IGNORED

Your Top 3 Sega Master System games?

BIG D

Phantasy Star .. this game occupies such a huge portion of my brain when it comes to vids.. the music, the graphics, the frustration of being lost in a 3D dungeon all still linger in there. :lol:

Else..

Ys - I've still only ever played the SMS version, never the newer (e.g. Turbo) versions.

I guess Shinobi or R-Type

In retrospect I didn't really try playing a lot of the now-lauded games like Golden Axe Warrior or Wonder Boy in Monster Land, etc. Not sure why.. I think I gradually stopped paying much attention to SMS when the NES stuff really started taking off with games like Megaman 2 being the point I thought the games were on a total other level.

Tough question. There are a lot of good games on the system.

Thinking about it, I'd probably have to go with Kenseiden, Gangster Town, and Sonic the Hedgehog.

*edit: Or replace any of those with the original Wonder Boy. Or Alex Kidd in Miracle World (or the Lost Stars when I'm feeling simple). Or Fantasy Zone II. Or.. Hell, this should be a Top 10 list.

Edited by Austin

So you guys that like Sonic on the SMS.. did you also have the Genesis version (since that came out before the SMS version) prior, and yet still enjoy it on the SMS? Just curious

I had the Game Gear version (basically the same game), and yeah, I definitely still enjoyed it. It's an excellent game in its own right and is pretty different from the Genesis game.

Hang-On - it come with it and was the only game I had for some time, so loved it.

Choplifter - Best version I think, great pick up and play game, and just feels so mastersystemy

Enduro Racer - Again not much actual game, but so different from all the others as well as adding upgrades etc

I recently reviewed Choplifter on my channel, if anybody is interested you can see the link in my sig... Enduro Racer is on my soon to do list also, love the Mastersystem...

In alphabetical order:

Action Fighter - Spy Hunter clone, but tons of fun

Choplifter - really great arcade port, considering the hardware

Phantasy Star - one of my favorite RPG series in general, the first one was pretty great. Enjoying replaying an FM-hacked ROM with an Everdrive X7 right now.

There are other really good games that just didn't make the cut for me. Golden Axe, Fantasy Zone, Great Golf, and Montezuma's Revenge are fun. Double Dragon is good but I prefer the NES version.

Edited by derFunkenstein

I was one of the brave few that owned a Master System in the 80s. These were my top 3 of that era:

Alex Kidd and the Lost Stars

Astro Warrior

Safari Hunt

Honorable mention: Ghostbusters

As far as games I've found in recent times with the advent of the Internet and being able to import some sweet European exclusives and finally play the obscure American titles:

Alex Kidd in Shinobi World

Master of Darkness

Golden Axe Warrior

Honorable mention: Dragon Crystal (similar to Fatal Labyrinth, one of my favorite Genesis games)

• Like 1

So you guys that like Sonic on the SMS.. did you also have the Genesis version (since that came out before the SMS version) prior, and yet still enjoy it on the SMS? Just curious

I had it first on the sms as I didnt have a Genesis at the time and it was a pretty good version keeping in mind the levels were totally different to the genesis version.

Mind you once I upgraded to a Genesis I never went back.

Hang-On - it come with it and was the only game I had for some time, so loved it.

Choplifter - Best version I think, great pick up and play game, and just feels so mastersystemy

Enduro Racer - Again not much actual game, but so different from all the others as well as adding upgrades etc

I recently reviewed Choplifter on my channel, if anybody is interested you can see the link in my sig... Enduro Racer is on my soon to do list also, love the Mastersystem...

Man I loved Enduro Racer and I only found out recently that in the west we got a cut down version of the game!!

In the western version we had 5 levels repeated twice on a 128kb cart, where as in Japan they had 10 individual levels with addition graphics on a 256kb cart.

I did. I thought it was an impressive technical feat. And I was a bit amused with Sega claiming that only the Genesis and its Blast Processing could play Sonic games when there were titles on the SMS and GameGear

In some ways I prefer the SMS version of Sonic. It can't do the "SONIC GO FAST" as well as the Genesis, so it wasn't designed around it. Which is a good thing to me - I found that you often got punished for trying to go fast in the Genesis version.

• Like 2

That's really tough... may change tomorrow, but for now I'm going with:

1. Phantasy Star - of course, needs no further explanation

2. R-Type - amazing arcade port for an 8-bit. Looks great, plays great

3. Rescue Mission - one of my favorite light gun games

Runner Ups:

Shinobi, Penguin Land, Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap, Rambo III, Rastan, Alex Kidd in Miracle World, Enduro Racer, Kenseidenj, Ghost House, Golden Axe, Golden Axe Warrior, Rambo