IGNORED

Baby Pac-Man

PacManPlus

Being that I've had some time lately ( :( ), I've finally started something I had been wanting to start for a while:

WMCap.mpg

Please ignore the title screen; it's just a place holder.

There are some liberties I need to take:

- I *need* to use Kangaroo mode, because I need all three colors of the two palettes that I am allowed in 320B mode. As it is, I will need to share colors.

- Because of the above issue, 'scared' monsters will not be blue. Instead, they will have a 'scared face' bitmap in their same color (I need the colors for the fruit as well).

- I will try to get around the 'black box' issue with the non-transparent (kangaroo) mode, but if I can't it may have to stay.

I may make a selection for AI for the monsters. One for the original arcade version, and the other for how EVERY OTHER VERSION of the games have the monsters act.

• Like 33

You might also consider using 320A and getting 3 colors for the playfield graphics using artifacting, though you'd be sacrificing horizontal resolution for 2 of the colors.

You could also use artifacting to get different colors on the ghosts in 320B, but I think the loss of horizontal resolution isn't worth it.

• Like 1

Video does not play. Probably have to use a "real computer" :P

Yeah by default M$ wanted me to download an newer mpeg license to allow me to play it. I was able to get around this using an another video player already on my computer, but no I don't think it will play as is on most mobile devices.

• Like 1

Judging by the footage, it's quite good. By the way, you have a lot of balls to pull off something with a 320-pixel wide mode.

320-pixel mode games by Bob (PacManPlus):

Astro Blaster

Astro Fighter

Crazy Brix

Frenzy

Moon Cresta

Rip-Off

Scramble

Space Invaders

;)

Funny you should ask... I tried it... didn't like the way it looked:

attachicon.gifSprites.png

The colors look just like the 'alternate' CGA mode. I actually have a nostalgic fondness for it, but completely understand the dislike towards it:

post-18-0-21203500-1524864183.pngpost-18-0-60724300-1524870864.png

:)

• Like 6

Thanks, guys...

Well, it looks like I had no choice but to do the dithering. I switched back to 320B (Transparency) mode, to get rid of the black boxes. I used dithering for two of the monsters, the player, and two of the fruit.

However, I still need to keep the colors when the monsters are in 'scared' mode, so the 'frightened' face will be used instead.

New Video:

MAME Atari 7800 (NTSC) a7800.mpg

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 9

Bob that looks amazing!!! As a proud owner of one of the real machines I can say it's looking great!

One suggestion, in the actual machine the monsters can see though the walls and swarm you in nothing flat... I always said that the arcade was a bit unfair and holy smokes really hard!!! That is however a very good thing as it makes the replay value very good! Whatever path you take I am sure will be great.

If you need any information, video, screenshots or have any questions about the details of the gameplay let me know and I will be happy to dig up that info on the actual machine.. if I can be of any help to such an amazing game that I really love please let me know!

Keep up the amazing work, this just might be my most anticipated game for the 7800!

• Like 4

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the kind words.

It is Baby Pac-Man. Finally it is going to get a home port. The 'pinball' part should look good as well, being that I've asked PAC-MAN-RED to render the playfield in 160A mode... So it will be switching between 320B mode for the video portion, and 160A for the pinball.

This should be interesting.

Tep... are you up to doing the sounds? You did such a great job w/ Ms. PacMan 320...

• Like 11

Yeah, doesn't play on my iPad either. :(

Can't wait to see this new game...

For those having difficulty playing back the video, hopefully the below will work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXBgmrqHDlE

*EDIT: For those not (too) familiar with the game, no power pellets/energizers is normal. They must be earned: "...the ball that is trapped inside the lane along the top of the [pinball] field. It is your key to instant power pills. Unless you are focused on increasing your tunnel speed or bonus fruit, that ball should be your constant target, although hitting it intentionally can be quite challenging."

For those interested, there are more playing tips/guide to the different mazes and pinball portion of the game which can be viewed at the Strategywiki walkthrough page dedicate to them.

• Like 9

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the kind words.

It is Baby Pac-Man. Finally it is going to get a home port. The 'pinball' part should look good as well, being that I've asked PAC-MAN-RED to render the playfield in 160A mode... So it will be switching between 320B mode for the video portion, and 160A for the pinball.

This should be interesting.

Tep... are you up to doing the sounds? You did such a great job w/ Ms. PacMan 320...

Instabuy!!! My son and I were able to play Baby Pac-Man last year when we visited the Morristown Game Vault.

Really can't wait for this one. :thumbsup:

• Like 3