IGNORED

Baby Pac-Man

PacManPlus

Video does not play. Probably have to use a "real computer" :P

Plays just fine on my phone running Android. You just need to have a proper app installed that can handle mpeg encoded videos.

Yeah, doesn't play on my iPad either. :(

ROFLMAO. For CrApple devices there is no hope since CrApple limits what you can do by locking the phone down, and dictating to programmerz what they will allow on the phone. CrApple users always think that their overpriced toys are magical.
  • Like 2

Plays just fine on my phone running Android. You just need to have a proper app installed that can handle mpeg encoded videos.

ROFLMAO. For CrApple devices there is no hope since CrApple limits what you can do by locking the phone down, and dictating to programmerz what they will allow on the phone. CrApple users always think that their overpriced toys are magical.

Yeah mine is an android a5. I dont download many apps. I type everything each character without auto predict or correct.

Use VLC. Best video player you can get with a wide range of support for different audio & video codecs.

Yeah mine is an android a5. I dont download many apps. I type everything each character without auto predict or correct.

Yeah, I don't download too many as well. Don't like to get my phone all bloated, and running like crap from all the junk most of those apps want to insert into the running processes on the phone. My favorite app is the web browser, Firefox for Android! :grin:

• Like 2

Tep... are you up to doing the sounds? You did such a great job w/ Ms. PacMan 320...

Thanks for asking. I would help but I barely have enough free time to keep progressing on my Donkey Kong II project. I'm also moving in a few months and that is going to kill my free time. It sounds very similar to Pac-man, so maybe just needs tweaking of my existing sound code. If someone else want's to take my code and build off it, they're more than welcome. I could spare some time coaching someone on how it works, if that helps.

Thanks, Tep - Actually the sounds for Baby are quite different than the others, but I'll tackle them once I'm done with the other things. I've had time to work on this since I was laid off, in between job hunting.

In the meantime another update video:

MAME Atari 7800 (NTSC) a78002.mpg.mpg]

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 5

Wow that is coming along really great I am super happy you are taking on this ambitious project....

Just a few observations of the pac man portion of the game, for those folks who may have never or do not remember the game...

I am starting to see the ghosts move in on pac man which is awesome to see as playing Baby Pac man can be rough. I have found that most people cannot do very well in the maze without power pellets as the ghosts really are on you and don't let up.

I have experienced when people, including myself, play the game I can eat maybe up to 1/8th the amount of dots on the screen without having to escape to pinball as the ghosts are just on you and are relentless... I honestly think any patterns are solely for the use of the ghosts to flank you from both sides in like no time flat.. being sandwiched by ghosts happen WAY more in this game than any of version of pac man. I can usually eat many or most areas of the maze without using a power pellet in regular Pac, Ms Pac and Jr, however in Baby it can be scary tough.. haha I guess that is the charm of baby, its ridiculous uneven gameplay against you.

The game play starts to level out as you get energizers and especially when you start upgrading the tunnel speed for baby pac to go though. Once you spell T-U-N-N-E-L a few times in a row and the Tunnel counter hits like 3, 4, even higher up to like 7, baby flies though the tunnel at light speed! This is a great thing as you moving through the tunnel slow and I do mean you move really slow without speed ups.. some of the ghost(s) will almost always rush to the opposite tunnel to trap and sandwich you in.. in Baby pac man the tunnel can be a very very risky dangerous place without a few speed ups.

I noticed you the the jiggle stall maneuver in the bottom tunnels, I have found on the arcade machine that if you do that in the game they ghosts will often just circle around that area basically closing you in forcing you to go play pinball..

In any case you are doing a super amazing job Bob, it really looks like a awesome game.. I have shown your WIP videos at my classic game store and I have a few customers that are already asking if they can buy one.. I think that is a good sign of a remarkable game!

Edited by imstarryeyed

Thanks for asking. I would help but I barely have enough free time to keep progressing on my Donkey Kong II project. I'm also moving in a few months and that is going to kill my free time. It sounds very similar to Pac-man, so maybe just needs tweaking of my existing sound code. If someone else want's to take my code and build off it, they're more than welcome. I could spare some time coaching someone on how it works, if that helps.

You're porting D2K to the 7800?

Wow that is coming along really great I am super happy you are taking on this ambitious project....

Just a few observations of the pac man portion of the game, for those folks who may have never or do not remember the game...

I am starting to see the ghosts move in on pac man which is awesome to see as playing Baby Pac man can be rough. I have found that most people cannot do very well in the maze without power pellets as the ghosts really are on you and don't let up.

