IGNORED

Baby Pac-Man

PacManPlus

55 minutes ago, CommodoreDecker said:

Any way I could do a preorder of Baby Pac-Man? I'll keep an eye on the store until then. :)

No, as they will be available soon and anyone who wants a copy will be able to get one.  Doing pre-orders for the new games would bring additional complexity to a process that's already going to take me a fair bit of time.  :)

..Al

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Kobra Kai said:

Now that the game is completed and about to be released, I see no harm in asking this question I've wanted to ask for some time. Just as a thought experiment, if Baby Pac-Man could have been made for the 7800XM unit, what improvements would have been possible, if any? 

Pokey support is the big one I can think of.

• Like 2

I don't believe there is anything, for *this* title only, that the XM could have added to.  The sounds for the arcade game are very primitive, so the sound chips wouldn't be needed much, the extra memory wouldn't have helped much here either.  The graphics for the video part were ripped directly from the arcade game.  The only thing the XM could have value added was High Score saving.

So, to answer your question, I don't believe any improvements from the XM would have been useful for this game to get more of an arcade experience.

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, PacManPlus said:

I don't believe there is anything, for *this* title only, that the XM could have added to.  The sounds for the arcade game are very primitive, so the sound chips wouldn't be needed much, the extra memory wouldn't have helped much here either.  The graphics for the video part were ripped directly from the arcade game.  The only thing the XM could have value added was High Score saving.

So, to answer your question, I don't believe any improvements from the XM would have been useful for this game to get more of an arcade experience.

Seems like the limitations in the math tables was about the biggest hurdle and I think that would remain with the xm. 

• Like 1

On 11/3/2019 at 5:06 PM, Albert said:

No, as they will be available soon and anyone who wants a copy will be able to get one.  Doing pre-orders for the new games would bring additional complexity to a process that's already going to take me a fair bit of time.  :)

..Al

Thanks for the info! I'll keep an eye out on the store!! :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/27/2019 at 7:04 PM, sramirez2008 said:

Playing Baby Pac-Man "the way it was meant to be played."  

Shout-out to Ed of Edladdin Controllers.  My Supreme 78: All-Play 4/8 needed its cord replaced and Ed took care of it quickly, and now I'm back in action. 

- Thank you Ed???

BPM Edladdin.jpg

You are very welcome!

• Like 1

On 11/3/2019 at 6:06 PM, Albert said:

..Al

Hi Al,

Any updates on when Baby Pacman will be available for purchase?

Thanks,

Tom

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Oldschool80skid said:

Hi Al,

Any updates on when Baby Pacman will be available for purchase?

Thanks,

Tom

Late next week at the earliest.  Working on getting a large batch of orders finished and shipped (should have them shipped over the weekend).  After that I will be focused on adding the new games to the store, including Baby Pac-Man.

..Al

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Albert said:

Late next week at the earliest.  Working on getting a large batch of orders finished and shipped (should have them shipped over the weekend).  After that I will be focused on adding the new games to the store, including Baby Pac-Man.

..Al

Awesome. I am personally looking forward to Galagon (since I already got Baby Pac) and I forget the others coming out.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 8:10 PM, Albert said:

..Al

Is there a chance that there will be some kind of discount promotion for the holidays?  There are several games that I was planning to buy and wanted to group them into a single order to save on shipping.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, NostAlgae37 said:

Is there a chance that there will be some kind of discount promotion for the holidays?  There are several games that I was planning to buy and wanted to group them into a single order to save on shipping.

20% off for the less than mint, lugged around, overly handled, slightly scratched/dented/marred PRGE leftovers would be nice!  :grin: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/5/2019 at 6:15 AM, Swami said:

Seems like the limitations in the math tables was about the biggest hurdle and I think that would remain with the xm. 

What are you referring to as "math tables"? If you think about what I've done with the pinball part, I didn't actually use any tables for math... there are some multiplication routines in there, but they don't use any tables. There is a big table which basically gives the information about the position and shape of all the objects the ball can collide with, and then there are several small tables for those surfaces which, depending on the pixel column where the ball hits the object, give the angle of the surface which tells how the ball should be deflected, as well as some special cases where it should be deflected without losing any momentum (this is done for the bumper surfaces if active and the drop targets when taken down). Those tables pick from a total of 18 possible angles plus the special cases (and vertical and horizontal surfaces are two more special cases which don't appear in the tables because multiplications aren't performed for those, so a whole circle would actually be divided into 40 different angles). This isn't terribly accurate, but I thought it would be enough to be believable since due to the limited graphics resolution, you can't tell what the exact angle is supposed to be anyway, and in the game arcs and round paths are often actually divided into several discrete angles for the graphics as well.

I think another limiting factor is actually the programmer's mind which has to grasp all that should be done to make the game as good as possible. You can do very much on a 6502 processor if you know how to do it and how to make the right compromises...

Oh, for the object tables, I took some inspiration here...

https://gamedev.stackexchange.com/questions/43705/2d-collision-detection-for-pinball-game

(look at the greyscale picture especially) and also in how "Midnight Magic" on the Atari 2600 is doing its collisions (since it has been ported to the Atari 8-bit line, and the source code is available).

• Like 2

12 hours ago, CrazyChris said:

I don't have a 7800, but this game is such an achievement, I will buy one just to put on the shelf.

Buy a 7800 and this game. Also pick up Rikki and Vikki and Bentley Bear all stellar achievements. :)

I can guarantee you will not regret it.

Edited by Jinks
  • Like 1