IGNORED

Baby Pac-Man

PacManPlus

...but Atari probably could have carved out a little more marketshare if every game glowed in the dark.

I wouldn't say *every* game should have glowed BITD, but no doubt some games would have benefitted from such a gimmick. Games like Ghostbusters, Haunted House, Frankenstein's Monster, E.T., etc. would have been cool.

• Like 3

I wouldn't say *every* game should have glowed BITD, but no doubt some games would have benefitted from such a gimmick. Games like Ghostbusters, Haunted House, Frankenstein's Monster, E.T., etc. would have been cool.

I'd add Night Driver to this list. I still love playing this game with the lights off. It would be cool to have a cart that glows.

• Like 3

Thank you.

I have to say again, if it weren't for Kurt doing all of the Physics in the pinball section, this game would probably not have made it to completion. I *still* don't understand how it works.

I do know this though; I am used to checking for tiles (the pinball field) under sprites (the ball) and acting on it accordingly... Which is what I did with Crazy Brix. (There's a reason there are no curves in that game). He didn't do it that way. He checked screen positions and velocity and was able to act on it. (That's the part I'm stuck on). So if the screen was void of tiles, the pinball section would still 'act' the same with regards to ball movement.

...so again, thank you Kurt.

...and thank you everyone else who contributed ideas, graphical and otherwise, to this game.

EDIT: BTW, all games have been shipped out.

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 14

Got home from a business trip in San Diego and picked up my mail at the UPS store and there was Baby Pac-Man. I popped it in and nothing. Tried it two or three times with either a black screen or just gibberish yellow vertical lines. The PCB didn't appear to be getting deep enough in the cart reader.

I opened up the shell and tested just the PCB and it worked fine. So I put it back in the shell and tested it. And boom it worked fine. So it must have been jostled a little too much by USPS on it's way from FL.

Thanks again. I look forward putting in some more on time on it. The shells turned out great.

• Like 1

Sooooo, as soon as I am home from night crew tonight, I know what the evening holds....Glow in the Dark came out AMAZING Bob please do more in the future!

A0udGDM.jpgsrITLrb.jpg

Bob truly is a wonderfully sweet, caring person.
I expressed to him I really wanted a glow in the dark version, so he swapped his personal glow copy for my gray/yellow reservation (the last of the colored carts available atm when I ordered).
Bob, you did not have to do that for me. From the bottom of my heart, than you! ?
The effects of the logo embedded into the raw glow material is subtle. You almost don't see it until you cut the lights. I held it in front of a compact flourescent for a minute. You can see the shadow of the pcb projected onto the bottom of the cart:
post-33189-0-00656900-1560004146_thumb.jpg
post-33189-0-01158500-1560004281_thumb.jpg
post-33189-0-63115500-1560004403_thumb.jpg
I also need to locate that 7800 adapter. If I can't find it, I'll have to modify my console with a 1/8" mini-jack. I'm pretty confident with a soldering iron. You don't unlearn those types of skillsets.
Busy day today and have a huge prom date planned with my fiance so no games for me. My city is hosting an "adult" prom event for pride month. Glitz and grunge is the theme. We both have purple sequin dresses picked out for the occasion. ???
Yours, Alita!?
  • Like 3

Finally got my chores done and found a moment to play. :)

Awesome game. Challenging too. Clearing a board feels like a real accomplishment.

Thanks Bob and everyone involved for putting this together. It is a real treasure.

post-37734-0-70229100-1560006982_thumb.jpg

Default settings.

Edited by SIO2
  • Like 4

Bob truly is a wonderfully sweet, caring person.
I expressed to him I really wanted a glow in the dark version, so he swapped his personal glow copy for my gray/yellow reservation (the last of the colored carts available atm when I ordered).
Bob, you did not have to do that for me. From the bottom of my heart, than you!

Nice story, and what an awesome guy. :thumbsup: He is the kind of person that makes this a cool community to be a part of. By the way, the glow in the dark effect looks really amazing when paired with the quasi-translucent cartridge label. 8)

• Like 4

Had a blinky red-green-blue board — I think was originally in a toy kids wear in their mouth?

Removed the button battery clips and push switch, then jumpered switch and battery contacts (it had 4 in series).

I’m taking bets on how long the uncovered EPROM lasts until it corrupts with these RGB LEDs.

Attached picture and GIF animation of it in the 7800 console.

Yes, it’s annoying, but I really like things that are red, green, and blue!

I still think a weak UV LED to excite a glow-in-the-dark case would be way cool.

post-29575-0-44517900-1560041106_thumb.jpeg

post-29575-0-76294400-1560041851.gif

• Like 9

Had a blinky red-green-blue board — I think was originally in a toy kids wear in their mouth?

Removed the button battery clips and push switch, then jumpered switch and battery contacts (it had 4 in series).

I’m taking bets on how long the uncovered EPROM lasts until it corrupts with these RGB LEDs.

Attached picture and GIF animation of it in the 7800 console.

Yes, it’s annoying, but I really like things that are red, green, and blue!

I still think a weak UV LED to excite a glow-in-the-dark case would be way cool.

attachicon.gifB9F098F6-8141-421F-B608-5752F78F87FA.jpeg

attachicon.gif5SecondsApp_581733085.279535.gif

This is what you call a true homebrew, sure the IC's are old, but that is not the point. Glad my instructions worked for you, is that board rated for 5V? If not, you should add a resistor to it. I.E. How was the toy powered?

• Like 4

Ok here is my Bob D collection so far.

Loose carts. I have Marc O boxes for all of them except Baby obviously.

Thanks PMP for making my 7800 collection amazing with some great games.

e30d621b81639a683d76cfaf92b9224b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 7

This is what you call a true homebrew, sure the IC's are old, but that is not the point. Glad my instructions worked for you, is that board rated for 5V? If not, you should add a resistor to it. I.E. How was the toy powered?

It had a gray blob circuit and took four coin [button] cells, so 6V?

A resistor would be nice to tone down the very bright LED’s, but unless I get super annoyed or unless it causes problems starting, I’ll probably leave it.

Thank you for the info. I liked that spot.

I would have probably looked up the LSxxx part and used that VCC & GND had you not posted that picture. It is still odd to me to have both spots across a capacitor as my first thought is (incorrectly) that would be a short.

Edited by iesposta
  • Like 1

Can you still buy boxes for older Bob games??

Ok here is my Bob D collection so far.

Loose carts. I have Marc O boxes for all of them except Baby obviously.

Thanks PMP for making my 7800 collection amazing with some great games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I won't scroll all the way back to find the quote (yeah I'm being lazy) but whoever said "Bob is an amazing and caring man" was right on the money. Whoever took the picture of their "Bob" collection was ALSO on the money. I was just telling him the more I clean up my rec room, the more of his ports I realize I have. He's such a valued asset to this site and to the Pac-Man community as a whole we out to have a Thank You Bob day. This post is just my little way of saying the same. You rock dude!

• Like 6

It is still odd to me to have both spots across a capacitor as my first thought is (incorrectly) that would be a short.

https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/148575/how-does-a-capacitor-smooth-energy

You can find other relevant answers to this question, via a search engine of your choice. :)

• Like 3