Kenseiden

Shinobi

Phantasy Star

Honorable Mention:

Wonder Boy 3

Rastan

Alex Kidd in Miracle World

The Sega Master System was a great little console. Very underrated

Played Kenseiden for the first time the other day and man its a hard game. Also I thought Wonderboy 3 would have turned up more, very surprised!

Kenseiden is being brought up a lot. Had to YouTube that one as I've totally forgotten about the game. Now that I've seen it... remember it now (had it BITD), but not a fan of his animated gait! lol Dude prances around on his tip-toes and then there's those annoying arrow stages. Arrows arrows and more arrows! :lol:

• Like 1

Sonic 1 and 2 are great games on the system, and different enough from the Mega Drive games. Sonic 2 in particular is much better than the Game Gear version.

Other than that I don't have that much experience with the system. I have Alien 3, which is not as good as the Game Gear version (other than resolution, the GG version is more balanced), and I have Streets of Rage, which is better than the GG version but still not as satisfying as the MD version. I need to refresh my memory on its version of Out Run.

• 1 month later...

1. Aladdin

I strongly prefer this version over both the Super Nintendo and Mega Drive versions. It follows the movie story better, it's a lot more technically impressive despite being on the weakest hardware of the three, the gameplay is perfectly balanced and has a password system, it's very good looking and the audio is great too, I literally don't have a single complaints.

2. James Bond 007 The Duel

My favorite James Bond game of all time, only other one I like is Rogue Agent but I still prefer this one, not a big fan of the Game Gear cropped version or the completely different Mega Drive game though, this one is the best on Master System for sure.

3. Bonanza Bros.

My favorite version of Bonanza Bros. by far, it just plays so much better than any other version I've played, the jumping especially feels like a huge upgrade from the rest, even on Mega Drive I find it clunky and awkward, sure the Mega Drive version has more animations and other suchs little things, but when it's just not as fun to play and the Master System version delivers on the technical side with good visuals and audio in its own right it's a very easy win in my opinion.

Worthy mentions:

R-Type

I love me a good R-Type game and the Master System version is a great one.

Battletoads Battlemaniacs

The Master System's answer to the original Battletoads on Entertainment System, I love both a lot.

Sonic The Hedgehog 2

I don't care for the Mega Drive version of Sonic 2 but the Master System and Game Gear version is much more to my liking.

Power Strike, R-Type, and Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap for me. Almost added Golvelious and made it a Compile trifecta... they were criminally underrated game designers and it's a pity their successor Compile Heart is only making nudie anime titles.

Rampage and Bubble Bobble are both much better than their NES counterparts. Solomon's Key is about even with the NES version, but slightly more colorful.

• 2 weeks later...

I don’t know if I can name just three:

BTW, I had the SMS instead of an NES back in the day by choice.
1) Phantasy Star - a must have for RPGs
2) Choplifter - possibly the best home version up to that time.
3) Rambo II - The closest thing to home version of ikari warriors I could play.
If I made the list longer it would include (in no particular order):
Shinobi, Rambo III, Rastan, Alex Kidd in Miracle World, Ghost House, Space Harrier, Thunder Blade, Rescue Mission, Miracle Warriors, Zaxxon 3D, Space Harrier 3D, and Maze Hunter 3D.
After X-mas of 1989 I had Genesis and never bought another SMS game after that (until I started collecting SMS titles in the early 2000's).

1. Aladdin

I strongly prefer this version over both the Super Nintendo and Mega Drive versions. It follows the movie story better, it's a lot more technically impressive despite being on the weakest hardware of the three, the gameplay is perfectly balanced and has a password system, it's very good looking and the audio is great too, I literally don't have a single complaints.

2. James Bond 007 The Duel

My favorite James Bond game of all time, only other one I like is Rogue Agent but I still prefer this one, not a big fan of the Game Gear cropped version or the completely different Mega Drive game though, this one is the best on Master System for sure.

3. Bonanza Bros.

My favorite version of Bonanza Bros. by far, it just plays so much better than any other version I've played, the jumping especially feels like a huge upgrade from the rest, even on Mega Drive I find it clunky and awkward, sure the Mega Drive version has more animations and other suchs little things, but when it's just not as fun to play and the Master System version delivers on the technical side with good visuals and audio in its own right it's a very easy win in my opinion.

Worthy mentions:

R-Type

I love me a good R-Type game and the Master System version is a great one.

Battletoads Battlemaniacs

The Master System's answer to the original Battletoads on Entertainment System, I love both a lot.

Sonic The Hedgehog 2

I don't care for the Mega Drive version of Sonic 2 but the Master System and Game Gear version is much more to my liking.

There's a Battletoads game on the SMS and somehow I'd never heard of it. What the heck? But you might as well just play the original SNES version.