IGNORED

Leaving the Scene

plbyrd

Family seems to break up this hobby a lot. I live alone. Without this hobby, I'd have nothing.

Imho family shouldn't make you leave something you love that much...

I can imagine limiting time, space and money you dedicate to it, but leaving is like forcing you to never eat meat again (or cabbage ;) ) or leaving your favorite football team.... Good family just doesn't do that.

Medical matters are real deal, and I can understand someone dedicating 110% of his energy for family matters.

ps. Even then, one should be able to find a moment of solitude on toilet seat perhaps, and read forums and play a game or two ;)

• Like 5

Imho family shouldn't make you leave something you love that much...

I can imagine limiting time, space and money you dedicate to it, but leaving is like forcing you to never eat meat again (or cabbage [emoji6] ) or leaving your favorite football team.... Good family just doesn't do that.

Medical matters are real deal, and I can understand someone dedicating 110% of his energy for family matters.

ps. Even then, one should be able to find a moment of solitude on toilet seat perhaps, and read forums and play a game or two ;)

That’s how I see it as well. Family should come first. Within a family is a group of individuals that have their own lives their living. With their own likes and dislikes and their own choices that should receive support by loving family members. As long as those choices aren’t harming the other family members you should be supported. That’s what makes a healthy family imho. Otherwise I don’t understand the word family I guess. I love each of my children and spouse enough to support their needs and some of their wants. I can’t give each of them a Ferrari ofcourse, but I can help them be happy the best I can. Material possessions don’t bring true happiness imho, but having nothing isn’t happy either. The best thing each family member can give to each other is respect and kindness. The rest usually takes care of itself if those two things are fully functioning. Edited by adamchevy
  • Like 1

... As long as those choices aren’t harming the other family members you should be supported. That’s what makes a healthy family imho.

Exactly :)

I told my wife years ago: "You're so lucky to have a husband with such a benign hobby as mine. I'm not drinking much, don't go to soccer matches, don't spend money on ski equipment, petrol for cars, am not chasing skirts and I mostly stay home ..." ;)

Ok, sometimes I stay awake till early morning coding something and am not capable for anything serious tomorrow, but hey - that's where family should kick in and let you sleep longer and make you a nice lunch :)

• Like 1

Exactly [emoji4]

I told my wife years ago: "You're so lucky to have a husband with such a benign hobby as mine. I'm not drinking much, don't go to soccer matches, don't spend money on ski equipment, petrol for cars, am not chasing skirts and I mostly stay home ..." [emoji6]

Ok, sometimes I stay awake till early morning coding something and am not capable for anything serious tomorrow, but hey - that's where family should kick in and let you sleep longer and make you a nice lunch :)

I don’t have any other hobbies besides Atari games and programming. Well I play the occasional SNES or NES game, but that’s it. I allocate my drinking/smoking/hooker money completely towards Atari stuff. I never have done those other things, but if I did I wouldn’t have as much time or money for my Atari hobby. Edited by adamchevy
  • Like 1

Family seems to break up this hobby a lot. I live alone. Without this hobby, I'd have nothing.

I'm a lucky man. Among her other positive traits, my live-in girlfriend is completely supportive of (and takes part in) my retro- computer and video game hobby.

• Like 3

I'm a lucky man. Among her other positive traits, my live-in girlfriend is completely supportive of (and takes part in) my retro- computer and video game hobby.

Mine does not take part, but she is encouraging. Now, she will play some NES, Genesis, and 2600 games with me since she was brought up on the ol' consoles.

• Like 1

Mine is similar. She doesn't always actively seek out vintage game and computer things, but appreciates them for what they are. She'll help with projects or buy things and tools I need. She also has a comprehensive emulation machine and will play classic games from time to time.

On thing she will absolutely not allow IN the house are craigslist junk hauls or bulk estate lots. That has to stay in the garage and be sorted through rather quickly.

She herself had recently gotten rid of all her Vax stuff. The systems and all the documentation that was consuming the cellar, but not before having had scanned and photographed everything.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

And there you go. Cannot make a decision around the scene without someone attacking you.

As for taking down all my stuff; It's mine to take down. It's mine to withhold from society. It's mine to do with what I want to do with it. I don't want ANY temptation to come back. I don't want any unfinished projects hanging around my neck to take me away from my family.

I have been nothing but giving to this community. I've built all kinds of software for other people to use and didn't ask a penny for any of it. I've earned some respect and there are those who barely do anything that want to tear other people down. I'm done with it all. I've got a few things to sell and when they're gone I'm not looking back.

All the respect you earned was just wasted by just deleting or taking down all the projects you had without allowing people to continue your work.

People are always sad to see someone go and if they run projects that people like, offcourse you can expect backlash if you take down or just delete everything.

Imagine if linus torvalds just said : Fuck it, i'm deleting all my code , goodbye. That would also not be very well received.

Has nothing to do with you personally or others not respecting your change of priorities but the way you just throw this out there and deleting a part of the commodore scene is just anti social.

Edited by metro2005
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...