IGNORED

Best games to get for a new 64 player?

Ok so Ive never owned a 64 before (always wanted one but just never did) and recently bought a SX-64. So far I have Sky Shark and Indiana Jones and The Temple of Doom which came with it and Castle Wolfenstein which I bought because I love the Wolfenstein games. So what other games are suggested to pick up first? :)

post-39068-0-90796500-1524625669_thumb.jpeg

Instead of repeating oneself over and over, here are a few links:

Underrated "jems", of which some suggestions are staples.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/276786-underrated-c64-jems-that-arent-in-the-top-100-list-worthy-to-invest-time-in/

Top 5 games, though some have a hard time limiting themselves to 10.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/265716-your-c64-top-5-games/

Top 100 games as voted by Lemon64 users, so no editorial picks.

http://www.lemon64.com/games/votes_list.php

A collection of 64 games included on the brand new THEC64, which though is more about what they were able to obtain licensing for than the most popular picks.

https://thec64.com/games/

I don't know if there are any compatibility issues with the SX-64, but generally I wouldn't worry about that. There is an A/V output if you want a bigger display. I see that you didn't get the original keyboard and even the one you got is missing the £ key though perhaps that is not a big issue.

• Like 3

Note: DO NOT store floppy disks there, the drive has NO magnetic shielding and you'll eventually wipe them that way! I use that cubby hole to store the keyboard cable personally.

You know, I keep reading about this but I think the real problem is over-looked. The drive is blamed but has anyone considered there is a CRT tube with rather large electromagnets sitting right next to the floppy holder? ISTR the two sections are separated by a piece of metal but is that just for RF shielding or is it enough to stop magnetic field penetration from the monitor to the compartment?

In any case, I stored disks in mine for travel but removed them whenever the system was turned on. Never had a problem.

So many games and so much magic, I am coming from a UK angle so take that into account...

1. Paradroid - Amazing acheivement and just unlike anything else

2. Wizball - Again its just unlike anything else you will ever play

You will find games with amazing idea's, amazing graphics (for the time) and some unreal music (that stands up even now)... Be easy to just get drunk on the hundreds of games, but I agree, pick a few and really give them some love :)

• Like 2

I think that as a system, you have to be willing to devote some time across various genres to really appreciate the C64. Another option is to sample games from different years.

If you are just looking for a few quick hits, you can stick to games released early in its life and search for more 'arcade' style games. There are plenty of those and many unique titles.

As the years went by, the C64 became home to lots of deep sports games, RPGs, adventure games, and very late got some great scrolling platformers. There are also tons of genre defying titles that were some of my favorites. You could go through genres on Lemon and just pick some to dive into. Or click through the years and play a game from every two years or so.

I think some of my favorites across the various criteria I mentioned would be

Arcade - Toy Bizarre

Sports - Street Sports Football

RPG - The Bard's Tale

Adventure - Maniac Mansion

Side Platform - Turrican

There are so many more that you'll never play them all. I first played Pirates! on the C64 and it is still my favorite version. It represents everything I love about great games on the system. There's a little action, some strategy, a nice story, and it manages to teach you a ton along the way.

• Like 2

You know, I probably should have included the category "Shooter," but I didn't really play those and many were focused on the European market. Katakis/Denaris gets mentioned a lot, but I'd probably go with something early like Fort Apocalypse or Blue Max.

• 2 weeks later...

So many games and so much magic, I am coming from a UK angle so take that into account...

1. Paradroid - Amazing acheivement and just unlike anything else

2. Wizball - Again its just unlike anything else you will ever play

You will find games with amazing idea's, amazing graphics (for the time) and some unreal music (that stands up even now)... Be easy to just get drunk on the hundreds of games, but I agree, pick a few and really give them some love :)

From a U.S. perspective, I agree. Wizball is still one of my favorite games! Zig Zag is another great game.Blue Max is also up there (try flying under the bridges).

I could go on and on, but these three about top my list.