IGNORED

gamepad where you can exchange dpad and buttons?

Swami

Somewhere I saw a gamepad where you could pull out the dpad and 4 (or maybe 2) action buttons as short little cylinders and swap their positions, so you had the buttons on the left and the dpad on the right. I'm thinking it was either a PSX or PC gameport gamepad, but small chance it might be for another console. I have looked for about 90 min with various search terms on google with "all" and "images" but can't find it.

The gravis pad I remember that too, it had a switch to flip to get to left or right hand mode. When they ditched that, they went with the Pro which swiped the PS1 controller molding and carried over the optional joystick mode where you could screw a stick into the center of the d-pad. I found one of those again fairly recently and have used it for old games, still amazing.

I still use the original reversible gravis gamepad with a DA15 gameport to USB adapter. The dpad might be a little large because of the stupid screw-in stick but otherwise works well.

I think the controller you're thinking of was USB for PC. I remember it was playstation dual analog style with all the face components removeable and swappable.

I still use the original reversible gravis gamepad with a DA15 gameport to USB adapter. The dpad might be a little large because of the stupid screw-in stick but otherwise works well.

I think the controller you're thinking of was USB for PC. I remember it was playstation dual analog style with all the face components removeable and swappable.

No it exists, it was the model they moved forward from that you have there. This is what I have, it's fairly rare, the normal one was just a dark charcoal gray like the N64.

No it exists, it was the model they moved forward from that you have there. This is what I have, it's fairly rare, the normal one was just a dark charcoal gray like the N64.

Sorry, what exists? This one does not look swappable; Or are you referring to Gravis's PSX digital gamepad clone for PC existing between the SNES and dual shock clones?

The only thing swappable is the joystick. I was jsut mentioning to him that they had went from the model he had with the full on rotate to use as a lefty style to what I have in the picture. The controllers that totally roll over like that just aren't made. The thing you just said is what that picture is, the psx digital gamepad clone before going dual shock, that blue controller has no analog to it so it's just like an old ps1 digital controller.

Sorry, what exists? This one does not look swappable; Or are you referring to Gravis's PSX digital gamepad clone for PC existing between the SNES and dual shock clones?

He's talking about the old Gravis gamepad, which could be flipped 180 degrees and there was a switch to invert the controls.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravis_PC_GamePad

An innovative feature on a widely supported device. It was kind of a standard, though IMHO it wasn't that great now that we have better controllers.

Barring a physical disability, I think most people, lefty or not, would be better served to learn to work with what's out there rather than hacking something that won't work universally.

the xbox 360 madcatz pro controller sounds the closest, but it doesn't do action buttons. Madcatz made some really nice stuff right before the end.

the vtech v.flash controller, and a lot of other vtech controllers from the 200x's could flip to right handed in one way or another, but not like that.

alQlQElm.jpg i2m8cCAm.jpg

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

I remember the controller with swappable modules so you could move the buttons and dpad. I think it was pc only, but hoped for a console one at some point. I could see it having extra modules so you could add sticks, track pads, or a thumb trackball, but the controller I remember basically let you swap left/right handed and wasn't really modifiable or upgradable.

• Like 1

He's talking about the old Gravis gamepad, which could be flipped 180 degrees and there was a switch to invert the controls.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravis_PC_GamePad

An innovative feature on a widely supported device. It was kind of a standard, though IMHO it wasn't that great now that we have better controllers.

Barring a physical disability, I think most people, lefty or not, would be better served to learn to work with what's out there rather than hacking something that won't work universally.

I tried the rotatable gravis pad and have found I have already become assimilated to the standard configuration to the point I can't play with the reversed order. Just curious if I could play faster/better with right-hand D-pad. Think I will try to unlearn the standard configuration just for fun.