IGNORED

Baby Pac-Man

PacManPlus

• 2 weeks later...

Got this game in the mail yesterday and played a few rounds of it. Love the pinball/pacman back and forth feel of this game. Such a nice twist to the formula. One question though,how do you unlock energizers? Do you have to spell things out on the left and right sides where the letters appear? Or do you focus on hitting the barriers at the top of the screen? Great game,well done.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PhoenixMoonPatrol said:

Got this game in the mail yesterday and played a few rounds of it. Love the pinball/pacman back and forth feel of this game. Such a nice twist to the formula. One question though,how do you unlock energizers? Do you have to spell things out on the left and right sides where the letters appear? Or do you focus on hitting the barriers at the top of the screen? Great game,well done.

Per the manual:

While in Pinball Mode, you must earn energizers by spelling ’PAC-MAN’
under each yellow drop down column. Spelling ‘PAC-MAN’ in the first
column gives you the 1st energizer (top-left corner in the maze), the second
column gives you the second energizer (bottom-left corner in the maze), the
third column gives you the third energizer (bottom-right corner in the maze),
and the fourth column gives you the fourth energizer (top-right corner in the
maze...You can also quickly earn an energizer by hitting the ball at the top of the
playfield. Hitting the ball from the left side to the right immediately earns the
player energizer 1. Hitting the ball from the right side to the left immediately
earns the player energizer 4. Note that whatever side the ball is on, the
drop-down target stays down for the duration.

BabyPacSnapManual.PNG.24439c55ffb974cf0170796dd6a9d71e.PNG

BabyPacEnergizers.PNG.cb1eb6ba99cd491aa3063b283827cc80.PNG

• Like 3

Thanks Trebor,I tend to take pictures of the manual then read on how to play later while storing the manual in its game box. Much appreciated for the explanation on how the game plays,thanks! Thank You guys for such a great game,very addicting and the visuals(especially the pinball game) really make the 7800 shine. 

Edited by PhoenixMoonPatrol
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, seastalker said:

Sorry if I missed it, but does the boxed copy also come with a rom download? I was debating re-buying a 7800 and think I'd prefer to play the game on a future A7800 MiSTER core or Analogue product. 

ROM download RC 13/Final here

Nonetheless, please still purchase a copy of the game in support of the devs and site.

• Like 7

AtariAge has upfront the cost of manufacturing the game.  Purchasing the game would help to offset the cost associated with that to state the very least.

If all people did was download ROMs and never purchased the games in the store, yet AtariAge has gone forth and manufactured numerous copies of those games, how does the site fare? ?

P.S. A subscription supports the site too. ?

• Like 9

19 hours ago, save2600 said:

C'mon guys... let's see some scores already!   :grin:

baby.jpg

Wow! Great score. What difficulty is that set on?

My brother in law and I played this game for a couple of hours on New Year's Eve. We never changed the difficulty from the arcade level and it continuously kicked our butt. We did improve as the night went along and I eventually cleared a couple of screens and scored just over 100,000. It's a tough game but lots of fun!

• Like 1

I know it's not like this on the original machine, but just use "classic" mode for the ghosts. The way the ghosts continually about face in the arcade can make it brutal.

5 lives helps. Screw it. This arcade game is a quarter sucker. You'll need all the help you can get. I just try to stay alive and get whatever pellets or help I can from the pinball stage.

Once you drain the pinball, you either have to die or complete the current maze to return to the pinball stage. I do not know the best strategy for point farming, but I survive longer in the pinball stage.

Best strategy (besides "survive as long as you can"). Ideally you complete some objectives on the pinball board to unlock all four energizers and eat the ghosts. Take the escalator thingy to get back to the maze (not the drain which closes the escape exits), eat all 16 ghosts again, then return to the pinball arena to collect more energizers. Mega points to be collected that way.

Edited by Kosmic Stardust
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, Kosmic Stardust said:

...I just try to stay alive and get whatever pellets or help I can from the pinball stage.

Exactly the method I employed last time I owned the arcade machine. Not ashamed!  ?

Why, oh why does Jr. and Baby gotta be sooooo brutal? They're the youngest. By default, you'd think they would be *easier* games. Damned bullies!  ?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, save2600 said:

Why, oh why does Jr. and Baby gotta be sooooo brutal? They're the youngest. By default, you'd think they would be *easier* games. Damned bullies!  ?

I know and I thought Jr. Pacman was hard. The younger they get, the meaner they are!

• Like 2

This game is fantastic! Got in a play session tonight. Can't say I'm surprised, as Bob sets the bar so high...

One thing that has absolutely nothing to do with the game itself, but did anyone else notice how the box art on the side/spine goes the wrong way? It's written bottom-up instead of top-down like every other original game and homebrew for the 7800 and many other systems. Doh!

• Like 1

I watched the video of the 7800 conversion. I'm very impressed. Just imagine if the conversions had been this kind of quality back in the day.

I was very good in the real arcade machine. Scored over 4 million points and completed a LOT of mazes. I was creating this conversion for VPX myself and tried to make it play as close to the real thing as possible.

• Like 3

I tried the 7800 Baby Pac-Man and it is fun, though challenging as hell. I did find classic ghost mentality a little easier 'Standard' mode could be thought of as '28 Days Later' mode. Geez, it's just a baby! I can only imagine how many parents of 80's children thought the tears of a child losing at Pac-Man's difficulty would be pacified by the pastel, sweet world that BABY Pac-man surely promised - only to bail after two coins and sights of their child's hopes and dreams getting dashed repeated against the jagged rocks of reality.

I played the game back then and didn't last long, but loved the ingenuity of combining the two platforms in one game.

I keep telling myself I will figure out how to set up that virtual pinball version of Baby Pac-Man. Looks nice though in videos.

• Like 1

Hearing these comments about how hard the game is makes me feel really good.  I was nagging poor Bob and Kurt_Woloch to death to keep making the maze ghosts harder where they can "see" through the walls and zero in on you.

Those fellows were so patient when I also nitpicked them to make the straight shots to the center drop targets really fast and go for the drain.

I assure everyone however that the arcade is just like that, I used my actual arcade cab throughout the guidance I suggested.  The end result I can only say is something I am proud represents the arcade game very closely!  I cannot thank them enough for allowing me to serve as an advisor it was a pleasure and honor.  The folks that worked on this game are awesome and made an experience that I hope everyone will love as much as I do.

For any folks having trouble with the game, here are 2 hints that I use on the arcade cab and ROM:

1) The maze is super hard without power pellets but once you score them the difficulty evens out quickly. 

2) If you are having pinball woes, experiment with hitting the ball with different parts of the flippers to see where  you can hit the ball with control, that control will become vital to earning pellets.

I am waiting for my version I ordered from Albert to come in, and Yes!! I totally gotta to own the real cart and box myself!

• Like 3