IGNORED

Baby Pac-Man

PacManPlus

Thanks, guys - I appreciate everything you say...

I will post a bin soon. I just want to apply Kurt's formula to the other planes on the playfield.

I'll be really looking forward to trying it out! I just discovered Baby Pac-Man a couple weeks ago when I stumbled on a working arcade machine of it locally so I'll definitely be able to provide some feedback on how the ball physics feel compared to on the original machine. In the short time I've been playing it Baby Pac-Man has quickly jumped to the #1 slot on my list of all time favorite arcade games. :)

• Like 1

Fake news. Einstein never failed math. He actually excelled at it in school. Stop spreading misinformation please.

Please. It's in the history books. Einstein did flunk math in 8th grade, most likely because he was so bored to hell of it, he could do calculus with his eyes closed. He was severerly ADHD, possibly mildly autistic, and likely had a teacher who couldn't accept their pupil was smarter than he/she was or knew how to handle him in class. Having genious level IQ can and does make people socially awkward.

I could do Algebra II problems in my head in high school. Still can. Failed advanced Calculus for Electrocnics in college after numerous attempts. 8 hours from completing my bachellor's when I finally quit. Had to settle for an associates. Yes, it still burns me to think about.

Einstein never learned to tie his shoes. I finally figured it out when I was a teen. Yes, I just freaking compared myself to Einstein. Childhood idol of mine (though Nikola Tesla is my favorite physicist). We aren't really all that different. Einstein was a brilliant man, and just happened to be brought up in the right place and the right time to make something of himself.

• Like 1

The new 'thanks' screen in the Attract Mode:

attachicon.gif0012.png

(I just hope I didn't miss anybody... I don't think so)...

triggered__1__by_themoonlitmasquerade-db

LOL! Just kidding! I didn't do sh*t! :lol:

Anyway, I'm glad to see your continuing this project, Bob. This will definitely be one of your greatest works on the 7800.

Can't wait to see the new .BIN!

• Like 1

I'm in the same boat. I never learned to tie my shoes right until the end of the 6th grade.

I struggled in general with knot tying. I am an Eagle Scout, but achieving First Class was very hard for me due to all the stupid knots we needed to learn.

So at Scout camp, the lady worked one on one grilled me on knots all week long, including one knot that wasn't required for first class: the shoestring knot. The old "rabbit goes around the tree and down the hole" mnemonic did not work, so we divided it into parts.

I knew the square knot, and I knew the slip knot. A bow is essentially a square knot combined with two slipknots such that pulling either string will release it. Then tying a second square knot with the leftover loops ensures that it will not unfasten easily, commonly referred to as a "double knot."

That combined with low cut sneakers meant geting it loose enough that I could slide my shoe on and off without untying, but tight enough that I did not lose the shoe while running. Not so much for steel toe work boots, which I now endure retying every morning before work.

To make a long story short, I regurgitated all of the required knots to my scoutmaster on the following Tuesday evening (and to my mom proving I could now tie my shoes without her help), then promptly forgot everything. :dunce:

Well almost. My occupational therapist at boarding school a couple years later was frustrated with a bungee cable secured to a wall mounted eye hook. The cable was extremely stretchy, ideal for strengthening exercises, and would loosen itself in short order when secured to the hook with a traditional hitch. I employed the rescue knot, a specialty knot designed so that it is virtually slip proof, and a loop formed by it can be used to safely hoist victims out of harms way. I figured if the rescue knot was "slip proof" then a very short loop would also work for the eye hook.

It did. She would later inform me that the single knot I tied in early September lasted the entire school year, never once budged despite kids incessantly pulling on it every day. :cool:

I was also a late bloomer with riding a bike and whistling among other things (early teens), and am still quite proficient in both. But this one takes the cake: I finally figured out how to pop bubblegum at age 31. No longer content with just being a chewer, I've been happily popping bubbles for 6 years now... :D

• Like 1

Yeah, it just takes longer. Like programming in 7800 Basic. I was trying to grasp the whole idea of bankswitching and how it worked but I was totally confused by the whole concept. It didn't kick in until later on. Maybe after the coding for the gravity in BPM is done, it could be implemented into 7800Basic?

And as for when Baby Pac-Man is finished, I want to buy a copy since the last time I actually played it was at one of those Showbiz/Chuck E. Cheeses 20-30 years ago.

I looked at gameplay for BPM on a Mame emulator off of YouTube. I don't know if some of these pics could be helpful but it seems the ball shoots from the pit center and to the left hitting the bottom half of the red bumper. I'm not sure if that happens every time.

post-18158-0-35783700-1537340595_thumb.jpg

The second pic is when the left flipper hitting the ball to the tunnel where a red mark is indicated on the flipper.

