IGNORED

Robotron 2084 stupidity

atari2600land

I just got Robotron: 2084 for the Atari 7800. Boy am I disappointed. As it turns out, you have to move the joystick and fire at the same time, ultimately you end up moving the guy as well as shooting, most of the time running into a robotron. Am I the only one who finds this annoying? If I ever want to play Robotron again I guess I'll use the N64 version.

• Like 1

Can get yourself a CX40 joystick coupler, plug a joystick in #2 and move with left and fire with right...

http://atariage.com/manual_html_page.php?SoftwareLabelID=708

...or ask Dan about his 3D printed CX24 adapter if you want to go that route:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/272541-7800-controller-project/page-1?hl=+7800%20+controller%20+project

-edit- Oh yeah, and there's Edladdin's twin stick too.

• Like 2

If you have 2 controllers plugged in you play just like the arcade one moves and the other shoots whatever direction you you point your stick at. The trick is rigging the sticks in some sort of coupler or buy a Edladdin Super Twin 78 controller like a few of us have done. Then it is JUST LIKE THE ARCADE.

• Like 6

I know it sounds crazy to spend that much money on a controller for one game. IMO it is worth it for ROBOTRON 2084 on the 7800. You can also us it as a single player controller or less convenient use it for 2 player games also.

Don't forget T:ME Salvo and Railslider :-D

• Like 2

Or, you could also build your own if you want a budget arcade-style controller. Just don't cheap out on the joysticks. I think all you really need is to build it like a 2600 twin stick. Not even sure you need the buttons for any games.

• Like 1

How did you think it would work?

If you look at a 7800 controller what control scheme would have worked better for robotron 2084?

I was thinking have the fire button be for shooting in the last direction the joystick was pointed. For example, if I went to the extreme right of the screen and wanted to shoot left, I would just push it left a tad and then not have to keep pressing left for the duration of when I wanted to shoot left.

• Like 1

How did you think it would work?

If you look at a 7800 controller what control scheme would have worked better for robotron 2084?

first thing that popped in my head was tank controls, hold one button + joystick for move, let go aim and use the other to fire

is this any better? I dunno, but I dont think any ports ever tried this ... maybe better than walking into the thing your shooting at but not as fluid as 2 sticks

Edited by Osgeld

Simple, cheap, effective, and satisfying:

post-19903-0-04980800-1524191137_thumb.jpg

Just last weekend, I made this with a couple of Wico BOSS joysticks I'd had for a long time but never used (don't really like the thumb button), attached to a piece of plywood with some velcro straps I had in the garage.

Fits on my lap and works GREAT with Robotron. As a bonus, it turns out I also really like using the right joystick when playing Jr Pacman.

• Like 7

I don't mind the 7800 (single-stick) controls much, though that's probably because I played the 7800 version more than the arcade overall. It does take a little 'run THEN gun' technique practice though. I suppose a Llamatron-style setup where the button locks firing direction or the second button fires in reverse would've been a good idea though.

Considering I've achieved scores approaching a million points with just a single Suncom Tac-2 on the medium difficulty, I wouldn't call it unplayable as-is.

• Like 1

I was thinking have the fire button be for shooting in the last direction the joystick was pointed. For example, if I went to the extreme right of the screen and wanted to shoot left, I would just push it left a tad and then not have to keep pressing left for the duration of when I wanted to shoot left.

I agree with you; and what you're thinking about is exactly the way the Atari 8-Bit Computer - Robotron 2084 (and most likely the 5200 version) functions when using a single joystick. This version also supports dual joystick operation.

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 1

Building your own "coupler" out of a plank of wood would be super simple like fiddlepaddle's above. I'd use a smaller piece though, paint it black and instead of strapping the controllers, drill holes to line up with the joystick bottom screw holes. Screw slightly longer screws in from the bottom and there you go!

• Like 3

Building your own "coupler" out of a plank of wood would be super simple like fiddlepaddle's above. I'd use a smaller piece though, paint it black and instead of strapping the controllers, drill holes to line up with the joystick bottom screw holes. Screw slightly longer screws in from the bottom and there you go!

This was my plan originally too but as I recall, the top screw hole on the 7800 controller is at a different angle then the the bottom one (meaning you'd need a "wedge piece" under the top to make sure it made solid contact on the entire bottom of the controller) and after I thought about it a few times, I was worried that only two screws vs. a frantic round of Robotron would equal broken screw bosses inside the controller, though I never got far enough to find out.

Jeez now I want to try this again to see if it would work.

Oh yeah, would need a shim using the CX24 for sure, but I was thinking of using something with a flat bottom like the CX40 or some third party sticks. Course, permanently mounting a pair of CX24's and using them solely for Robotron or other dual joystick games might be the best use ever for the damned things. :lol:

• Like 1

Oh yeah, would need a shim using the CX24 for sure, but I was thinking of using something with a flat bottom like the CX40 or some third party sticks. Course, permanently mounting a pair of CX24's and using them solely for Robotron or other dual joystick games might be the best use ever for the damned things. :lol:

Good point. Have to say tho, I also feel way more comfortable sacrificing 2 pain lines because NOBODY is gonna miss them!!!! :-D

• Like 1

Is there an Ikari controller available for pc?

Unfortunately, there is no ready-made, mass-produced Ikari controller available for the PC. Understandably, it would be a minuscule market to cater to in providing a fully built rotary joystick controller.

We're on opposite sides of the pond; nonetheless, from your neck of the woods, there is a joystick option available that would also require purchasing the right interface to be recognized by a PC.

While the aforementioned joystick is compatible, it is not a clone of the Ikari original. For a more authentic feel, it would require a SNK rotary joystick.

My dream once upon a time was to mod a Virtual Boy controller as a two wire/one controller for Robotron and Indiana Jones. That way it would be a twin stick one controller solution solution for games that require players to use both controllers. It would have to be plugged into both controller ports, but hey, problem solved.

My dream once upon a time was to mod a Virtual Boy controller as a two wire/one controller for Robotron and Indiana Jones. That way it would be a twin stick one controller solution solution for games that require players to use both controllers. It would have to be plugged into both controller ports, but hey, problem solved.

A similar dream, one that incorporates the highly and widely available Dualshock 2 controller, can be considered fulfilled.

Picture an adapter that incorporates not only Robotron and Raiders of the Lost Ark favorable layouts, but well over a dozen instantly programmable configurations.

A more detailed list of features for this adapter provides more than just a couple of controller issues solved. :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Robotron on 7800 is one of the best games for the system! :jango:

However, you do need to use some sort of dual controller setup as mentioned several times above.

Edladdin's Super 78 is incredible but on the cheaper side of making things work, as others have suggested, two CX-40s would work well. If you are able also consider two CX-24s coupled or bound together; this works really well for playing Robotron 2084 on the 7800.

And though it is not as free as making your own ;-) -- which isn't too hard if you are resourceful and determined to play Robotron the right way -- there are already options here at AtariAge made and sold by amiman99 for CX-24 and CX-40 couplers (in addition to his CX-52 controller coupler). amiman99's CX-24 and CX-52 couplers work great; both are very sturdy and comfortable. :thumbsup:

Edited by Fingolfin

A similar dream, one that incorporates the highly and widely available Dualshock 2 controller, can be considered fulfilled.

Picture an adapter that incorporates not only Robotron and Raiders of the Lost Ark favorable layouts, but well over a dozen instantly programmable configurations.

A more detailed list of features for this adapter provides more than just a couple of controller issues solved. :)

Holy adapter Batman! Are any of these creations still available for sale?

• Like 1