IGNORED

Baby Pac-Man

PacManPlus

@MrBeefy: Thank you... Yes, If you like the Pac series, then Super would be next (unless You like Astro Blaster, then you might consider it's predecessor, Astro Fighter). Again, thank you.

Ok guys, I've fixed two more things and changed a third:

- The ball at the top was still where you left it if you hit it, it started to move, and you left the pinball mode before it finished its journey to the other side. Once you returned, it would continue from where it left off instead of being at rest at the end. I've now forced the position of the ball.

- I have allowed for joystick movement to curtail the opening tune (and delay), like the arcade does.

- I've implemented Kurt's suggestions for the sound of the flippers.

Also, I've still been trying to reproduce the issue that TrekMD found, and have still been unable to. I've even tried doing it on the real thing for a while. I'm going to chalk this one up to an emulator issue.

RC6 Attached.

BabyPac.A78

BabyPac.BIN

• Like 12

Hi Bob! I asked some time ago, but I was wondering if you felt Baby was ready for prime time? I really want to do a preview video on this. I would never think of a review until I had the real cart, but thought this game deserves all the positive attention in the world, so if I could do a preview of it even in emulation, that would be exciting for me. I'd of course give the AA store and Al a pop in the video as well.

Hope you guys are having a great weekend!

• Like 1

Yes, I believe it is. Thank you for wanting to do a video on it.

I'm doing the happy dance now. You can't see it, but I AM DOING A HAPPY DANCE. Thanks Bob! I know its nuts, but I have had such a soft spot for this game since I was a kid. You making this game has made me so freakin happy! Hope you will like the video!

• Like 1

OK, I tried the new update (thank you for posting it!) and I think the flipper sounds are better now. Maybe the pitch could be a bit higher... if you listen closely to the video, I think it's a bit higher there. And I think I got the "up" sound slightly wrong, maybe it's better if the delay between the two "clicks" it does is shorter by a frame (some minor tweaking which you don't find out until you've actually heard it in action). Other than that, everything seems fine. ;-)

• Like 1

Also, I've still been trying to reproduce the issue that TrekMD found, and have still been unable to. I've even tried doing it on the real thing for a while. I'm going to chalk this one up to an emulator issue.

I have not been able to do it again. Let's blame the emulator and keep moving. :)

• Like 2

I'll be uploading my preview in the morning. I'd do it tonight, but we live in middle America where the internet is slow and I really don't want to interrupt the wife streaming Outlander. Usually a good way to ruin an evening. :) I prefer to cap from real hardware, but I'll do a gameplay video once I have a real cart to use.

Absolute masterpiece to all involved! So freaking fun!

• Like 1

I'll be uploading my preview in the morning. I'd do it tonight, but we live in middle America where the internet is slow and I really don't want to interrupt the wife streaming Outlander. Usually a good way to ruin an evening. :) I prefer to cap from real hardware, but I'll do a gameplay video once I have a real cart to use.

Absolute masterpiece to all involved! So freaking fun!

Buy her the blurays like I did my wife. I like my mid america internet.

• Like 2

I've actually been testing on the real thing & the A7800 emulator all along. Some of the issues I found were found that way.

I really want to test this on my 7800, but my Mateos cart doesn't seem to be working. I'm going to test a few things on it, as I really like the device.

• Like 1

Hey GorfCadet excellent review! Very upbeat and informative and fun to watch. I hope the people who play this (myself included) enjoy it as much as I enjoy the real deal arcade machine.

Big thanks to Bob and Kurt for making one of my childhood dream games come to life on a console.

Hey guys! Here is my preview of my new favorite 7800 game!

• Like 3

Hey guys! Here is my preview of my new favorite 7800 game!

I really like the enthusiasm in these reviews.

I have similar memories of Aladdin's Castle having the game.

I only played it a few times, because I was turned off by the lack of monsters' white eyes & pupils.

The moving pupils was one of the things that really captured my attention about Pac-Man, along with the sound effects.

The other issue I had with Baby was that the siren cut out while eating dots.

I thought it seemed like a really bad step backwards in "quality".

The AI was also BRUTAL, and I sucked at the pin. lol.

However, PinMAME and retro arcades have given me the chance to revisit the game. Played a LOT of Baby Pac and PRGE.

I really enjoy it, now. I would love to own an arcade Baby Pac someday.

This 7800 release captures all the arcade experience. (Except for the monster flicker and siren cutting out. I can live with that! HAHA!)

Edited by darryl1970
  • Like 2

I really like the enthusiasm in these reviews.

I have similar memories of Aladdin's Castle having the game.

I only played it a few times, because I was turned off by the lack of monsters' white eyes & pupils.

The moving pupils was one of the things that really captured my attention about Pac-Man, along with the sound effects.

The other issue I had with Baby was that the siren cut out while eating dots.

I thought it seemed like a really bad step backwards in "quality".

The AI was also BRUTAL, and I sucked at the pin. lol.

However, PinMAME and retro arcades have given me the chance to revisit the game. Played a LOT of Baby Pac and PRGE.

I really enjoy it, now. I would love to own an arcade Baby Pac someday.

This 7800 release captures all the arcade experience. (Except for the monster flicker and siren cutting out. I can live with that! HAHA!)

The only downside of the review for me is referring to "ghost" AI. Bob's instructions state Monster AI, just like they were know to 80's arcade kids.

Yeah the quality of the "monsters" visual design was always part of the hypnotic appeal to Pac games to me. Even after I was out of quarters, I would stare at the attract mode endlessly. The pin is hard. The short table makes the ball a real problem in terms of ball control and the key targets put the ball in a constant position to drain. I want to put some more time into it before I put together a video strategy/beginner's guide for the game's pin mode.

• Like 3

Hi guys.

Still working on that "through the wall" issue. It only seems to happen once in a blue moon, so it's difficult to track down. It's not limited to location, or if the monsters are blue. It can happen anywhere, at any time. If you are at (for example) a three-way intersection and start moving the joystick madly in all directions, chances are you will end up going through the wall at the 4th direction.

@gorfcadet: Thank you for the kind review. Love the use of the Linn LM-1 drum machine in the music background. Very early 80s. Always wanted one of those.

• Like 9