IGNORED

Zzyorxx II and Burnout Preview Released

Clint Thompson

Weird. I've just tested it again to be sure, and it definitely doesn't ask for addresses here. File > Open ROM..., select ZzyorxxII.rom, and after a few second the game starts.

I haven't used PT for years and I just tried those instructions and it works fine.

• 3 months later...

This should go with the rest of the thread.

Details of all the games the company had planned.

VX JAGUAR *

* Intended titles June 23 1994 *

ZZYORXX II : (final name)

ZZYORXX I was the first project (the first sreenshoots) of this shoot'em up, canceled

after we've saw RAIDEN II...

- violent shoot'em up like RAIDEN II.

- 5 vertical levels.

- 256 colors.

- screen size : 384x240 pixels.

- left and right scroll : 576 pixels wide.

- 2 parallax scrollings by the GPU.

- shading, zoom, rotation.

- up to 70 sprites per screen by Object Processor and the Blitter.

- 4 music tracks and 2 sound tracks routines by the DSP.

- running in 1 VBL (60 fr/s) !

- one or two players at the same time.

- scores and game settings saved into cartridge.

Preview availibility : JUNE CES (we hope !)

Master code availibility : end of AUGUST

Commercial availibility : NOVEMBER / DECEMBER

INDIANA JAG : (final name ?)

You will live a great adventure. A platform game with five levels using the highs

capacities of the jaguar to display many big sprites at the same time.

During the 5 levels, Indiana Jag (Jaggy) has to fight against many "monsters" like

Dinosaures, hunters, ghosts, mummies, verses, snakes and so...

The greatest features of the game will be, the quality of the animation, the action and

the humour. The action is completed by hidden rooms and a lot of humoristic enemies.

- 256 colors.

- screen size : 384x240 pixels.

- some 16 bits colors sprites.

- 3 differential one pixel fine multi-directional scrollings by the GPU.

- shading, zoom, rotation.

- many sprites on the screen by the Object Processor and the Blitter.

- cartoon quality animation on the principal sprite.

- 4 music tracks and 2 sound tracks routines by the DSP.

- running in 1 VBL (60 fr/s) !

- one player (maybe two).

- scores and game settings saved into cartridge.

Preview availibility : JUNE CES (we hope !)

Master code availibility : end of AUGUST

Commercial availibility : NOVEMBER / DECEMBER

Actual status of the two projects :

The code of the animation is terminated. We are optimizing the GPU scroll routines (it's

completly into GPU RAM resident and very short : it seems to be magic...).

The code of the sprites management is not terminated but it will be very easy with the

tools we created : a graphic map editor (on falcon) and a sprite management editor (on

falcon). The sprite editor is usable for the two projects and give a file with all the codes

of each sprites like size, position, apparition delay, number of colors, type of colision,

trajectory, and so. The map editor give a file with a table of the code of the graphic block

(16x16 pixels) used in each positions of the screen. On each position, some special

events can be choosed like detection or animation.

We've made two music and sound routines by the DSP. The first one can replay Amiga

Protracker (4 voices) and Octalyser (8 voices) files. The first machine time valuation

gave a result of 2% of the VBL with 8 tracks at 33 kHz. It's possible to add sounds effects

or adjust volume and balance. The second one is a FM sound routine wich can replay

Atari ST soundchip or Amiga TFMX files.

We are developping a Jaguar FM sound editor on Falcon.

The graphics of Indiana Jag are in progress : we can now map an average of 100 screens

of the game. Eight animations (12 frame/s) of Jaggy are in progress (walk, run, jump,

climb, fall, fight, and so...)

The graphics of ZZYORXX II are in progress : flying objects and a partial map.

The musics of ZZYORXX II are terminated. Not the sounds.

The musics and sounds of Indiana Jag are in progress.

BURN OUT : (project name)

It's a more recent project of a motor-cycle race in the style of 'crash and burn'.

