IGNORED

Bye, Atari

w1k

hmm.. after 20yrs i sold my atari computers and everything.. 800xe, 130xe - 800xe was rare computer with old slovak mods from 80yrs.. 130xe - u1mb, stereo, etc...

ethernet cart, lantronix, xf551, xl12, xc12, sio2sd, sio2pc, sio2usb, sic!, side II, rverter, 50kg of literature, and many other stuff, mouse pad, mouses, printer

i have nothing to say..

life is change:)

thanks of brutal years of fun with this:)

Edited by w1k
  • Like 1

yes indeed, some people including myself have said we are taking time away but its never been an attention seek, sometimes life gets to be not nice for you or your family or both and yes the notion of computers pales into nothing compared to that but sometimes things get better and we return to the fold but W1k has been a pain in the backside for as long as I remember and talked to people in a way that's not right for a friendly forum.

But I still wish him well but please keep your promise this time mate..

Its rare I'm negative about a member in this way..

• Like 2

It's weird... I have been thinking several times about parting with atari 8bit, and everytime I decided not to. For some reason it is a part of me, or at least of my life. Even my wife (although she is not a big fan of a full attic) keeps telling me everytime I will regret it, so she also tries to convince me not to stop with a8.

What I did though is this: I did rent a storage where I now brought 80% of the entire collection and all the stuff I do not use. So now my room is getting more and more empty, but there is still an atari 8bit with all kind of cool peripherals. Now the atari fun comes back. Due to less distractions and more room, the focus on the most important things works better and I still can enjoy my atari, while the result of selling all, is the same!

Now when I 'regret' that I miss something near, I can go to the storage and get what I need.

Although I know w1k does not have a big fanbase, I can't say I had a lot of issues with him. I wish him all the best, and I hope you won't regret that you sold all.

Greetz

Prowizard

• Like 3

yes indeed, some people including myself have said we are taking time away but its never been an attention seek, sometimes life gets to be not nice for you or your family or both and yes the notion of computers pales into nothing compared to that but sometimes things get better and we return to the fold but W1k has been a pain in the backside for as long as I remember and talked to people in a way that's not right for a friendly forum.

But I still wish him well but please keep your promise this time mate..

Its rare I'm negative about a member in this way..

I know what you mean.... but frankly, I'm so glad to see him gone. In fact, I cracked open a few beers tonight just to celebrate.

I'm slightly bothered by your "please keep your promise this time".... has he pulled this one before?

I was about to go to bed happy tonight. :(

• Like 2

hmm.. after 20yrs i sold my atari computers and everything.. 800xe, 130xe - 800xe was rare computer with old slovak mods from 80yrs.. 130xe - u1mb, stereo, etc...

ethernet cart, lantronix, xf551, xl12, xc12, sio2sd, sio2pc, sio2usb, sic!, side II, rverter, 50kg of literature, and many other stuff, mouse pad, mouses, printer

i have nothing to say..

life is change:)

thanks of brutal years of fun with this:)

post-6369-0-75482600-1524526029_thumb.png

Atari Trail.xex

• Like 18

I know what you mean.... but frankly, I'm so glad to see him gone. In fact, I cracked open a few beers tonight just to celebrate.

I'm slightly bothered by your "please keep your promise this time".... has he pulled this one before?

I was about to go to bed happy tonight. :(

I'm afraid he has...BUT there's always hope :)

• Like 1

Atari is a great hobby whether you play, program, do the hardware or write about it. I had a small break at the end of the UK magazines being published before the burning Atari absence got me and I put away the Xbox and unpacked everything, I later found the A8 forums and got right back on board. The high score club brought the games back to life; not only having some competition but exploring the games with others and finding some great new ones I'd missed. If you become unwell or older (and probably one of these will happen) it's a perfect hobby too, you might regret leaving the scene. I find it totally engrossing and when I was not so well, programming in particular, was one of the very few things that would fully occupy my mind and helped me get through that period. So my messsage to everyone is don't get rid of everything, keep the basic setup at least if you can, what's the harm in another couple of boxes that you can get out again in the future?

Jason :)

• Like 9

Sometimes life, kids, medical stuff etc. gets in the way of a hobby.

The nice thing nowadays is, you don't really need the original hardware to play games or program on an Atari. You just need a PC, a USB joystick, and Altirra.

That said, the Atari 8 bit line I use more often than my PS4. It would be the very last console I'd ever get rid of. Too many fun games.

• Like 3

The nice thing nowadays is, you don't really need the original hardware to play games or program on an Atari. You just need a PC, a USB joystick, and Altirra.

I don't even need a USB joystick. I find the PC keyboard great and even preferable for a controller,

in most cases.

But, yeah, getting rid of hardware doesn't have to mean quitting Atari, unless you want to or feel the

need to.

Edited by MrFish

Even my wife (although she is not a big fan of a full attic) keeps telling me everytime I will regret it, so she also tries to convince me not to stop with a8.

Probably trying to keep you from doing something really stupid :D

From a development standpoint I should probably go out and learn a new language, but - like many of the ANTIC interviewees - I find coding on this little, overseeable machine (or an emulation of it) more manageable, less intimidating and just enough fun to keep me at it. My coding attempts prove that I still have a lot to learn Atari-wise so I'll just stay with it until it is no fun anymore (or I get concerned that I have too few years remaining to spend them on 30 (or then maybe 50)+ year old computers.

Fully understand if someone just has enough of it and quits. I probably should get rid of the various systems I got out of curiosity but never use, too. Heck, 99% of the time I do stuff Atari I do it on Altirra anyway but still like the feeling of having those machines boxed up and ready to use should I ever get around to clearing enough desk space for them.

I still wouldn't get bored without Atari but I'll just save the other things to do for my next "Atari pause" (of which I had at least two during the last $20 years).

• Like 3

Yeah.

This hobby can take up a lot of time and it's difficult to say a 30 year old computer is very important compared to other things in our lives.

It is just a hobby as such. For most people - they say ''Family and friends" are most/more important - but such things can be overrated.

I'd say that life is really about finding out what interests you - and following that... that is - creative pursuits as such - for others it may be art and music, etc. But for us back in the day - it was this new thing called home computing - and we were trailblazers back then. Time moved on - most of us packed up or sold off our 8-bit Atari gear - and never really expected to get back into it again.

And yet here we are - at it again, in some way or another.

It is good to connect with what you feel passionate about. I'm not saying you should turn away from doing other things in general.

Harvey

• Like 1