

In 1998, I moved cross-country to attended grad school, and the system was passed along to a family friend. I hope that someone remembered to wipe the hard drive. :-o

In about the early-1990s, I also purchased an Atari 2600, and I slowly amassed a decent library of games for it, so I was occasionally playing games on that as well.

I was only dimly aware of the SNES/Genesis/PlayStation in 1995; console gaming did not much interest me, and I did not read any gaming magazines -- just Byte.

• Like 1

PlayStation, (ok released in 1994 in Japan) bought in UK on release month Sept 1995.

It was THE next level in gaming and Ridge Racer was the most awesome racer. Days spent playing that.

Nothing could touch the PS in UK.

Amiga 1200 for some great Microprose gaming.

Also some 486 for PC computer games playing.

Atari 2600 always on my gaming table

Edited by high voltage
  • Like 1

Now that I think of it, I believe I also got my Saturn toward the tail end of 1995! A rich kid up the street that I used to hang out with sometimes decided to get a Playstation at launch, and didn't want his Saturn stuff anymore. I gave him $100 of my hard-earned paper route money and he gave me the following:

-Saturn console

-3 controllers and a Virtua Cop gun

-InterAct Memory Card

-Virtua Fighter 2

-Virtua Cop

-The Horde

-NHL All Star Hockey

-Daytona USA

-Guardian Heroes (!!!)

He also had X-Men: Children of the Atom, but he traded it in for some reason on the Playstation, but not any of the other stuff. All games were complete and mint, and I still have them all. For some reason, I had a hard time finding Saturn stuff at stores at the time, so my library stayed pretty small. It still is; I only have about 10-12 games for it today. I need to do something about that!

And on the topic of "how do you remember 1995?"...

I was 13 years old in 1995. I had been gaming in one form or another for 10 years of my 13 years. It was prime time for gaming at that age! I remember where I bought almost every game in my collection and how much I paid for it, yet I sometimes can't remember what I had for breakfast the day before. :lol:

• Like 2

My collection was pretty sad in 1995.

An NES with probably 10-15 games.

And a Mac Performa 450, 33Mhz with an external CD-Rom drive and 10-15 games and assorted shareware :)

Was playing Doom 1 & 2 on a screen resolution the size of a postage stamp!

Pretty good for a 12 year old. I had a secondhand Odyssey 2, and Doom was years away.

Now that I think of it, I believe I also got my Saturn toward the tail end of 1995! A rich kid up the street that I used to hang out with sometimes decided to get a Playstation at launch, and didn't want his Saturn stuff anymore. I gave him $100 of my hard-earned paper route money and he gave me the following:

-Saturn console

-3 controllers and a Virtua Cop gun

-InterAct Memory Card

-Virtua Fighter 2

-Virtua Cop

-The Horde

-NHL All Star Hockey

-Daytona USA

-Guardian Heroes (!!!)

He also had X-Men: Children of the Atom, but he traded it in for some reason on the Playstation, but not any of the other stuff. All games were complete and mint, and I still have them all. For some reason, I had a hard time finding Saturn stuff at stores at the time, so my library stayed pretty small. It still is; I only have about 10-12 games for it today. I need to do something about that!

And on the topic of "how do you remember 1995?"...

I was 13 years old in 1995. I had been gaming in one form or another for 10 years of my 13 years. It was prime time for gaming at that age! I remember where I bought almost every game in my collection and how much I paid for it, yet I sometimes can't remember what I had for breakfast the day before. :lol:

I wonder if I could find the same deal for all that stuff today? Nice score on that.

1995 was gaming no-man's-land for me. A few years after my SNES & Genesis excitement, a couple years before I got a PlayStation and my first proper PC rig. So, I was rocking an older 286 and a Genesis, playing more games at friends' places, who had much newer PCs.

I wonder if I could find the same deal for all that stuff today? Nice score on that.

It was such a deal, even back then. Remember, the Saturn was still in stores at the time! I also knew way back then that Guardian Heroes was something special; I played that copy of the game for hours at that kid's house before I bought the Saturn!

In '95 I was in my 2nd year in the ARMY. As a result I would have been doing all of my game playing on my spec'd out 486 Packard Bell. Started life as a 486sx-25. It eventually had a DX2-66 in it running at 80mhz and I think 8mb of RAM with a 1mb Paradise VGA added in along with my SB-16 with DSP add in chip with my Roland SCB-55 attached off the wave table header on the card. Had a 8x CD-rom with I think a 250mb HDD at the time? I can't quire recall as it was really just the cd-rom, sound card, Video card, and CPU that I changed out of it. It was eventually replaced with my first actual PC build consisting of an AMD k6-200mhz in a full size ivory colored tower case. I still have this setup, though I haven't fired it up in about 4 years now since Dosbox has come so far these days.

• Like 2

In 1995 I'd had my Genesis a couple years, and also went back to the NES to play a lot of my favorites on that system, too.

We had a PC but in 1995, the 486 SX @25MHz was hardly a PC that was great for games. I had some shareware CD-ROMs but it only had a 120MB hard drive so I didn't even install all that much. It had the socket for a 487 or Overdrive upgrade, but we never bought one.