The scroll of the road (curve, hill and descent) is terminated. All the dcor, except some

bitmap zoomed objects, are made with a new special technic of mapping . One or two

players at the same time by linking two jaguars. We'd like to network more than 2

jaguars but we need informations about networking jaguars (extension and peripherals)

Master code availability : SEPTEMBER/OCTOBER

Commercial availability : DECEMBER/JANUARY

STARNET : (final name)

It's a CD-ROM project game. This is an adventure game with action scenes in the style of

flashback but the depth is managed. The atmosphere is in the style of Blade Runner. We

actually work on a 'bad' 256 colors version for the PC CD-ROM. The screen to screen

removal is without scrolling (PC !). The jaguar CD-ROM version will be with 16 bits

colors and scrolling !

All the graphics are realised from real small models. Some enemies (robots) are designed

with 3DS. The introduction and some scenes are full motion video by 3DS.

The music is 16 bits CD quality.

The base concept of this game is the multi-playing but this concept will be used on the

next episode (...).

Master code availability : SEPTEMBER for PC - JAGUAR : no date.

Commercial availability : NOVEMBER / DECEMBER for PC - JAGUAR : no date.

For those planning to add it to Wikipedia. ..

Your welcome.

Edited by Lost Dragon
  • Like 5

ok, so...put up info on the racing games Eclipse and Caspain offered Atari.

The lovely sounding Starnet.

I do have a few more misc we would of liked to of done/could of brought to the Jaguar...quotes from another well known developer.

Worth posting it up, even if it necrobumps an old thread?.

Put up where? Always was interested in the Eclipse racinge game, never heard about the Caspain one...

• Like 1

Not sure where to put it.

Might bump a more recent thread and put it as general info regarding the companies plans for the Jaguar...

It's not intended to create a new wave of speculation or the merits/short comings of the hardware, just more back story to the developer.

There's some Lynx stuff as well, but different developer.

Glad you at least, enjoyed what has already gone up..

I'd heard vague details on Eclipse having an abandoned Jaguar title, but not what it was exactly.

Caspain? i'd had only ever heard Matthew Gosling discuss Zero 5 and even there to get the true picture, you need accounts from Caspain Software boss as well as Darryl Still giving Atari Uk's side, to get a balanced view.

So yeah, the racing game Atari turned down snippet was a pleasant surprise.

Let me have a rummage through my stuff when i get home

Edited by Lost Dragon

Not sure where to put it.

Might bump a more recent thread and put it as general info regarding the companies plans for the Jaguar...

It's not intended to create a new wave of speculation or the merits/short comings of the hardware, just more back story to the developer.

There's some Lynx stuff as well, but different developer.

Glad you at least, enjoyed what has already gone up..

I'd heard vague details on Eclipse having an abandoned Jaguar title, but not what it was exactly.

Caspain? i'd had only ever heard Matthew Gosling discuss Zero 5 and even there to get the true picture, you need accounts from Caspain Software boss as well as Darryl Still giving Atari Uk's side, to get a balanced view.

So yeah, the racing game Atari turned down snippet was a pleasant surprise.

Let me have a rummage through my stuff when i get home

I'm a bit confused here, did you say you have informations about the eclipse game? The last post indicates otherwise... Did I understand something wrong?

Heh funny burnout was likened to crash n burn. I'd say there are no similarities other than them both being vehicle racing games. Maybe they stuck in the reference because cnb was the most advanced home console racing game at the time and for a key competitor.

Because both were pseudo 3D. Most advanced, most likely not, because....Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiidge Racer!

I'm a bit confused here, did you say you have informations about the eclipse game? The last post indicates otherwise... Did I understand something wrong?

Not the Eclipse game.

Put up the few scraps i had about the canned game and Marc asking Atari if they wanted Wings Of Death type 2D shooters on Jaguar.

Other than the I.S series, i haven't been the biggest Thalion/Eclipse fan, so haven't followed them that closely.

I've just sent the misc Lynx triva over.

Misc Jaguar odds n sods will go up next.

