IGNORED

Night Trap coming to Switch

Rick Dangerous

Yes it was Howard Lincoln. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_Trap#United_States_congressional_hearings

Night Trap designer Rob Fulop was irked that his relatively tame game was being compared to Mortal Kombat, which features a character ripping the heart out of a defeated opponent. Nintendo senior vice president Howard Lincoln testified in front of the committee, stating Night Trap would never appear on a Nintendo system because it did not pass their guidelines. Fulop later explained that Lincoln was referring to the technical guidelines; the game could not run on a Nintendo system due to the lack of a CD-ROM drive, but Lincoln made it sound as if the game was unworthy of Nintendo's moral standards. Critics noted this as a deliberate move from Nintendo to distance themselves from the scandal and make Sega look unfavorable.[9]

• Like 2

Yeah, this game was pretty fun, will definitely try to get a copy for Switch.

The best FMV game of this style, that i've played anyway, is the game Voyeur, for CD-i and Mac. You search around rooms, watch videos, read clues, etc. to stop a murder before it happens, or at least bust the perp by sending a tape to the police.

It's much less "random luck" than Night Trap and is a really good (yet awesomely cheesy) experience overall. I hope that gets a modern hi-res release someday, but i'm not holding my breath...lol

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I skipped it the first time and feel nothing about the remake. Yes it was used in the congressional hearings about violence in video games. The big irony is that testimony all took place the day before DOOM came out.

Enjoy your dumb game! RIP Dana Plato.

Been though it few times now. Must say I really enjoy this "dumb" game. It is dumb that's for sure....but I dig it!!!

I feel like I pre-ordered this months ago. Any way to figure out when these LRG games are actually going to ship?

Not really unfortunately. Keep an eye on their twitter and I talk with other people in NintendoLife to see if they received anything yet. LRG says the production time is slow, but I already have almost every SRG release. Maybe slow in for the NA region. I only have releases 1,2 and 3 so far. I am waiting for the rest.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yeah, this game was pretty fun, will definitely try to get a copy for Switch.

The best FMV game of this style, that i've played anyway, is the game Voyeur, for CD-i and Mac. You search around rooms, watch videos, read clues, etc. to stop a murder before it happens, or at least bust the perp by sending a tape to the police.

It's much less "random luck" than Night Trap and is a really good (yet awesomely cheesy) experience overall. I hope that gets a modern hi-res release someday, but i'm not holding my breath...lol

I love this game and also own on the 3do - Double Switch on the Mega CD was another very similar game with famous actors such as Corey Haim, Debbie Harry (from Blondie) and R Lee Ermey (Drill Instructor from Full Metal Jacket). Trapping the bad guys is the aim here also.

A good "recent" FMV game is Late Shift - great acting and a story which changes based on your decisions. Well worth a look. It is on the e-shop.

I love this game and also own on the 3do - Double Switch on the Mega CD was another very similar game with famous actors such as Corey Haim, Debbie Harry (from Blondie) and R Lee Ermey (Drill Instructor from Full Metal Jacket). Trapping the bad guys is the aim here also.

A good "recent" FMV game is Late Shift - great acting and a story which changes based on your decisions. Well worth a look. It is on the e-shop.

My other copy of Night Trap is from Sega CD. I agree about Late Shift. $12.99 is not a bad price for it, but it also pops up in the weekly discounts section of the eShop on occasion as well. Wales Interactive has another FMV game coming out called "The Shapeshifting Detective" which also looks interesting.

My other copy of Night Trap is from Sega CD. I agree about Late Shift. $12.99 is not a bad price for it, but it also pops up in the weekly discounts section of the eShop on occasion as well. Wales Interactive has another FMV game coming out called "The Shapeshifting Detective" which also looks interesting.

I am watching The Shapeshifting Detective and will pick it up. Not quite out in the UK yet - next week I think. They also did "The Bunker". I have not played this but does look pretty good.

I completed Night Shift last night, on the Switch. Much easier compared to the original versions (due to the thumbnails showing movement). Not yet achieved a perfect score but pleased I have finally completed after pretty much 25 years playing !!

I am watching The Shapeshifting Detective and will pick it up. Not quite out in the UK yet - next week I think. They also did "The Bunker". I have not played this but does look pretty good.

I completed Night Shift last night, on the Switch. Much easier compared to the original versions (due to the thumbnails showing movement). Not yet achieved a perfect score but pleased I have finally completed after pretty much 25 years playing !!

Feel like I'm cheating using the moving thumbnails!! No movement seems really difficult to figure out.

• 9 months later...