IGNORED

Baby Pac-Man

PacManPlus

Great progress, I am impressed! Bob, as usual, you leave me speechless! :love: :)

First attempt at the Pinball playfield...

attachicon.gifPinball.png

I don't think I'm going to do the other graphics like the baby, monsters, fruits, etc. I could use the colors, tile space, etc.

But remember, this is going to be in 160A mode, so it will be stretched wider than shown here.

Bob, just a thought about the vertical resolution, because I see that only 144 pixels are used. Considering the total height at 224 lines, I wondered if it is possible to increase the vertical resolution of the playfield. Here is an quick/dirty example that compare 144 vs 176 vertical resolution (wide pixels).

Again, thanks for your kind attention.

Marco

post-29074-0-53793500-1528079661_thumb.png

• Like 4

Ok, so I had to make some slight changes to the colors. Thank you VERY much for the little additions, legeek. This is the one I'm going with.

BTW, yes, the grid was wrong, as I need to center a single tile (so I will offset the left-hand side by a few pixels - no biggie).

attachicon.gifPinball(with grid).png

Hey want was wondering if you wanted me to do some box art/label art on this?

• Like 3

Thanks, guys...

@Marco - I need space for the score, the current fruit, and the pac tunnel speed. Also, for any messages (like "You have won an extra baby"). Also, The 'lights' (like the ones that spell Pac-Man) need to be exactly one tile so I can 'turn' them on/off without affecting any surrounding tiles. Thank you though.

@Atariboy2600 - I'd love to see what you come up with... Thank you.

Bob

• Like 3

No transition effects. I'm working with 2 different screen modes (320B, 160A) one of them is mixed, so it's just going switch views.

I'm a little concerned about the pinball part and the ball/table collision/physics. I wish there was source code to the NES pinball game that I could look at, as I think that's the closest there is to what I'm doing here.

Edited by PacManPlus

I'm a little concerned about the pinball part and the ball/table collision/physics. I wish there was source code to the NES pinball game that I could look at, as I think that's the closest there is to what I'm doing here.

Quick search on "6502 pinball source code" turned up Bill Budge posts Pinball Construction Set source code on GitHub which links to PCS_Atari800

• Like 6

Ok, so I had to make some slight changes to the colors. Thank you VERY much for the little additions, legeek. This is the one I'm going with.

BTW, yes, the grid was wrong, as I need to center a single tile (so I will offset the left-hand side by a few pixels - no biggie).

attachicon.gifPinball(with grid).png

That playfield looks absolutely incredible! I can't wait to buy this in the AA store. I believe this will be only the second time a homebrew pinball title has come out. Brian Parker beat you with Xmas '16 (Holiday Pinball). ;-)

Are you using Pokey or TIA sound? I need to know in case I have to reserve a Pokey chip.

• Like 2

By this Friday Kosmic will be starting the he wants a cart is the game ready posts :grin:

Because you went there, I thought I needed to bring this up. I will buy a cart when it is ready. I'm not sure how voicing the fact I would like to someday own this game is the same as saying "gimme, gimme, gimme, romz on a cart, romz on a cart, now, now now..."

I enjoy beta testing at times, but I'm not going to burn an unfinished demo to a cart, nor do I currently have the means to, and I will respect people's rights by not asking somebody else to do it for me.

Hey Bob, great job on the game & Marco your artwork on the playfield looks really awesome.

I was going to ask... Bob is the Pacsulator screen is going to be implemented?

I doubt I spelled that correctly, but for those that have not played the game or don't remember.. The screen is an animated transition screen when you are playing pinball and you have earned at least one power pellet in pinball and have parked the ball in one of the two top areas of the pinball. Once you park it there and NOT gutter it on the bottom the top screen shows pac man going up an escalator back to the video portion. Pac man is seen riding the esculator "pacsculator" and then is released out of one of the bottom tunnels. Once pac man is released back into the video portion if he escapes back into the one open bottom tunnel (the other one is blocked I believe) he is seen riding the pacsulator down this time and then the pinball is kicked out of the top holding area and pinball continues to earn power pellets.

It's a small detail that if you did not implement it the game would not suffer any but is part of the original game and was fun to watch going up and down.

In any case I am loving the way your game is coming along! I think I speak for a lot of people following this thread as it looks to be one of the most ambitious game for the 7800 and highly anticipated!

Edited by imstarryeyed
  • Like 2

Hi guys - again thank you so much for the kind words...

@imstarryeyed: I do plan on adding the little Pacsculator cut scene, however I don't recall ever seeing it go up - only down to go back to the pinball portion. I've watched quite a few videos on this, are you sure about it going back upward?

Also, 160 mode looks horrible. Way too stretched.

I'd like to use the 320B mode again for the pinball playfield, but that means a rather large reduction in colors. I can change both palettes each 8 line zone here, but I don't think that's going to be enough. With transparency, only having 2 palettes each with 2 colors is a bit limiting. Of course that third color can be put in when it's paired with another color (i.e. not itself and not the background - WHY DID THEY DO THIS?) but that will be next to useless.

Anyway, I'm trying to figure this out...

• Like 2

You know Bob you might be right, I will boot up the arcade machine today and try it out.. I thought it was but I will check it out 100% sure today.

I am just going to open up the pinball glass and setup the environment but now that you mention it, your memory is most likely better than mine.

Thank you for answering my question.

Edited by imstarryeyed
  • Like 1

No transition effects. I'm working with 2 different screen modes (320B, 160A) one of them is mixed, so it's just going switch views.

Ill be starting to do some pencil art on the game this week^_^

• Like 3

Also, 160 mode looks horrible. Way too stretched.

I'd like to use the 320B mode again for the pinball playfield, but that means a rather large reduction in colors. I can change both palettes each 8 line zone here, but I don't think that's going to be enough. With transparency, only having 2 palettes each with 2 colors is a bit limiting. Of course that third color can be put in when it's paired with another color (i.e. not itself and not the background - WHY DID THEY DO THIS?) but that will be next to useless.

Anyway, I'm trying to figure this out...

Nuts!

Are either of these doable? They both kind of look CGA to me...

EDIT: Added 3rd comp.

post-568-0-98530400-1528223982.png

post-568-0-89337600-1528223989.png

post-568-0-51820500-1528224803.png

Edited by legeek
  • Like 6

Thank you, legeek

I like #2, but that gave me an idea. Instead of going a dark/light color for a 'lamp', I'll trade the tile between a black-filled tile for a lamp not lit, and a normal tile for a lit lamp. I can change more colors that way...

Give me a bit...

Thanks again...

• Like 7

Bob, any chance of bumping the table? Bumping is a big part of pinball strategy with the risk element of tilting the machine. Even if the table graphics dont move, being able to nudge the ball left or right would be a big gameplay plus.

It looks amazing! Im down for one for sure! This game was a fond memory for me; Ive always wanted to get one for my house. Thanks for doing what you do!

Bob, any chance of bumping the table? Bumping is a big part of pinball strategy with the risk element of tilting the machine. Even if the table graphics dont move, being able to nudge the ball left or right would be a big gameplay plus.

It looks amazing! Im down for one for sure! This game was a fond memory for me; Ive always wanted to get one for my house. Thanks for doing what you do!

Assuming the left/right fire buttons are used to operate the flippers, the joystick would make a perfect "bump" mechanic when in pinball mode. :grin:

Hi guys:

@gorfcadet: I do plan on utilizing the 'bump' of the table, again how Video Pinball implements it (is there source of that game somewhere?)

Bad news: I have to remove Mr. and Mrs. Pac-Man at the bottom of the screen... I don't have enough tiles for the pinball play field.