@PeterG and anyone else with a passing interest..

The remaining odd's n sods Jaguar/Lynx/whatever info i had lying around is now up on here.

Old news maybe, some of it was new to me.

Copy n paste it to Wikipedia, use it on your own sites, totally ignore it...

It's there for anyone who wants to read it.

To be honest i only shared it as HMS could of done so much more and it's such a shame the last projects they worked on were the likes of Kasumi Ninja.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/255127-jim-gregory-hms-talkingpantherlost-lynx-and-jaguar-titles/

Edited by Lost Dragon

Crash n burn is 3d polygons, it just has a pre defined path for the camera and pre defined instructions for exactly which polygons to render which allows it to show a huge draw distance and huge amt of polygons for the time.

I suspect graphic assets Streaming from CD ROM, in fact itsmuch more limited than say Mode 7 on the Super NIntendo which at least had some sort of Physics and Rotation for the Player car. So cars are prerendered sprites, they look like tacked on, no real Connection with the track. Then its only running at 15 - 20 FPS. I found Roadblasters to be the much better game.

Ridge Racer was released 1994 in Japan i think, it was the first racing game on a home console actually using fully textured realtime 3D graphics.

Edited by agradeneu
  • Like 1

I suspect graphic assets Streaming from CD ROM, in fact itsmuch more limited than say Mode 7 on the Super NIntendo which at least had some sort of Physics and Rotation for the Player car.

You suspect wrong. Crash n Burn is nothing like MegaRace (which uses the system you imply).

The track in CnB is fully polygonal. It should be very obvious (even to an untrained eye!), given the typical texturing artifacts of the era. Somehow you missed it. Sure escapes me...

Yes, the CD can help with certain stages of the 3D pipeline, like storing the track chunks that are potentially visible in the view frustum, so the 3D engine has a bit less work (though, we're talking very minor performance differences here - but every little bit helps).

But, CnB has truly an amazing view distance, which explains the framerate.

Ridge Racer was released 1994 in Japan i think, it was the first racing game on a home console actually using fully textured realtime 3D graphics.

I can't be bothered to look up when CnB was conceived, but since it uses pre-rendered car sprites, we can't regard it as fully polygonal anyway.

Besides, by 1994, on my PC I was playing textured games for a loooooong time already.... Didn't NFS come out around '94 too ?

Then again, consoles were always behind PC (as, they rightfully should :) )

I remember when I read the reviews for Ridge Racer and was absolutely stumped how much commotion that got, despite being very slightly incremental. It became a joke for couple years, in fact.

But, if all you had was Playstation, I can certainly sympathize :lol:

I think it was around '94, when I was in university, had 2 jobs, and kept upgrading my PC every 3-4 months. Good times :)

Besides, by 1994, on my PC I was playing textured games for a loooooong time already.... Didn't NFS come out around '94 too ?

Then again, consoles were always behind PC (as, they rightfully should :) )

I remember when I read the reviews for Ridge Racer and was absolutely stumped how much commotion that got, despite being very slightly incremental. It became a joke for couple years, in fact.

But, if all you had was Playstation, I can certainly sympathize :lol:

I think it was around '94, when I was in university, had 2 jobs, and kept upgrading my PC every 3-4 months. Good times :)

In 1994 I was playing TIE Fighter with gourad shaded polys, running at 10 FPS on a 386 (which still costed 2 grands). Xwing vs TIE Fighter (1996) was fully texture mapped, but running poorly even on a 150MHz AMD K5 CPU. When we got the PLaystation it was amazing to see 3D graphics running at 30 FPS. It blew us away. Im not sure what Fantasy High End PC you had (with the age of what? 8?) but from 1994 to 1995 the PS was the real deal, period. In 1996 we spend some Money on a 3DFX voodoo Banshee Card and that was the beginning of PCs being superior to consoles. Your timeline is a "bit" off I would say. LOL BUT - the Sega Dreamcast was impressive. I would say it beat a regular PC with average 3D Card easily. The games looked and run better than most PC games. I was blown away by Sonic Adv., Resident Evil and Sould Calibur. And I WAS a PC gamer that time, regularly upgrading my Hardware.

