opcode

With the SGM 4th run now shipped, I think it is appropriated to start discussing 2018. But first...

A big thank you to all the 400 people who pre-ordered the SGM during the 4th run. That totally blew me away, was never expecting that many orders. With that, the SGM installed base has now surpassed 1000 units, which I believe is a pretty amazing for a console that is 35 years old. Had someone told me 35 years ago I was going to create a platform inside a platform, I would have never believed... or ever wrapped my head around it. Even the wildest dreams can sometimes come true, guys...

But with great powers come great responsibilities as they say (although I generally prefer to quote Star Trek as my source for wisdom). That means I actually admit game offer has been a little lackluster. I mean, the SGM was supposed to bring the arcade ports home on the ColecoVision, but I don't think that has happened just yet. So let's focus on that next.

But first there are some stuff I still need to put behind me, which will hopefully happen from now until mid May. That includes shipping the 50 additional SGMs I have, shipping the 2 color line games I started offering back in December (shipping this week guys), shipping back a couple of replacement SGMs, nameplates for the 2nd run. I also have two additional and probably final color line games that were completed last year but that I still need to offer.

Then we get to actual new content for 2018. First one is Donkey Kong. Then I have Pac-Man DX which I completed last year but still have to ship. And hopefully there is one more surprise that I am still not ready to disclose, but hopefully will make a few arcade fans here really happy (it will at least make me happy).

Truth be told, last couple of years have worn me out a bit, fighting a couple of very persistent and annoying a**holes, but hopefully the joy of the hobby will get back to me this year. I also miss interacting with people here more, the many friends I made here over the years. That is something I also want to focus this year. The worst part of becoming a publisher is that the volume of things you must take care of crushes some of the spontaneous interaction you have with other fans. It is sometimes hard to avoid, but I will try my best to correct that too.

So yeah, let's keep our beloved ColecoVision (or any classic Atari era console for the matter) alive and kicking!

EDIT:

To do list:

- Ship extra 50 SGMs to AtariAge

- Ship all color line games (Guardic and Penguin Wars)

- Ship nameplates 2nd run

- Ship replacement SGMs

- Fix Penguin Adventure

Opcode Games 2018 release schedule (tentative)

- SGM 4th run (shipped)

- SGM 4th run addendum release (shipping soon)

- Color line Guardic and Penguin Wars (shipping)

- Donkey Kong Arcade (TBA)

- SGM 5th run (TBA)

- Pac-Man DX (TBA)

- Gradius rerelease (TBA)

- Additional color line games (TBA)

post-1432-0-12836100-1524406482.png

• Like 16

With the SGM 4th run now shipped, I think it is appropriated to start discussing 2018. But first...

A big thank you to all the 400 people who pre-ordered the SGM during the 4th run. That totally blew me away, was never expecting that many orders. With that, the SGM installed base has now surpassed 1000 units, which I believe is a pretty amazing for a console that is 35 years old. Had someone told me 35 years ago I was going to create a platform inside a platform, I would have never believed... or ever wrapped my head around it. Even the wildest dreams can sometimes come true, guys...

But with great powers come great responsibilities as they say (although I generally prefer to quote Star Trek as my source for wisdom). That means I actually admit game offer has been a little lackluster. I mean, the SGM was supposed to bring the arcade ports home on the ColecoVision, but I don't think that has happened just yet. So let's focus on that next.

But first there are some stuff I still need to put behind me, which will hopefully happen from now until mid May. That includes shipping the 50 additional SGMs I have, shipping the 2 color line games I started offering back in December (shipping this week guys), shipping back a couple of replacement SGMs, nameplates for the 2nd run. I also have two additional and probably final color line games that were completed last year but that I still need to offer.

Then we get to actual new content for 2018. First one is Donkey Kong. Then I have Pac-Man DX which I completed last year but still have to ship. And hopefully there is one more surprise that I am still not ready to disclose, but hopefully will make a few arcade fans here really happy (it will at least make me happy).

Truth be told, last couple of years have worn me out a bit, fighting a couple of very persistent and annoying a**holes, but hopefully the joy of the hobby will get back to me this year. I also miss interacting with people here more, the many friends I made here over the years. That is something I also want to focus this year. The worst part of becoming a publisher is that the volume of things you must take care of crushes some of the spontaneous interaction you have with other fans. It is sometimes hard to avoid, but I will try my best to correct that too.

So yeah, let's keep our beloved ColecoVision (or any classic Atari era console for the matter) alive and kicking!

What games are you currently taking orders/pre-order for?

What games are you currently taking orders/pre-order for?

Right now none unfortunately. Soon we will have another run of Gradius and Penguin Adventure, and will also open pre-orders for DK and Pac-Man DX as soon as we make the announcements.

• Like 1

And hopefully there is one more surprise that I am still not ready to disclose, but hopefully will make a few arcade fans here really happy (it will at least make me happy).

Ooooh, another game or something Project Prometheus related? If another game, that's awesome but also worrisome that there's nothing to share about Opcode's console project. I hope everything's still moving forward on that front. Super psyched about replacing my very temperamental Colecovision with one. Thanks for the update and many thanks for all you do for Colecovision.

• Like 2

.... Super psyched about replacing my very temperamental Colecovision with one. ....

Definitely a big YES on this comment.. I am so sick of having to continue to fix my aging Colecovision and am looking forward to playing all of these great Super Module games on a stable system!!

