IGNORED

Basic Analysis tools?

LASooner

Other than going through your code by hand to map out paths and loops, does anyone have any tools for analyzing basic code to better visualize it? Perhaps something that takes basic code and generates a flow chart from it?

I've looked online and it seems there are tools that do this for C, Python, Java etc, but nothing for good old fashioned Basic code.

• Like 1

On an old disk I have named XB*TOOLS there's a program called REFERENCE. Others I have are CREF, XREF and CROSSREF. Only two use the same number of sectors on the disk, which means at least three of these are different programs with a similar goal. Save your program in Merge and run it through one of these and get a list that may be just what you're looking for. Another XB program called COMPRESS will shorten and squeeze things down in several ways.

-Ed

Edited by Ed in SoDak
  • Like 3

On an old disk I have named XB*TOOLS there's a program called REFERENCE. Others I have are CREF, XREF and CROSSREF. Only two use the same number of sectors on the disk, which means at least three of these are different programs with a similar goal. Save your program in Merge and run it through one of these and get a list that may be just what you're looking for. Another XB program called COMPRESS will shorten and squeeze things down in several ways.

-Ed

I think I found the first disk, I'll give it a look

http://ftp.whtech.com/emulators/pc99/pc99%20dsk%20collection/Numbered/1900/XB-TOOLS.ZIP

thanks!

• Like 2

That looks handy. Thanks, Ed.

I would not mind something to analyze Tidbit source. I have had to go back through and look for orphaned labels. I guess I could modify Matt's original PHP to give a listing of unused labels.

That disk should fix you up! Reference seems the most full-featured and that same disk has the Compress program as well. Note that Compress, depending on the options you select, can change the "look" as well as size of your program dramatically, so be sure to keep an unmodified copy.

-Ed

Airshack. You have a point. It is taken. I was a dick in that reply so let me offer this mulligan with appologies to a displaced Okie.

LA. Your question sounded like you were looking for a way to avoid putting in the time and effort required to program. That was the basis for my millenial question. It was ,in my experience, a question a millenial would ask and believe me I have had a lot of experience with that group of retarded, phone worshiping monkeys.

My "brain" statement stands as is. There is only one thing that trumps your mental power to solve problems. It's persistance or staying power or tenacity or whatever the hell you want to call it. It can be frustrating and difficult sometimes. A lot like life in general.

For pete's sake it's ti BASIC which was purposly designed to be easy and intuative. Do you really need a bunch of time and effort sinking tools. I see that (for right or wrong) as a give up.

It's hard and it's suposed to be. Otherwise every forum happy whore (not you) would actually be producing things. Embrace the pain my sooner from another moother (doesn't rhyme I know.) Makes you better in the long run and one of those that actually did something to completion (you have I know and I'm sure you will again.)

I'm sorry I said some things that got you butt hurt. I'm a bit abrasive and plain speaking but I don't lie and don't like people giving up or giving in.

Stress, fear and pain are wonderful motivators. Use em for all they provide.

Why is this thread happening? You said your peace the first time. Got it. There are logic flow analyzers for most every other programming language and I was just asking if anyone (not you specifically) had anything like that for Basic, and that makes me some sort of asshole in your eyes, fine. I really wish Airshack had left it alone.