IGNORED

TIPI Poll

arcadeshopper

TIPI knowledge poll  

19 members have voted

1. 1. The TIPI is (check all that apply)

• A device that allows TI emulation on a Raspberry PI
    • A floppy disk emulation device only supporting 3 disk drives
    • A internet connecting device for the TI to use TCP/IP connections
    • A "hard disk" storage system for the TI
    • A off-TI processing platform that can run tasks for the TI
    • A small furry rodent
  2. 2. The requirements for using the TIPI are (currently)

• A TI-99/4a computer
    • Sidecar 32k device with external power connection
    • A Raspberry PI
    • WI-Fi Internet connection
    • Wired Internet connection
    • Peripheral Expansion Box
    • Speech Synthesizer
    • A small furry rodent
  3. 3. Which Raspberry PI will work with TIPI

• 3 B+
    • B
    • original PI
    • zero WH
    • zero W
    • zero
  4. 4. With the TIPI device on my 4/a I can

• Load EA5 programs from TI-Basic with CALL TIPI("DSK1.PROGRAM") without a cartridge in the TI
    • Load programs from the internet with OLD RUN or CALL TIPI() using the device PI.HTTP://
    • Use the Internet to communicate between programs in any language that supports DSR calls
    • Chat between TI computers in a "icq/msn" style chat room using CHATTI which requires nothing but a TI, 32k and TIPI to start
    • Play Rock Paper Scissors with another TI owner across the town, world, planet head-to head with a program written in TI-Basic
    • Load files to your storage "instantly' by copying TIfiles format files to a Windows Share on your local network OR copy V9T9 OR TIfiles files using a web-interface.
    • Configure your PI's WIFI settings from the TI directly with CALL TIPI
    • Configure your DSK1,2,3 pointers on the TIPI storage with CALL TIPI
    • Easily access TIPI storage with DSK4. which allows access to the entire file system
    • Open files stored on the Internet with standard file handlers and the PI.HTTP device
    • Pull the current time from the Raspberry PI for use in programs on your TI
    • Ability to write software that is multi-user on your TI with the TIPI variable system storing data on a internet server (myti99.com)
    • Ability to print on a network printer that is connected to the Raspberry PI (most modern printers supported) (currently text-only and in development)
    • Store unlimited files in directories on the TIPI device for use directly with the TI through DSK1-3 pointed to one directory or DSK4 which points to the root of the storage (only limited by the size of the storage on your PI)
    • Do level 3 file-IO to the storage on the PI
    • Do level 2 file-IO to the storage on the PI
    • Do sector level IO to the storage on the PI
    • Use a mouse connected to the Raspberry PI, on the TI in software such as TI-artist or in programs such as C or Basic
    • use a TELNET program on my TI to connect to internet services through the PI
  5. 5. Would you be interested in a on-line meet up to discuss TIPI and it's functions also to see demonstrations real-time

• Yes
    • No
  6. 6. Are you interested in getting a TIPI

• Yes right away Sidecar
    • Yes when you come out with the PEB card version
    • On the fence
    • Not at this time

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

With a few comments I've seen like:

"I didn't know the TIPI was something that hooked to the TI I thought it was a emulation of the TI on the Raspberry PI"

"This sounds like the PI does the things and the TI connects to it like the turboXT thing from the past"

"This sounds like a waste of time with the nanoPEB I have more functionality"

"I know nothing about the TIPI but I'm going to state my opinion anyway"

Lets see where people are as far as TIPI understanding and perhaps we should set up some "meetups" other than at the fests to discuss and answer questions online.

Cheating help: http://ti994a.cwfk.net/TIPI.html

• Like 3

note, the zero pi without the W or WH won't have internet access natively.. you'd have to do some kajiggering with usb adapters for the network

I don't think my SD-Card image would work on the older PI Zero without WIFI... I thought it had a substantially different system-on-a-chip... so stay away from that.

Supported:

PI Zero W,

PI 3 B,

PI 3 B Plus

-M@

• Like 1

The only issue I have with this project is with the side car version. I won't use the PEB version because of all my existing PEB hardware for TI & Geneve systems. I need someone to do a 256K - 1MB AMS/SAMS side car with 44 pin interface to the TI PI, as a replacement for the 32K side car that is required for the current interface. Then I will be on board for the existing version. Any takers out there?

• 4 weeks later...

I don't think my SD-Card image would work on the older PI Zero without WIFI... I thought it had a substantially different system-on-a-chip... so stay away from that.

Supported:

PI Zero W,

PI 3 B,

PI 3 B Plus

-M@

All versions of the Pi Zero and Pi 1 (A, B, A+, and B+) use a BCM2835. Depending on which pins tipi uses, the cable you are using to connect to the pi may not be fully compatible with the model A and B.

The Pi 2 B used the BCM2836 until October 2016. (ARMv7) If you buy a Pi 2 B after that, you're likely to get a v1.2 board which uses a BCM2837. Broadcom stopped making the 2836, so the new v1.2 Pi 2 model B was basically a Pi 3 model B without wifi/bluetooth. Didn't cost any less, but there were some users who needed the version without radios, so RPF kept it around.

The Pi 3 B, as mentioned, uses the BCM2837. The BCM2837B0 is a slight mod to the 2837 with the heat spreader allowing it to clock a little higher without quite so much heat generation. That combined with the new support chips on the Pi 3 B+ make it clock faster and have better WiFi and Ethernet. Technically the BCM2837 is a 64-bit ARMv8 device, but … we use them on the Pi as 32-bit ARMv7(s) devices because 1GB RAM sucks for 64 bit twice as much as it does for 32. ;)

I wouldn't recommend a Pi 1 A/B, but the A+/B+ should just work for you. And if they work for you, probably the older 2 B+ will work without much modification aside from verifying what speed it wants to operate at.

Clear as mud, eh? :) If you have a Pi Zero without WiFi, you'd probably want either an Ethernet dongle supported by Linux (no, Android support doesn't mean it will work for those USB-OTG models) or a USB WiFi adapter (again, must be Linux supported). But by the time you're doing all of that, really, why don't you just get yourself a Pi Zero W from Greg with the convenient header already installed, or pick up a Pi with the networking option you want built right in? The Pi is the cheapest part of getting TiPi set up and running.

Just to be clear, I can only support what I have.

If you have a problem with something I don't have, you are on your own, or you will have to supply me one of whatever it is.

I support the 3 types of PI I listed. That is it. It doesn't matter to me how the same they might be.

-M@

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

That's fair. If someone wants to see something else supported, they ought to send one to you. ;)

I actually don't have an A, an A+/B+, or a 2 Rev 1.2 (which is a 3 without BT/WiFi). I have 2s, and if I can dig up an extra you're welcome to it if you'd like to test it. I only need one for a2cloud testing.