In 1994 its save to say the PC had nothing alike Ridge Racer or Wipe Out. I was 18 at that time and we had both, PC and PS1. And just a Little correction, in the early to mid 90s Arcade Hardware was always ahead, not by any means PC. In fact PC was pretty poor till 3D Cards of 3DFX or Nvidia wholly changed the game.

And BTW: NFS is NOT comparable to Ridge Racer by any means. Its pseudo 3D like Road Rash. Which explains the high detail considering the limited 3DO Hardware.

Edited by agradeneu
  • Like 7

In 1994 I was playing TIE Fighter with gourad shaded polys, running at 10 FPS on a 386 (which still costed 2 grands).

386 in '94 ? :lol:

That totally explains your misguided viewpoint.

When we got the PLaystation it was amazing to see 3D graphics running at 30 FPS. It blew us away.

Yeah, compared to 386 :) But, try Pentium ;)

Im not sure what Fantasy High End PC you had (with the age of what? 8?) but from 1994 to 1995 the PS was the real deal, period. In 1996 we spend some Money on a 3DFX voodoo Banshee Card and that was the beginning of PCs being superior to consoles. Your timeline is a "bit" off I would say.

Like I said. I worked 2 jobs, attended university and slept 3-4 hrs a day max. Had the fastest PC across all 4 buildings in the dorm. Constantly upgraded it, for about 2 years, at which point I finally switched my hobbies to beers&b*tches :)

And just a Little correction, in the early to mid 90s Arcade Hardware was always ahead, not by any means PC. In fact PC was pretty poor till 3D Cards of 3DFX or Nvidia wholly changed the game.

I didn't say anything about arcades. Of course, they were superior. For a time.

And BTW: NFS is NOT comparable to Ridge Racer by any means. Its pseudo 3D like Road Rash. Which explains the high detail considering the limited 3DO Hardware.

oh, I apologize ! I didn't realize this is Thursday and it's stand-up night !

I simply cannot compete with a sketch of this magnitude as the people across the street are rolling on the floor. Hats off, sir :)

386 in '94 ? :lol:

That totally explains your misguided viewpoint.

Yeah, compared to 386 :) But, try Pentium ;)

Like I said. I worked 2 jobs, attended university and slept 3-4 hrs a day max. Had the fastest PC across all 4 buildings in the dorm. Constantly upgraded it, for about 2 years, at which point I finally switched my hobbies to beers&b*tches :)

I didn't say anything about arcades. Of course, they were superior. For a time.

oh, I apologize ! I didn't realize this is Thursday and it's stand-up night !

I simply cannot compete with a sketch of this magnitude as the people across the street are rolling on the floor. Hats off, sir :)

You "kindly" ignored the K5 150 MHz, which is not surprising. Yes, Arcades were superior, and you know what? Ridge Racer was one of the most advanced arcade games of that time, a breakthrough for 3D graphics. Namcos System 22. And you know what? It got a Pretty close homeversion on the PS1, which was considered sensational for that time. But keep on bragging....history proves you wrong again and again.

You "kindly" ignored the K5 150 MHz, which is not surprising. Yes, Arcades were superior, and you know what? Ridge Racer was one of the most advanced arcade games of that time, a breakthrough for 3D graphics. Namcos System 22. And you know what? It got a Pretty close homeversion on the PS1, which was considered sensational for that time. But keep on bragging....history proves you wrong again and again.

I think I said about two hundred times in last few months, but it clearly has to be repeated again: There were no advanced arcades in my area.

Literally, everybody, who played games, had a PC. A PS1, for a very long time, was a funny rarity.

The consolisation on a more mass scale back there started happening really only with the arrival of PS2, as you needed a new generation that didn't grow up playing brutally simplified, "press triangle to shoot" games :lol: