IGNORED

How many homebrews released on cartridge each year?

insertclevernamehere

So I'm new to retro gaming, having recently purchased my 2nd ever Atari last December with a gap of 33 years in between the latest one and my last. I was blown away at the concept of homebrews, not even aware of such a thing prior to doing research. When I discovered AtariAge and their online store, it wasn't long before I ordered a copy of both Super Cobra Arcade and Draconian, both of which are completely awesome. Now I assumed that the 3 new homebrews available for the Atari 2600 in October and the previous 7 made available in the summer was an average number that I could expect each year. But going back to earlier years, it seems that 2017 had a bit of a bumper crop. Was 2017 an anomaly and I shouldn't expect as many homebrews released on cartridge and boxed in subsequent years, or is the homebrew scene getting larger and I can expect as many or more homebrews each year in the future?

• Like 1

Welcome back to Atari gaming! Nice choices for your first homebrews (admittedly, I'm biased ;) ).

There is no set release schedule or predictable numbers of games in any given year. It all depends on who happens to be working on a game, and when they finish it. Some homebrews take months to complete, some take years. Some many years. :ponder: Homebrew authors work on games when they have the time. It's a hobby, and like any hobby, people tire of it at times and need a break, or just get busy with other things. Development is really unpredictable. Some years have seen a lot of releases, some almost none. But there's always something being worked on, somewhere.

Meanwhile, there's still a pretty huge back catalog of homebrews to catch up on. :D

• Like 2

Glad you enjoyed those games, reviews are always nice* <hint hint> ;)

Yep, as Nathan says there's no set schedule. I was working on a new framework for developing homebrews, which I plan to use to finish a couple of my projects, but everything's on the back burner at the moment due to RL.

You may like to keep up with the Homebrew Discussion forum for projects that are under development.

* Find game in store, click Review Tab, scroll down to bottom.

Glad you enjoyed those games, reviews are always nice* <hint hint> ;)

Yep, as Nathan says there's no set schedule. I was working on a new framework for developing homebrews, which I plan to use to finish a couple of my projects, but everything's on the back burner at the moment due to RL.

You may like to keep up with the Homebrew Discussion forum for projects that are under development.

* Find game in store, click Review Tab, scroll down to bottom.

Welcome back to Atari gaming! Nice choices for your first homebrews (admittedly, I'm biased ;) ).

There is no set release schedule or predictable numbers of games in any given year. It all depends on who happens to be working on a game, and when they finish it. Some homebrews take months to complete, some take years. Some many years. :ponder: Homebrew authors work on games when they have the time. It's a hobby, and like any hobby, people tire of it at times and need a break, or just get busy with other things. Development is really unpredictable. Some years have seen a lot of releases, some almost none. But there's always something being worked on, somewhere.

Meanwhile, there's still a pretty huge back catalog of homebrews to catch up on. :D

Thanks so much for the responses guys, although it is a little disappointing to see there probably won't be homebrews of SCA's and Draconian's calibre every year. I have checked out the homebrew discussion forum as recommended and will definitely be visiting that on a regular basis and ok, I get the hint, I shall post glowing reviews for BOTH games soon.

Thanks so much for the responses guys, although it is a little disappointing to see there probably won't be homebrews of SCA's and Draconian's calibre every year. I have checked out the homebrew discussion forum as recommended and will definitely be visiting that on a regular basis and ok, I get the hint, I shall post glowing reviews for BOTH games soon.

Atariage is a great place for Homebrews, however it is not the only place there are multiple sites that have homebrew games for Atari.