I have experienced when people, including myself, play the game I can eat maybe up to 1/8th the amount of dots on the screen without having to escape to pinball as the ghosts are just on you and are relentless... I honestly think any patterns are solely for the use of the ghosts to flank you from both sides in like no time flat.. being sandwiched by ghosts happen WAY more in this game than any of version of pac man. I can usually eat many or most areas of the maze without using a power pellet in regular Pac, Ms Pac and Jr, however in Baby it can be scary tough.. haha I guess that is the charm of baby, its ridiculous uneven gameplay against you.

The game play starts to level out as you get energizers and especially when you start upgrading the tunnel speed for baby pac to go though. Once you spell T-U-N-N-E-L a few times in a row and the Tunnel counter hits like 3, 4, even higher up to like 7, baby flies though the tunnel at light speed! This is a great thing as you moving through the tunnel slow and I do mean you move really slow without speed ups.. some of the ghost(s) will almost always rush to the opposite tunnel to trap and sandwich you in.. in Baby pac man the tunnel can be a very very risky dangerous place without a few speed ups.

I noticed you the the jiggle stall maneuver in the bottom tunnels, I have found on the arcade machine that if you do that in the game they ghosts will often just circle around that area basically closing you in forcing you to go play pinball..

In any case you are doing a super amazing job Bob, it really looks like a awesome game.. I have shown your WIP videos at my classic game store and I have a few customers that are already asking if they can buy one.. I think that is a good sign of a remarkable game!

Agreed, the ghosts are absolutely relentless.

I also get mad when people use a different kind of phone than I do.

• Like 3

I also get mad when people use a different kind of phone than I do.

:rolling: ROFLMAO :rolling:

I never said, or implied that I am mad that people use iPhones. I just think that they look silly when they act like iPhones are magical, never break, or have more features even though you can do the same thing on Android for less. If paying more money for their overpriced toys makes a person feel better, safer, or elite then I say that they should go ahead, and keep enjoying their inflated egos while also enjoying the smell of ther own farts. Android works for me, and that is all I care about just as they should keep using iPhones if that is what works best for them.

• Like 1

Ah, two grown men fighting over which of their expensive toys is superior. Baby Pac-Man is being ported, and that's what's on your minds. I understand you had trouble figuring out how to download the videos, but once that was solved it didn't need to be discussed further.

• Like 2

Thanks so much guys.... I appreciate the kind words.

I will post a .bin when its ready... like I always do.

I don't feel that it is time yet... I want to get the pinball part in first.

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

post-1787-0-46184500-1526482841.png post-1787-0-99579300-1526482841.png post-1787-0-48230300-1526482842.png

post-1787-0-46256400-1526482850.png post-1787-0-04789100-1526482851.png post-1787-0-57330700-1526482851.png

post-1787-0-93093000-1526482851.png post-1787-0-99811400-1526482842.png post-1787-0-49930000-1526482843.png

post-1787-0-01154200-1526482844.png post-1787-0-26265300-1526482852.png post-1787-0-62340100-1526482852.png

post-1787-0-15357200-1526482853.png post-1787-0-44234800-1526482853.png post-1787-0-53988900-1526482844.png

post-1787-0-87580900-1526482844.png post-1787-0-22836000-1526482845.png post-1787-0-74226100-1526483259.png

Still working on monster AI.

Left 16K open for the pinball portion.

This will be a 48K game when completed.

The last picture is what happens after you complete 2 rounds of all three mazes. Invisible inside maze.

Also, I had to use the 'scared' bitmap when the monsters are blue, as they are the same shade of blue as the blue monster. It would otherwise be impossible to tell them apart.

They flash yellow when about to turn back.

*MODS* - can I have the ability to change the thread title? I want to change it to state Baby Pac-Man.

Thank you

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 16

Great work, looking forward to it! Will it have high scores? Does the invisible maze thing happen in the arcade version? From what I've heard, the arcade version actually contains five mazes, but no one's ever posted footage of the fourth and fifth. If pinMAME has save states, I'll try to document it. I can look into it later today or tomorrow, and I'll post my findings here.

Thank you -

This one does not support the HSC, but it will hold on to the highest score until the game is turned off.

Yes, the invisible maze happens in the arcade version after you complete two sets of the 3 mazes (there are only 3 mazes in the arcade game).

Edited by PacManPlus

*MODS* - can I have the ability to change the thread title? I want to change it to state Baby Pac-Man.

Thank you

You should be able to edit the thread title by clicking "Edit" in the first post, then "Use Full Editor." If it doesn't work for you, just send me a PM with the exact thread title you'd like to use, and I'd be happy to change it for you.

Thanks guys...

A little disappointed... I'm having a slowdown issue once all of the monsters are out of the pen. I might need a little help from someone who is good at getting code condensed. I think I'm overflowing the cpu time per frame.

Bob your version is coming along amazingly! My staff and I here at my classic gamestore were super impressed with the screens you have shown, the Baby splashscreen looks just like the arcade version!!

This is looking to be my most anticipated 7800 game for me..

Please keep up the great work!

• Like 3