IGNORED

Baby Pac-Man

PacManPlus

On 11/16/2020 at 10:42 PM, Bratwurst said:

Just about finished assembling a prototype controller for this game. I designed a pull knob to launch the ball in the pinball portions and have buttons on the side for flippers. The action buttons are duplicated at the top so this could be used for other 7800 games.

qb7Cped.jpglQlTFyr.jpg

Very sweet controller! Just a heads-up - Baby Pac-Man arcade game didn't have a plunger.  The ball was launched via solenoid that was either triggered by the right flipper button or automatically triggered if you didn't press the flipper button within 5 seconds.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, koolmoecraig said:

Very sweet controller! Just a heads-up - Baby Pac-Man arcade game didn't have a plunger.  The ball was launched via solenoid that was either triggered by the right flipper button or automatically triggered if you didn't press the flipper button within 5 seconds.

You're right, I developed this mostly as a proof of concept since I was planning on doing something for the NES or TG16, but since I have a copy of this game for the Atari I figured I'd throw one together as it's very easy to wire a 7800 controller.

• Like 5

• 3 months later...

To the uninitiated, Baby Pac Man sounds like another derivative Maze Game that most people wouldn't want or need. But once you crack it open, you'll find a compelling hybrid maze/ pinball game where one has to master both to progress far. On a system that is king for maze games, this one may be the ultimate ruler of them all. Click the link for the review

http://www.atari7800forever.com/babypacmanr.html

Edited by Cousin Vinnie
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/4/2019 at 5:52 PM, Albert said:

I could get behind that, as I'm a huge pinball fan myself!  Definitely would be cool if the pinball portion of Baby Pac-Man could be leveraged into some original tables!!

..Al

I would love to see Granny and the Gators being converted to the 7800 after playing Baby Pacman. That would be awesome!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

For a lot of games, it's possible to say that the best port is the only port because, well, there's nothing else to compare against.

The 7800 version of Baby Pac-Man is certainly the only port.  But it's also the best because it completely nails what the arcade game was like.

Obviously, other systems are open to having the same game ported to them.  However, for sheer feel for gameplay, the 7800 version is the one they have to beat.  Good luck to them ?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

For a lot of games, it's possible to say that the best port is the only port because, well, there's nothing else to compare against.

The 7800 version of Baby Pac-Man is certainly the only port.  But it's also the best because it completely nails what the arcade game was like.

Obviously, other systems are open to having the same game ported to them.  However, for sheer feel for gameplay, the 7800 version is the one they have to beat.  Good luck to them ?

Word.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys.  I do try to capture as much of the game as I am able to, and again I have to thank @Kurt_Woloch (any relation to Dennis Woloch, who was the art designer for KISS back in the 70's?) for the amazing pinball physics work.  He absolutely nailed that better than I ever could have.... and the guys here  @Defender_2600, @tep392, @LS_Dracon, @iesposta, @SmittyB, @imstarryeyed, @NRV, @legeek, @Trebor, and @RevEng who helped with the pinball play field and with pushing me to get the most I could out of this. :)

What a wonderful community we have here. :) 

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 5

• 6 months later...

Went to a giant barcade in Nashville called Game Terminal (*) this afternoon and I saw an amazing assortment of classic arcade cabs, along with a huge selection of modern pins. Tucked in next to Ms. Pac-Man, look what I found:

IMG_1633.thumb.jpg.037694de49cc6217323e58c8119918c4.jpg

Yes, I played it a couple times, and yes, I was terrible. ? Tons of fun though! 

(*) The place is a converted trucking company warehouse/terminal, hence the name. But it's huge, has a gigantic amount of free parking, and a big outside recreational area as well for stuff like Giant Jenga, cornhole, etc. Great place to hang out and have fun. I only wish I still worked 10 minutes away instead of having to drive 45 minutes into Nashville and back home after to enjoy it. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, DrVenkman said:

Went to a giant barcade in Nashville called Game Terminal (*) this afternoon and I saw an amazing assortment of classic arcade cabs, along with a huge selection of modern pins. Tucked in next to Ms. Pac-Man, look what I found:

IMG_1633.thumb.jpg.037694de49cc6217323e58c8119918c4.jpg

:ponder:

I'm sure Jr. Pac-Man does not feel slighted at all. :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

• 2 months later...

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing Baby Pac-Man on tomorrow's stream LIVE on Twitch, hope you can join us!

Games:

(WATCH AT 1080P60 FOR BEST QUALITY)

• Like 4

• 1 year later...