IGNORED

The Official PS Vita Thread!

I noticed your scores, I just haven't successfully cracked any of them yet. :) 

Almost retook the top spot in Monte Carlo two or three times, but keep making silly mistakes late in my runs. And I had a really good Sprint 2 run going, but cracked 2/3's of the way in and starting crashing too much.

You're inching close to my Red Baron score. I'm always surprised this one isn't better loved than it is. It's one of my favorite Atari Inc. games and plays great here after toning down the analog stick sensitivity. 

43k is a great score! Still would have been 2nd on PS4 vol. 2 though. I switched to the d-pad for Red Baron and it seems much easier to control. Just quick taps to steer and I can line up shots more accurately.

To me, the lost gem of these collections is Poolshark. I'd never played it before and keep going back to it trying to beat my own high scores. Add a puzzle mode with some obstacles/blocked pockets and it'd make a great mobile game.

What's the top score on PS4? Been wondering how I compare, but I haven't played my volume 2 copy much at all and the system is unhooked at the moment.

I bought all three volumes together with a PS4 late last year. But since Atari Anthology and other collections like the two volume Atari Greatest Hits release on the DS have been in regular rotation for me through the years, I mostly ended up just playing volume 3 on my PS4 with all the black & white arcade games and Monte Carlo.

Edited by Atariboy

First place on PS4 Red Baron is currently 56,920. Second is 40,670.

I spent a lot of time going for trophies on all the PS4 volumes, but Vita has become my go-to platform if I just want to play... having all 3 volumes on a portable is awesome for quick arcade gaming.

Out of curiosity, is the Vita's touch screen how you did so well in games like Super Breakout on this version?

On my Playstation TV, I don't see being a threat there with an analog stick or d-pad. I do like how they play with the PS4's touchpad on those versions, but seem to sometimes run out of touchpad before I get my paddle all the way to one side of the screen.

I use the analog stick. I keep upward pressure and make slight rotations along the upper hemisphere. Was actually playing Breakout today to get to #1 in each game mode on Vita. Also got the Breakout trophy on PS4 vol. 2 earlier while in the groove. Analog stick on both systems. I don't use the touchscreen/touchpad on any of these games. 

EDIT: Also, if you go for the Breakout trophy, I found it much easier to clear all the bricks in Double instead of Cavity.

Edited by boog
  • Like 1

Can't seem to get a perfect run in on Super Bug and Monte Carlo. Keep getting close, but keep inevitably wrecking once late in my runs. Going to take a wreck-free run on each to top you, but it's been fun chasing you the past few days. I really like the aesthetics and physics of these two and they play great on these Code Mystics collections, so I'm glad I have a goal to chase on the leaderboards.

And I don't think I ever tried the expert track variation in Super Bug on the PS4, but it's quite interesting. Car seems to be faster and the track is very tricky with a lot more obstacles, dead ends, and 90 degree turns. And you're going downwards on the screen much more on this layout, which for some odd reason seems to be a bit trickier for me than going towards the top of the screen. 

It's a shame that track lacks a leaderboard when all 8 track variants in Monte Carlo get one. I imagine it's an oversight rather than a technical issue since it obviously wouldn't be any more difficult to extract the score on the expert course than the easy course and the emulator obviously knows already when the expert track is selected (since the track selection button is virtually displayed on the left side of the screen and is lit when the expert track is selected). 

I wonder if the person that stole the top spot in Lunar Lander is an AtariAge member. If so, I'm working to take it back if I can manage it. :)

Edited by Atariboy

I'd never tried expert track Super Bug until now either... so many branches/dead ends that it doesn't seem fair. Since it doesn't have its own leaderboard, I wonder if either mode posts to the main leaderboard? Seems like the score adds up more quickly on expert. I reached bonus time and scored 220 in one try, even though I crashed a lot. Could probably beat my standard mode score with a little luck.

I won't be chasing #1 on Lunar Lander. I'm horrible at that game and lucky if I can land once. Your current score is close so should be able to boost it a little. Good luck!

I've been trying for first on Black Widow but hitting a difficulty spike similar to what you mentioned in Red Baron.  After level 25 the game is determined to get someone else's quarter asap.

