IGNORED

Baby Pac-Man

PacManPlus

Hmmm... that makes me ciurious how you wired the game up this way. I mean, even if it played itself flawlessly in a proper way, I can't imagine it would be able to amass this kind of score in only 40 minutes. So there must be something going on where some high-scoring item is triggered much more often than would normally be possible...

Ah, wait... so you didn't only change the game to play itself, but you also changed the scoring of the items... that explains a lot.

100,000 points for everything and it doesnt take too long. ?

• Like 1

@SoundGammon

That pic of the Baby Pac control panel needs a tiny bit of explanation to those who have never played one and may wonder what a real one looks like.

1) The player one and player 2 buttons, the ones Baby is pointing to with 1 or 2 fingers, should be black volcano buttons ( not those red generic ones

2) The two yellow arcade buttons are the flipper buttons in the game, and yes they are never used haha.. as it feels really weird to play with those.

3) The machine also has 2 more buttons on the side of the cabinet, where you would expect buttons to be for flippers. These ones get all of the use. haha

4) The joystick is a classic pac man leaf style joystick that works only 4 ways so playing is very accurate and no clicky when moving.

The machine is great, I use mine whenever I can as it's in storage until I move and can get a place that can house my games and arcades and pins.. Oy I need a house!

• Like 3

What a waste. Gutting machines to sell them piecewise because the sum of the parts are worth more than the whole, uggg... icon_madtongue.gif

Some cabinets are too far gone to save. Parting them out is always better than tossing them; I've been in that position myself several times.

And yes - let's not let this derail into becoming a KLOV thread. That's what they're there for; we're here for 7800 Baby Pac-Man.

• Like 4

Back to working on the manual tonight. I'll be doing some screenshots, to put them in as well. Then after that is complete, all that's left is the box... Haven't seen Marc on here is a while... hope all is ok by him. Marc, your boxes are a work of art.

I need to send Atariboy2600 a cart for doing the artwork. I REALLY wish I knew someone in the retail business of that area; I would recommend him a million times over. The work he does is nothing short of amazing.

You guys all do such wonderful work. It is an honor and a pleasure to be a part of this community.

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 23

Thank you for posting RC9! Sorry about spoiling your release candidate, but I'm afraid I just found another difference from your version to the arcade... In the arcade, the even-up rollover lights come on as soon as you hit the hole above it. However, in your version, the player has to hit the hole with a power pill earned so that the hole takes him to the maze in order for the rollover light to come on. If the hole is hit, but doesn't result in a transition to the maze, the rollover light doesn't come on, which it does do in the arcade version.

• Like 1

Holy crap...

Looks like we both missed something...

Not only does the 'even up' light come on with just the hole only, it CHANGES SIDES when you hit the bumper. Watch this video at 2:05 on... and watch both the yellow 'even up' lights (for those who don't know, they are the yellow lights directly above and slightly over from the apex of the bumper).

I *really* wish there was some complete documentation of what this thing does... It's murder trying to figure it all out piece by piece.

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 1

RC10 Attached.

'Even Up' light (and red spinner light) now light when the ball is hit into the saucer, regardless if an energizer is earned or not. If there is only one 'Even Up' light lit, it changes sides when a bumper is hit (doesn't matter which one). The red spinner light stays put.

BabyPac.A78

BabyPac.BIN

• Like 19

This is really impressive. I know you're busy making a game, but.. would you ever consider writing about implementing pinball physics on an 8-bit console? I think those 8-bit video pins are fascinating, and I'd love to read about all the hurdles you overcame when figuring it all out. There's not much on the Internet about that kind of thing yet, aside from papers about proper physics for powerful computers.

I'm going to play the heck out of this when I can get a cart on my real 7800 :D

Edited by louisg
  • Like 3

RC10 Attached.

'Even Up' light (and red spinner light) now light when the ball is hit into the saucer, regardless if an energizer is earned or not. If there is only one 'Even Up' light lit, it changes sides when a bumper is hit (doesn't matter which one). The red spinner light stays put.

Hi Bob

it is damn heavy to Play....but the more i Play....the more i like this damn game....excellent port.

• Like 3

Finally tried it out. I thought the game, even in its more nascent version awhile back was top-notch, but now it's really solid. The sound effects and tilting are just really neat, hadn't heard them before. The ball physics/movement is really life-like. Is there any way to have a "sissy" AI so that someone as terrible as me can get passed level 1? HA HA. No, sadly I'm serious :_(

Edited by Greg2600
  • Like 2

Hey All -

I just changed the bumper points to 10, and the spinner value to 10, unless the red arrow is lit (then it's 100 again).

It was bugging me that that part of it wasn't like the arcade, and it wasn't as time consuming as I thought it would be.

Bob

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 14

Hey Guys

Ok here's RC11. This is what changed:

- Added 10,000,000 bonus baby

- Changed bumper to 10 points, and spinner to 10 points unless red arrow is lit, then it is 100

- Fixed the 'Remember Energizers: No' option. It actually works now.

Also, I have completed the first draft of the manual. Any errors or omissions, please let me know.

Thanks, guys

Bob

Baby Pac-Man Manual.pdf

BabyPac.A78

BabyPac.BIN

• Like 16