IGNORED

Baby Pac-Man

PacManPlus

• 1 month later...

Seeing all the work put into it, and the cooperative effort, I’ll just - as another retro-hobby-gamer, voice my opinion:

It’s very good game, thoroughly enjoyable and adding a genré that’s not to be found elsewhere in the ( growing  ?) 7800 library.

Edited by Giles N

• 2 months later...

Pacula has the ability to ability to freeze/control the mind's of character's by starring at them. 

I wonder if that is where the idea originated for Pac & Pal, when Pac-Man obtains a power-up to fire a projectile (looks like a wave or circle/cone of beams) to stun the ghost monsters.

It's manifested as a trumpet power-up item with the excuse of bad music playing making the monsters dizzy, but it seems such an odd item for a Pac-Man game until you consider Pacula's ability.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, PacManPlus said:

Wow that's...  interesting - didn't even know about 'Count Pacula'.  I wonder what the pinball playfield looks like.

I wasn't aware of him either.  @lapetino posted a few pages from the proposal, perhaps there's more that could be seen?  I thought the secret passages were interesting, they'd move and you'd only know their location by spotting a ghost passing thru a "solid" wall.

• 4 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, groundtrooper said:

Take a look at the screenshots, it's not the new Baby Pac-Man from Bob and Kurt, it appears to be a hack of Pac-Man Collection.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

..Al

35 minutes ago, groundtrooper said:

Oh ok. I guess I didn’t dig deep enough. I thought it was odd there were no “table” pics. And the menu looked very much like “Collection” it just seemed odd.

Sorry Al.
emoji6.png

No problem, I appreciate the vigilance.  I saw the auction earlier today and my first reaction was that it was a bootleg copy of Baby Pac-Man, but then when I looked at the screenshots I saw it was something else entirely.

..Al

1 hour ago, PacManPlus said:

UKI software? :ponder:

We actually have a hack from Justin De Lucia referencing it.  The ghosts look the same, as well as the intro, but the maze is different.  It's listed under the Homebrew and Hacks thread . 

It may be a variant or update of his work, or some imitator.  If you have Trebors PROPack check the ROM: Baby Pac-Man (Uki) (Hack) (20130422).a78

image.thumb.png.ed50b8f437e7dd6c494669aaa0650a8d.png

image.thumb.png.495b783becd01e73aeee9c1a24a54ded.png

*EDIT: The maze originates from Justin De Lucia's first/original version (20130410) of Baby Pac-Man (UKI) (Hack) located here

So the auction version is one that utilizes the ghost monsters' look from the latest (20130422) hack posted above from Justin, and incorporates the maze look from an earlier one (20130410), shown below:

_01-5_zps609e5925.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Okay, so after further snooping it seems 'UKI Software' was a small C64 developer in the 80's with only 2 titles I can find, one of which being 'Baby Pac-Man' made in 1984. Then it looks like somebody made a hack of Ms Pac-Man to use the maze and graphics of that C64 version.

Theres a 2014 hack / build somewhere that uses a near identical maze to the C64 version, only narrower to fit.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, SmittyB said:

Theres a 2014 hack / build somewhere that uses a near identical maze to the C64 version, only narrower to fit.

Someone took the ghost monster's from Justin De Lucia's 20130422 UKI hack and combined it with the maze from his 20130410 UKI hack, creating the "20140422" hack version seen in that video and evidently being sold in the eBay listing noted earlier.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In the description looks like they took the credits from AA:

Item for sale:

Baby Pac-Man Atari 7800 homebrew game (US, NTSC).

Cartridge only. No box / manual.

Tested and working (see pictures #5 to #8).

Credits:

Programmed by Robert DeCrescenzo (2019).

Additional Programming: Kurt Woloch.

Label Designs and Artwork: John Calcano.

Published by Atariage. 
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, groundtrooper said:

28 minutes ago, Albert said:

Thank you, I've sent a message to the seller explaining that this is not the same version of Baby Pac-Man we are selling, and to please remove the credits section from his auction.

..Al

The seller cancelled the other auction and did a repost with different info: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Atari-7800-Baby-Pac-Man-Tested-Working-VG-Condition-Please-Read/174332946975

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...