• Like 2

UPDATE:

So far I have:

- Shipped 400 SGMs

- Shipped half of Guardic and Penguin Wars games yesterday, with the remaining copies shipping in the next couple of days

To do:

- Shipping about 50 extra SGMs next week to AtariAge

- Shipping couple of replacement SGMs and 2 pending 2nd run SCART modules next week

- Shipping 2nd run replacement nameplates ASAP

So still on target to get rid of all pending stuff by mid May

• Like 2

UPDATE: all sold out now.

I still have 1 copy of Guardic and 8 7 5 4 1 copies of Penguin Wars available. Both are limited editions Color Line games with only 40 copies made, and once they are gone, they are gone. They come complete with box and instructions card.

Also have 2 1 copies of Boggy 84 and 3 2 1 copies of Cabbage Patch Kids (the MSX version) left. Those are grey line games limited editions, 40 copies each, no more will be made. We did those to help with Grazi moving to the US last year. Come with box and cartridge.

All games are $70 each, free shipping included within the US. All games but Cabbage Patch Kids require the Super Game Module.

If you would be interested, please contact me at eduardo [at] opcodegames [dot] com.

Got my Guardic & Penguin Wars games in the mail today (well yesterday). Tried them both out - fun.

Ed - When will I get "DONKEY KONG ARCADE" - he says in a hypnotic voice!

:-)

Do I have to email the BOSS - Grazi? LOL

Jeff

Seriously - keep up the good work - take care.

• Like 2

Got my Guardic. It has few tunes from the NES game Guardian Legend, which is why I had to jump on this game. This game sure is difficult, but got over the highest score, landed at 1st place. Pretty much have to either memorize the room and enemies, or take notes so you can prepare yourself. Also, catch those blue Landers to buy 2 Guardics.

Is there any news regarding Penguin Adventure and how it automatically resets on some but not all ColecoVisions? It happens on my only working system now that my secondary system is broken.

I had a CV with this issue and sent it to Opcode around one year ago to allow him to do some testing to try and trace the problem. I know Ed did some testing in the past few months but he hasn't reported any success to me. But as always, communication from Ed is sporadic and so there may be an update. He has asked if he can keep my CV so he can use it as a "finicky" test bed for future megacarts, and to send me a working replacement. I'm considering it.

I'd love to see if replacing the electrolytic caps on one of these finicky CVs would solve the problem. I have no idea if it would, but these caps go bad and can cause all manner of strange behaviour when they're not working well.

Edited by Ikrananka

I had a CV with this issue and sent it to Opcode around one year ago to allow him to do some testing to try and trace the problem. I know Ed did some testing in the past few months but he hasn't reported any success to me. But as always, communication from Ed is sporadic and so there may be an update. He has asked if he can keep my CV so he can use it as a "finicky" test bed for future megacarts, and to send me a working replacement. I'm considering it.

I'd love to see if replacing the electrolytic caps on one of these finicky CVs would solve the problem. I have no idea if it would, but these caps go bad and can cause all manner of strange behaviour when they're not working well.

Thanks for that info. I'm curious since more copies of Penguin Adventure were announced.

I figured Opcode tested it on their system(s) but they may not have all system variants & motherboard revisions. So I thought maybe the software would need a possible revision to make it work on all systems.

But now it sounds like the software is fine and the issue is more of an indication that a given system is somehow faulty rather than a more general cartridge compatibility issue among all working systems.

If a software revision could fix things I would gladly buy another copy or even just a revised loose cartridge; the original box could accommodate both albeit with a different foam cutout.

But I see now that the systems themselves that experience this may actually be the culprits. This makes me look even more forward to a new Opcode game console that would solve many issues that occur with aging original systems.

I thought I was covered having 3 working consoles but now I'm down to 1 working console which can't play Pengin Adventure but is otherwise working well.

Edited by rodge2001

Also, not sure if this has been discussed in relation to a future Opcode console but I think it would be neat if it were made in such a way that it could be offered without a casing and could be sold as a standalone motherboard that could fit and replace a problematic ColecoVisions. It would be so cool to swap it with an old broken one and still have everything fit and line up. Still have 9 pin ports for controllers but with new parts and a new cart slot that lines up with the old cart slot. Modernized outputs could be accomoated with minimal mod to original shell. Modernized power cord running out the same hole as original. Though I do recall reading it may use Atari Jaguar mold for its shell.

Also, not sure if this has been discussed in relation to a future Opcode console but I think it would be neat if it were made in such a way that it could be offered without a casing and could be sold as a standalone motherboard that could fit and replace a problematic ColecoVisions. It would be so cool to swap it with an old broken one and still have everything fit and line up. Still have 9 pin ports for controllers but with new parts and a new cart slot that lines up with the old cart slot. Modernized outputs could be accomoated with minimal mod to original shell. Modernized power cord running out the same hole as original. Though I do recall reading it may use Atari Jaguar mold for its shell.

I'm sure the Jaguar sized board could be easily "retro" fitted (so to speak) :-D to a CV case by anyone.

He has asked if he can keep my CV so he can use it as a "finicky" test bed for future megacarts, and to send me a working replacement. I'm considering it.

Well...we frequent observers of these boards know that Ikrankna is a 'finicky'... !

Just teasing you man! LOL - couldn't resist. :grin: ;)

Jeff31

• Like 1