IGNORED

PAL to NTSC converter

erichenneke

I posted this in the general gaming hardware forum since there was already a recent thread going there. But I wanted to post here also since I am specifically using this for Atari 8-bit.

I am here in the NTSC world, so all of my hardware is NTSC.

However, I acquired a PAL Atari 800XL system so I could test my code, and also play demos/games that are specific to PAL. The challenge has been my TV situation. My CRT TV is NTSC only. My Vizio HD TV will work with both NTSC and PAL, but that isn't quite the same as an old school CRT of course ! I want to use my CRT.

So I purchased a cheapo PAL/NTSC converter off of Amazon for $15 (including shipping). I figured what the heck? Unfortunately it doesn't seem to really do the trick.

WithOUT the converter, I get a nice crisp black and white picture (as would be expected plugging a PAL device into an NTSC TV).

WITH the converter, it seems to "partially work". It is still a good picture and the left side of the screen has the proper colors but the right side of the screen is red !!

Attaching a couple pics below. i know in the picture of the screen looks really fuzzy but that's just in the photo. The TV image is actually pretty crisp in real life, but the color is just all screwed up.

Let me know if you have any suggestions before I send this things back for a refund. :)

Thanks!

-Eric

post-38281-0-37164100-1524536631_thumb.jpg

post-38281-0-69102300-1524536638_thumb.jpg

Edited by erichenneke

Hi Eric

I have seen similar behaviour on CRTs under the influence of the magnetic fields when degaussing failed.

Try moving your TV to another place within the room and see if the behaviour changes.

If this is the case, try turning off and on the TV so that degaussing occurs. That should clear that spot.

Kind regards,

Louis BQ

Hi Eric

I have seen similar behaviour on CRTs under the influence of the magnetic fields when degaussing failed.

Try moving your TV to another place within the room and see if the behaviour changes.

If this is the case, try turning off and on the TV so that degaussing occurs. That should clear that spot.

Kind regards,

Louis BQ

Thanks for the quick response.

When I read your note I really thought that might be it because the TV is sitting near a large Marshall Amplifier with 12 inch speakers ! And that's on the right side of the TV. So I thought, I bet that is it !

But I moved the TV to the other side of the room and it still looks exactly the same. I tried powering it on and off several times, and left it off/unplugged for about 30 minutes and then plugged it back in (at the new location on other side of the room). Still not change, exactly the same.

Any other thoughts?

-Eric

I posted this in the general gaming hardware forum since there was already a recent thread going there. But I wanted to post here also since I am specifically using this for Atari 8-bit.

However, I acquired a PAL Atari 800XL system so I could test my code, and also play demos/games that are specific to PAL. The challenge has been my TV situation.

First: Sent back this converter box. I NEVER have seen (or purchased) one of them really useful or with good quality. IMHO you look for other solutions (more than one monitor etc.) or buy a "Framemeister" for a lot of money. But´s nothing compares to the Framemeister :-D

Maybe you look for another TV - and I mean "TV", not computer monitor. Personally I didn´t know any CRT monitor which can display NTSC and PAL. Here in PAL-land all classical monitors like Philips CM833 and it´s similar brands are PAL-only. For NTSC gaming I have bought an old Goldstar television some years ago. It was made for PAL, has a typical SCART connector (normally not found @ NTSC TV). but can display NTSC, PAL and SECAM w/o problems.

IMHO the last CRT TV´s made in the 90s have multi-norm circuits. It´s cheaper to take the ready-to-use designs supporting all TV norms. :)

Such a TV should be also availible in the US...

• Like 1

Yeah, I am definitely going to keep hunting for a better TV solution that can preferably do both PAL and NTSC, or I might just wind up with 2 separate CRT monitors in the end.

I just figured this thing was so cheap it was worth a try.

No dice.

Thanks for all the feedback.

-Eric

Hello Eric,

Sony LCD TV/Monitors MFM HT-75w and HT-95 are both older sets (c.2005) but handle PAL, NTSC and SECAM; no HDMI but S-video, composite and component video inputs, along with Digital RGB (DVI-D) and analog RGB. 480i (525i) thru 1080i (1125i) signal formats depending on the connection used and settings. Looks like only Video 2 input is the only listed that is PAL, NTSC and SECAM compatible according to the Sony doc; this includes S-video and composite video. I have an HT-75w and would be happy to answer any questions.

Here's a Sony doc that covers both.

FWIW there is one HT-95 on ebay.

Good luck finding the right PAL and NTSC solution. :)

Best Regards

Fingolfin

Edited by Fingolfin

Hello Eric,

Sony LCD TV/Monitors MFM HT-75w and HT-95 are both older sets (c.2005) but handle PAL, NTSC and SECAM; no HDMI but S-video, composite and component video inputs, along with Digital RGB (DVI-D) and analog RGB. 480i (525i) thru 1080i (1125i) signal formats depending on the connection used and settings. Looks like only Video 2 input is the only listed that is PAL, NTSC and SECAM compatible according to the Sony doc; this includes S-video and composite video. I have an HT-75w and would be happy to answer any questions.

Here's a Sony doc that covers both.

FWIW there is one HT-95 on ebay.

Good luck finding the right PAL and NTSC solution. :)

Best Regards

Fingolfin

Thanks for the recommendation. I am going to find a CRT solution though.

I already have an LCD TV that works for both NTSC and PAL... but I want the old school CRT feel for both.

Today I can only do NTSC on my CRT.

-Eric

Edited by erichenneke

Ooops!

However, I acquired a PAL Atari 800XL system so I could test my code, and also play demos/games that are specific to PAL. The challenge has been my TV situation. My CRT TV is NTSC only. My Vizio HD TV will work with both NTSC and PAL, but that isn't quite the same as an old school CRT of course ! I want to use my CRT.

Sorry Eric, I did read your post quickly last night but obviously missed the fact you have a Visio that works already and you're in search of a CRT.

I can remember about 8 or 9 years ago now when neighbors started throwing out their old CRTs and getting new wide screens; always thought I'd grab one of the Sony "36 Wega/Trinitron CRTs out for refuse but never did (at the time we had a Phillips and Samsung CRT so it didn't seem urgent). Oh, well!

FWIW, Sony does/did seem to be one of the manufacturers (along with Vizio) that makes sets multi signal compatible when I researched PAL/NTSC options a few month back using high tech home video user-websites. I was surprised to find that many tv manufacturers intentionally make separate NTSC, PAL and SECAM options. Why the market dictates or allows this though in this day and age I still cannot entirely fathom (besides that it obviously must come down to these companies' bottom lines).

Again, best of luck with your CRT PAL/NTSC search.

Best Regards

Fingolfin