Edited by boog

13 hours ago, Atariboy said:

It's a shame that track lacks a leaderboard when all 8 track variants in Monte Carlo get one. I imagine it's an oversight rather than a technical issue since it obviously wouldn't be any more difficult to extract the score on the expert course than the easy course and the emulator obviously knows already when the expert track is selected (since the track selection button is virtually displayed on the left side of the screen and is lit when the expert track is selected). 

Not an oversight. The leaderboards are designed to mirror the high score boards in the game. The original arcade Monte Carlo has distinct high scores for each track selection, the others did not. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks Jeff. I didn't consider that possibility until Boog speculated that might be the reasoning. 

Out of just plain curiosity, how come the high score in Red Baron disappears shortly after reloading the game? I noticed the same behavior in your DS compilation several years back. Is it because the original machine doesn't retain the high score when unplugged?

By the way, if my Lunar Lander challenger on the Vita compilation happens to read this, you now have work to do. I retook the top spot early this morning with a good run. :)

Edited by Atariboy

2 hours ago, Atariboy said:

Out of just plain curiosity, how come the high score in Red Baron disappears shortly after reloading the game? I noticed the same behavior in your DS compilation several years back. Is it because the original machine doesn't retain the high score when unplugged?

No. Kind of the opposite. Most of these games don't save high scores so we have special code to inject them. Some games saved only the top 3 and we wanted to save all 10 (or whatever) so again, special code. 

I think Red Baron was one of those that only saved the top 3 or so, but it must restore them on a slow burn, clobbering what we tried to inject. In other words, sounds like a long standing bug no one has ever reported. 

For now, the likely work around is to never leave the game when it's in game over mode. Then when you return it'll restore the "full state" of the game in progress rather than trying to inject the high scores, which should avoid the bug. 

• Like 1

Finally topped your Monte Carlo score, Boog. :) 

In fact I even topped my 480 that I have on the PS4 leaderboard for Monte Carlo with a 490 here on the Vita/PSTV. Makes me pretty sure you're right and 500 is the theoretical best possible score on track 1, although I suspect it won't be easy if anyone ever attempts to try for it.

I made no mistakes and kept top speed at all times and cut every corner without hitting any grass. If I lost any time, it had to have been with my shifting off the starting line and some of my corrections on the straightaways to line myself up for an upcoming opponent or turn. I suspect minimum steering input on the straightaways is key to 500, if it's possible (I think it's okay to make contact with a competitor as long as it doesn't send you off course; The speedometer doesn't seem to waver when you hit them). 

Still trying in Super Bug. Gotten tantalizing close twice now with around 2-3 seconds/units of fuel left, but there's a long  straightaway towards the top of the screen that ends with two turns, one of them a dead end. I've panicked both times and crashed with 2-3 seconds to go. But I'm aware of it now and expecting a 90 degree left hand corner, so hopefully the next time I get that deep into a run, I don't throw it away at the last second (It's tough as you know to keep it out of the wall for a 2 minute or so long race, so most of my attempts don't get this far).

I don't see topping your score in Super Bug since you must've had a crash free run, but hoping to at least tie it.

Edited by Atariboy

• 2 weeks later...

Mercenary Kings looks cool. The box art is definitely not to my liking but im going to go for a copy. Maybe the shooter too.

Who would have thought that the Vita would last as long as the 3DS for physical releases? Its pretty crazy that here we are 8 years later and still getting them on a pretty regular basis from multiple companies.

On 9/18/2019 at 8:33 AM, dj_convoy said:

I think there are a finite amount of Vita carts left, tho'. I believe they are no longer being made by Sony.

US and European production ended earlier this year. I think they may be producing carts for Japan into 2020.

By the way, for those of you interested, the preorders for Mercenary Kings and Habroxia are now open at PlayAsia.

• 9 months later...
1 hour ago, Punisher5.0 said:

Xenocrisis went on sale today. Only a 2000 copy run so probably won't last long.

https://www.play-asia.com/xeno-crisis-limited-edition/13/70dl75

Thank you so much for posting this!!! I immediately went to their site and was able to get my preorder in. Definitely looking forward to playing this on my favorite handheld!

• Like 1

I wasn't sure if I wanted the Vita version since I already have the Japanese Mega Drive version (and it's awesome), but it sold out within the past few hours, it seems. It was still there a few hours ago. Oh well. I guess if I want to play it on a handheld, I'll continue to play it on the Nomad with the MegaSD since Bitmap Bureau is nice enough to send you the ROM when you buy a cart.

• 2 weeks later...