IGNORED

Baby Pac-Man

PacManPlus

4 hours ago, 128Kgames said:

Too funny, "spine issue"! I collect steelbook movies from outside the US and they often have the spine inverted.

I live in Thailand and, yeah, I notice that.  It seems to be mostly relegated to various formats.

Haven't noticed it too much with Asian movies.  Manga, of course.

But actually, alot of European books seem to do this.  Especially older titles.  English, too.

I just took a glance behind me at my video game collection, and didn't notice any that were inverted this way.  I'm pretty sure I have _one_... maybe an old GB game.

To anyone thinking my knickers are in a twist, please just laugh and relax.  It's mostly a curiosity.

Not sure my OCD can survive, tho!

Egads!

Edited by durkada
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, durkada said:

But, yeah, I'm a bit of a shelf queen.  Everything looks soooo good, except for Baby Pac-Man!  I'm trying to think of it like one of those buggered US stamps that are mis-printed and worth hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Genius.

Um, flip the box upside down so the spine faces the correct way? ?

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, durkada said:

I left my collection in the states, and initially came here wondering if maybe, just maybe, there was a weird standard with 7800 games that would make the spine reversed.  That seems like a tail-end Atari move :P

No weird standard with the 7800 or tail-end Atari move.   If you have a NES collection of boxes, here's a few I came across with a cursory scan, in which the spine title runs from bottom to top in at least one run/print of the boxes as well: The Karate Kid, Rambo, Ghostbusters, T&C Surf Design, Bases Loaded (Series), Renegade, Deadly Towers, Totally Rad, Shatterhand. ?

6 hours ago, Albert said:

The orientation of spines is something I've started paying attention to more recently to try and make them more consistent.  But depending on the designer and if I'm not paying attention, one will slip through.. 

..Al

LOL -- it's not a big deal.  I still get that rush that I had as a kid when I got a new game, except, of course, the box quality, manual, and much the art is of higher quality.

• Like 1

Same here. I just kinda put it on the shelf and thought “oh, I need to flip that box around at some point and never thought about it again until I saw@sixersfan105 ‘s comment. [emoji12]

It now stands out like a sore thumb to me.

208c83ef03ed7c571f91a503d87610c1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Albert said:

The orientation of spines is something I've started paying attention to more recently to try and make them more consistent.  But depending on the designer and if I'm not paying attention, one will slip through.. 

..Al

A few companies had flipped box spines back-in-the-day on 2600 games. Comma-Vid is the only one in my collection:

mygames.jpg

Although this is on the left side of the box (front facing right). If you look at the right edges of the boxes, it's much less consistent.

The rule I follow is that if a box is laid flat on a table (front artwork up), then all edges read right-side-up. They display looks nicer this way when laid out for sale at PRGE, for example. ;) 

B37A54B8-B913-442D-BE69-E75218485EE6.jpeg

6321BAA2-973D-48DF-8849-797A50D17D78.jpeg

Books tend to follow this rule for their spines (front cover up = spine right-side-up), so I just apply that to all four edges.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, durkada said:

LOL -- it's not a big deal.  I still get that rush that I had as a kid when I got a new game, except, of course, the box quality, manual, and much the art is of higher quality.

Re: “Much higher quality”

I have a late release PAL 2600 Millipede box—those red label releases? It is very poor quality cardboard. 

The materials AtariAge uses are so much better!

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Albert said:

I can fix this for the next run of boxes.  Then there will be two versions!!  :D

..Al

So I hate to say this but...this is a COMMON tactic in the blu ray world. Limited edition version of XXXX number, with a different cover (often a slipcase) and some special content. Those sell out, then they print the normal version. Arrow does this, and Shout! factory will simply only make slipcovers for the first XXX number of discs, making the slip the "limited" part without numbering. And some folks....they go nuts for the slipcover. NUTS.

You kind of already hit on this with Baby Pac....you did your own unique printed shells before the store version. They were the "limited editions".

• Haha 1

20190624_211717.thumb.jpg.ebfc8237f37efa074a5081192a7487d8.jpg

2 hours ago, GoldenWheels said:

Bob kind of already hit on this with Baby Pac.... He did his own unique printed shells before the store version. They were the "limited editions".

Fixed that for you.

??

Also mine glows in the dark AND has a UV LED in it (Yes, I painted over the eprom window). One of a kind unicorn...

??

Edited by Kosmic Stardust

1 hour ago, Albert said:

I did not do those carts. 

..Al

EDIT: Oh Jeez I actually got confused int he convo and thought I was talkin' to Bob! I know that Al, my bad. boxes/carts

As a non-boxer...I leave the cardboard to the rest of you fellows. I will say tho...in the blu ray world slips are often limited. And (some) people go absolutely nuts for them, going so far as to buy the slip SEPARATELY on ebay later to have it  "complete". Somewhat akin to how boxes are done for the 7800.

36 minutes ago, Kosmic Stardust said:

20190624_211717.thumb.jpg.ebfc8237f37efa074a5081192a7487d8.jpg

Fixed that for you.

??

Also mine glows in the dark AND has a UV LED in it (Yes, I painted over the eprom window). One of a kind unicorn...

??

Stardust, I've seen you make made some cool stuff but....this makes my head hurt. An LED in a glow in the dark cart? It already glowed! XD

• Haha 1