IGNORED

Baby Pac-Man

PacManPlus

On 6/7/2019 at 2:26 PM, groundtrooper said:

Got home from a business trip in San Diego and picked up my mail at the UPS store and there was Baby Pac-Man. I popped it in and nothing. Tried it two or three times with either a black screen or just gibberish yellow vertical lines. The PCB didn't appear to be getting deep enough in the cart reader.

I opened up the shell and tested just the PCB and it worked fine. So I put it back in the shell and tested it. And boom it worked fine. So it must have been jostled a little too much by USPS on it's way from FL.

Thanks again. I look forward putting in some more on time on it. The shells turned out great.

I had the same problem.. it would go atari7800 screen then black.. 

I almost pushed it thru the 7800 for it to work..

I just wanted to give a shoutout to Bob for sending me his glow prototype. It is truly one of a kind. The iridescent green glow is amazing.

One radioshack UV led. One 100 ohm resistor. One glow-in-the-dark 3d printed case. Metllic purple nail polish over the eprom window to prevent bit rot. Solder in series across the .1uF (104) ceramic cap.

I don't know if anyone else had issues with fit. Mine didn't fit securely in the Atari 7800 cart guide so I had to file the corners a bit.

Many 3rd party carts don't fit 7800 cart guides well. In fact it was Activision Spider fighter who cracked my case. Oops! ??

Anyway here's the pics!?

20190624_210757.jpg

20190624_211717.jpg

• Like 2

Liquid tape...  now that's an awesome idea.  Looks like I missed covering the windows on some of these :(  Damn.  I don't know where my mind is lately.

I'm starting to see labels lifting off of the carts. I'm not happy about that.  The blank labels I have are quite a few years old... Does the adhesive on labels dry up over time?  If so, I probably should dump the rest of the ones I have and buy new ones. :(

Edited by PacManPlus

7 minutes ago, PacManPlus said:

I'm starting to see labels lifting off of the carts. I'm not happy about that.  The blank labels I have are quite a few years old... Does the adhesive on labels dry up over time?  If so, I probably should dump the rest of the ones I have and buy new ones. :(

I haven't seen an issue with the age of labels making a big difference as long as they are stored at reasonable temperatures. However, due to the 3D printed nature of the shells, if the label surfaces aren't perfectly smooth, that gives less purchase for the labels to adhere to.  This also depends on the strength of the adhesive, as well as whether the labels were printed on an inkjet versus a laser printer or digital press. 

Inkjet labels definitely have a tendency to peel up around the edges depending on how much ink is laid down.  Dark labels tend to be more problematic as far as this goes.  Never really had an issue with color laser printed labels or labels printed on a digital press.  And, finally, the thickness of the label material as well as the type of material (paper versus vinyl, mainly) can also affect whether labels will peel up over time.  Vinyl labels tend to be thinner and will show more "defects" and particles under the label surface, so I tend to avoid those.

..Al

• Like 1

When I got mine and it wouldn't load and opened it up to test just the PCB I noticed my eprom window was not covered so stuck a label on it before putting it back together. 

I wonder if the label adhesion problems are a combination of old adhesive that doesn't adhere to the filament material?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Albert said:

I haven't seen an issue with the age of labels making a big difference as long as they are stored at reasonable temperatures. However, due to the 3D printed nature of the shells, if the label surfaces aren't perfectly smooth, that gives less purchase for the labels to adhere to.  This also depends on the strength of the adhesive, as well as whether the labels were printed on an inkjet versus a laser printer or digital press. 

Inkjet labels definitely have a tendency to peel up around the edges depending on how much ink is laid down.  Dark labels tend to be more problematic as far as this goes.  Never really had an issue with color laser printed labels or labels printed on a digital press.  And, finally, the thickness of the label material as well as the type of material (paper versus vinyl, mainly) can also affect whether labels will peel up over time.  Vinyl labels tend to be thinner and will show more "defects" and particles under the label surface, so I tend to avoid those.

..Al

Thanks, Al.  Ugh.  Now I remember why I stopped making carts myself.

7 minutes ago, groundtrooper said:

When I got mine and it wouldn't load and opened it up to test just the PCB I noticed my eprom window was not covered so stuck a label on it before putting it back together. 

God, I hate myself.

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Sad 2

9 minutes ago, PacManPlus said:

Thanks, Al.  Ugh.  Now I remember why I stopped making carts myself.

It can be a pain sometimes!  Of all the technology I have to deal with, printers are my bane.  And not just stuff I print myself (I have, let's see, three laser printers (two color), several inkjet printers, and three label printers (two for printing postage, one is for sticking small labels on things)), and I am dealing with them constantly. And even professional printers screw things up all the time, which is more infuriating than when I screw something up myself. Please don't beat yourself up over this!

9 minutes ago, PacManPlus said:

God, I hate myself.

It happens.  I'll send out games that work perfectly fine when I test them, but don't work on an end-user's system.  I also will sometimes make a shipping error, like last week sending out a 2600 copy of Scramble to someone who ordered the 7800 version, and then sending the 7800 Scramble to the guy who ordered the 2600 version.  Mistakes happen, we're human.  And in the case of games sometimes not working, it can't be avoided entirely, and especially so on the 7800.  And it is aggravating.  But, again, please don't beat yourself up over this.  Shit happens.

..Al

• Like 6

37 minutes ago, Albert said:

...And in the case of games sometimes not working, it can't be avoided entirely, and especially so on the 7800.  And it is aggravating.  But, again, please don't beat yourself up over this.  Shit happens.

..Al

By now, I would think that those of us with 7800(s) would be more than understanding, should a cart not work in our specific console.

I have three 7800s and there have been occurrences where a brand new cart won’t work one of the three.  Just the nature of the beast.

Thanks again Bob and Al for all you do!

• Like 9

It would appear to work based on the picture, but I haven't inquired. I don't really have that kind of cash to burn anyway. Getting married last month along with my recent Jaguar purchases (including an AA Store order!) has the discretionary fund a little low! That said, I'll certainly be picking up the Baby Pac-Man 7800 CIB set from the Store as soon as it's available!

• Like 3

Yeah, the arcade game was an interesting idea, but not really well executed.  The 7800 version is more compelling as far as I'm concerned!!  And I sure as hell would not pay $2,500 for a Baby Pac-Man cabinet unless I was a collector of all things Pac-Man, or a big arcade collector and wanted another unique piece for my collection.  Or I just liked burning money.  Although burning money is easier.

..Al

• Like 3