• Like 1

In 1995 I didn't play that much in general since I was very active in the Karaoke scene. I worked as a KJ in 2 different clubs during that year and also making my own Karaoke backing videos on VHS tapes. To that end, I took my VCR with me to one of the clubs and used the Game Gear with TV Tuner as a monitor to cue up the videos.

In principle, the systems I played on back then were the C-64 and the Amiga 500... maybe the Game Gear and Game Boy to some extent, but my mother played the Game Boy much more than me (Dr. Mario was her favorite game). I also still visited the arcades from time to time, more than I do now. I can't remember any new games I got in 1995 either. In the arcade, though, one game I liked to play back then was Splash, but it eventually got removed from the arcade. I was also fascinated by the new 3D games coming out there... I think Ridge Racer made its debut back in 1995 in our arcades, which was the first texture-mapped racing game running at 60 fps I got to know. But I actually didn't play it that much either.

• Like 1

Looking back at some dates... looks like the Playstation didn't come out until late 95, so I probably didn't have one yet... so as far as gaming goes, it would have just been my TurboGrafx, I think.

And my brother in law got a Super Nintendo when that came out, so I remember playing a good bit of Super Mario World.

Edited by Eltigro

In 1995 I was rocking my Jaguar with Cybermorph, Syndicate, Troy Aikman Football, and Rayman. I hadn't picked up the Jaguar CD yet. I still played a lot of Lynx. I don't remember anything specific about the year 1995, but I know that's when I would have been in the 8th grade, and based on that I can recall which games I had...because I got into all sorts of arguments with my classmates about the Jag versus the SNES and Genesis.

• Like 1

Genesis, NES, Game Boy, possibly Game Gear, and a Packard Bell 486.

Console-wise, the Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter II games were my jams then. Sonic The Hedgehog 3 was still pretty fresh and we were still playing a lot of that at friends' houses, although I didn't have a copy myself. I also got Zelda II and Kirby's Adventure for NES out of the clearance bin at KayBee (incredibly, I had never owned a Zelda game up to this point), and I was still picking up the occasional cheap, used NES title at places like K-Mart and FuncoLand--Star Voyager, Mario Bros., and Urban Champion among them. And a friend of my brother's left a couple of NES games at our house once that kinda just got absorbed into our collection after they stopped hanging out.

Our PC came with a software suite that included MegaRace, and I played a lot of that. And SkiFree. And Rodent's Revenge. And a bunch of shareware stuff on one of those "Game Galaxy" discs that had a hundred games on it (Micro Man was one of my favorites). I got Dark Forces for my birthday and played the living hell out of that for a while (and the copies of TIE Fighter, Doom, and Doom II that my cousin's husband hooked me up with).

The local Walmart actually had a Jaguar kiosk in '95, but it can't have been there more than a year or so (I remember thinking Alien Vs. Predator looked really interesting but wasn't actually that much fun). [sidebar] Funny story about that, actually: after the Jaguar stuff disappeared, there was one controller that got shoved at the back of a display bin full of other stuff (I want to say PS1 and N64 AV cables and similar miscellany) that they must have missed. At least I assume it was missed and written off when the inventory didn't add up, but maybe some manager decided to keep it for some reason. Anyway, it was there for years until my brother finally bought it in, like, 2002, after he got a Jaguar system from Telegames. Weirdly, though, in all that time, it was never marked down, so he still had to pay the original retail price, which IIRC was actually still less than what they were already going for on the open market. And the cashier had to get a manager to approve and punch in the sale because it wasn't even showing up in the system*. :rolling: And the box had a little wear from years of handling by kids and people who'd pick it up, look at it, say "WTF is this?" or "Oh yeah, I totally forgot about the Jaguar, lol, whatever happened to that thing?" and put it back. But what the hell, it all made for a good story. :-D

(*Around this time, I got a random, forgotten, NOS copy of F-15 Strike Eagle at Target, and had a similar situation.) [/sidebar]

I remember I really wanted a PlayStation for Christmas that year, but that was another year away.

• Like 2

In 1995, last year of community college, I was still using my Atari STe but wanted to get a 486 or Pentium PC which were very expensive at the time. Console-wise I completely skipped the 16-bit generation and wasn't impressed with the 32-bit ones which were too experimental with 3D graphics.

Oddly enough this was when i first got into "retro gaming" since I felt the gameplay part was being neglicted by all the new stuff. Managed to buy a used Atari 2600 from thenewsgroups and picked a large collection of carts from thirft stores for a buck each.

It would be a couple years later where I would get a Playstation (for FF7 & arcade collections) and then a Pentium II PC...

• Like 1

Console-wise I was still rocking the SNES and Genesis. I did get a PS1 for Christmas that year.

The family had a 486 computer (not sure the speed). Remember getting Dark Forces @ Babagages when that was released. Someone mention Tie Fighter - another pc game I was heavily into.

I was also heavy into the arcade scene in the era. I picked up I "believe" my fifth game - Atari 720 from a local operator. I'll never forget because that summer of '95 was brutal. Thinking we were fighting a drought in the midwest at that time. Back to the game, it was in one of his storage units, trying to dig it out.. drowning in sweat. Well worth it eventually...

Edited by schuwalker
  • Like 1