Likewise, if the right flipper hits the ball near the tip, it will head toward the left (FRUITS) tunnel.

post-18158-0-05611200-1537340613_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Please. It's in the history books. Einstein did flunk math in 8th grade, most likely because he was so bored to hell of it, he could do calculus with his eyes closed. He was severerly ADHD, possibly mildly autistic, and likely had a teacher who couldn't accept their pupil was smarter than he/she was or knew how to handle him in class. Having genious level IQ can and does make people socially awkward.

I could do Algebra II problems in my head in high school. Still can. Failed advanced Calculus for Electrocnics in college after numerous attempts. 8 hours from completing my bachellor's when I finally quit. Had to settle for an associates. Yes, it still burns me to think about.

Einstein never learned to tie his shoes. I finally figured it out when I was a teen. Yes, I just freaking compared myself to Einstein. Childhood idol of mine (though Nikola Tesla is my favorite physicist). We aren't really all that different. Einstein was a brilliant man, and just happened to be brought up in the right place and the right time to make something of himself.

https://history.howstuffworks.com/history-vs-myth/did-einstein-really-fail-math.htm

Any reasonable person will be able to find a million ways to debunk the myth of Einstein being a failure at maths. The only thing he ever "failed" was an entry exam at 15 of which he passed the math portions with flying colors and actually failed on topics like Zoology.

• Like 1

I looked at gameplay for BPM on a Mame emulator off of YouTube. I don't know if some of these pics could be helpful but it seems the ball shoots from the pit center and to the left hitting the bottom half of the red bumper. I'm not sure if that happens every time.

attachicon.gifBPM_first_hits.jpg

The second pic is when the left flipper hitting the ball to the tunnel where a red mark is indicated on the flipper.

Likewise, if the right flipper hits the ball near the tip, it will head toward the left (FRUITS) tunnel.

attachicon.gifBPM_second_hits.jpg

The physics simulation in PINMAME and respective correlated behavior under Baby Pac-Man is likely close to accurate; nonetheless, in conjunction with what you found Franko, there is the below real hardware video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXoAjhHC3FU

It's pretty long and should be blown up bigger than the smallish default window above (It is recorded @720p60). A great capture of the field and sample gameplay is demonstrated. Probably worth at least one viewing. Some interesting tidbits are picked up, such as the lock and hold technique of the ball into the same right-side area; back and forth to the flipper ~1:22:00.

• Like 1

https://history.howstuffworks.com/history-vs-myth/did-einstein-really-fail-math.htm

Any reasonable person will be able to find a million ways to debunk the myth of Einstein being a failure at maths. The only thing he ever "failed" was an entry exam at 15 of which he passed the math portions with flying colors and actually failed on topics like Zoology.

He still failed the entrance exam though. A modern day equivalent would be flunking out of high school or being held back because your standardized test scores weren't high enough. And he was a lackluster student in other subjects while in college, which isn't uncommon for socially awkward students with severe adhd and/or Auspergers. Neither disorder was understood or properly diagnosed in the early 20th century, and it was commonly assumed that students who lacked attention were just lazy, dumb, or unmotivated. Einstein was brilliant enough to finish school despite his poor study habits, but his grades suffered as a result.

Well, at least that Einstein discussion is distracting from the fact that Bob and me are still silently working on implementing more and more features of Baby Pac Man's pinball part. By now I've got the deflection matrix implemented roughly correctly, but that's hardly visible on the surface. And I just added checking for the lane leading to the left flipper, even though only part of it can be reached by the ball currently. Now I'm working towards the upper left curve. To be able to test that, the ball is served at an angle that sometimes reaches this curve.

Edited by Kurt_Woloch
  • Like 12

Well, at least that Einstein discussion is distracting from the fact that Bob and me are still silently working on implementing more and more features of Baby Pac Man's pinball part. By now I've got the deflection matrix implemented roughly correctly, but that's hardly visible on the surface. And I just added checking for the lane leading to the left flipper, even though only part of it can be reached by the ball currently. Now I'm working towards the upper left curve. To be able to test that, the ball is served at an angle that sometimes reaches this curve.

2LC9RCdmKMQw.gif

Hey Bob, great to hear Kurt W is making fantastic progress for you and us. I've been enjoying watching the code changes in extreme detail and hopefully my feedback off-line has helped you. Hang in there, you'll get this one to the finish line. I wish we had JOUST documented like you have your BABY. At least you have a chance to know what's going on! To me this could be a "super" game for all-time with fans playing this for many years to come. GO RPD GO! -BBA

• Like 1

Awesome work. I would love to see video of the physics engine being implemented.

Agree with CPU. Einstein (relativity) isn't really needed for the conversation, as Newtonian physics should be sufficient. 8)