IGNORED

Off-Topic / Dumping Thread

Omega-TI

Jon, would you happen to have a wav file for Treasure Trap by Not Polyoptics by any chance? I have the original tape and manual, but I have been unable to get it to load properly on the TI despite much effort... I suspect the tape has degraded over time. 

No, unfortunately I do not. I only had a handful of TI tapes and a couple MG ones. I also had one of the 25 BASIC program ones from SAMs that Ernie put up on his site.

Would you like to take a shot at salvaging that tape if I shipped it to you? All I have is the old TI cassette deck to use, and perhaps using more modern hardware may help here.

Sure, I can try. I do have a newer RadioShack tape deck that I could try that has adjustable tone control, etc (other than this Realistic tape deck, which is rather old)... I'll see if I can digitize it and see if I can find my copy of Tape994A or CS1er and see if they'll digest it or not.

Do you still have my address?

Sure, I can try. I do have a newer RadioShack tape deck that I could try that has adjustable tone control, etc (other than this Realistic tape deck, which is rather old)... I'll see if I can digitize it and see if I can find my copy of Tape994A or CS1er and see if they'll digest it or not.

Do you still have my address?

Hi, did you guys get this Treasure Trap game working? I'd like to see what it looks like.

Damn, you're good! Yep! First reply, nail on the head! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:D While I never used it before this last summer, I've spent a lot of time with that program since. It's finally giving consistent behaviour for file transfers using the Tibb's Xmodem option rather than 'regular' Xmodem. I'm starting to actually like the program - and it's cool to have an emulated TI 'talking' to the real iron.

:D While I never used it before this last summer, I've spent a lot of time with that program since. It's finally giving consistent behaviour for file transfers using the Tibb's Xmodem option rather than 'regular' Xmodem. I'm starting to actually like the program - and it's cool to have an emulated TI 'talking' to the real iron.

Back in the late 80's I spent way more time using that program than was healthy! ;) Since I got back into the TI, I was never able to get it to operate under Classic99 or with the Nano-PEB, but on a REAL TI, it works. Of course with the HDX, there is really no need, and I doubt there are any local BBS systems around any more. I really do not need to use it, but it sure was fun loading it up and seeing those old BBS names from the past.

It's hard to believe 2400 baud was once considered fast!

Back in the late 80's I spent way more time using that program than was healthy! ;) Since I got back into the TI, I was never able to get it to operate under Classic99 or with the Nano-PEB, but on a REAL TI, it works. Of course with the HDX, there is really no need, and I doubt there are any local BBS systems around any more. I really do not need to use it, but it sure was fun loading it up and seeing those old BBS names from the past.

It's hard to believe 2400 baud was once considered fast!

Well, since you have the hardware, you should try a serial transfer between emulated TELCO and TELCO the real machine, that way you can see it in action for old-time's sake.

What's just as funny is fast forwarding to the 90's when 28.8k modems were thought to be fast. I'm annoyed when my Ethernet goes below 100kB/s :)

I been lathing my ass off about the controversy surrounding Duck Dynasty in the American media. Always makes me laugh. We have the same thing going on often in the UK too. Three reactors at Fukushima actually melted through, and everyone (or at least the media would have us believe) goes bat-shit crazy because of some controversial (to some) comments about gay people. I thought you had a 1st amendment!

This video is a great take on the controversy:

Warning: contains some bad language .

... Three reactors at Fukushima actually melted through, and everyone (or at least the media would have us believe) goes bat-shit crazy because of some controversial (to some) comments about gay people ...

Yeah, it's ridiculous how they spend time covering "news" like this, and ignore the real news - keeps people complacent and in the dark about what's really going on. F#$% Duck Dynasty - f#$% TV :).

Edited by RobertLM78

I been lathing my ass off about the controversy surrounding Duck Dynasty in the American media. Always makes me laugh. We have the same thing going on often in the UK too. Three reactors at Fukushima actually melted through, and everyone (or at least the media would have us believe) goes bat-shit crazy because of some controversial (to some) comments about gay people. I thought you had a 1st amendment!

The First Amendment is about GOVERNMENT establishing a national religion (the colonies had requirements for public office, etc., which required membership of particular religions) and preventing the practice of established religions, right to assemble peacefully, the freedom for the press to report on all things of public interest, and the freedom to express your opinions in public forums. (Note, also, the distinctions between RIGHTS and FREEDOMS.) Nothing in the Constitution limits private entities: A&E is a non-government owned network and is free to do whatever it deems. Corollary, people have the right to respond.

What you are seeing is active participation in the system as intended. While some people go overboard on both sides (come on, people, death threats, really?), what the response is really about is a large number of people saying that we refuse to accept this type of action and purpose from becoming a de-facto standard within our society. While seemingly dramatic, this is functioning as intended, where society is self-policing rather than bringing in "Daddy Government" to do it for us.

Fukushima Daiichi happened two and a-half years ago and, largely, has little direct effect on our society and how we live our daily lives. As well, since any fallout (no pun intended) of the event involves international relations, this is within the purview of our government charter, again as intended. In the larger scope, since changing of attitudes on nuclear power can affect our daily lives, this is where we have redress with our government through our representation -- though we are finding more and more deaf ears these days. Additionally, as individuals we can pick ourselves up and take action, through lobbying efforts, charity, or even going over there to offer help, amongst others.

I never watched "Duck Dynasty." I have read a lot about it since, including how scripted reality shows can be (like we never knew that wrestling was fake.) To me, the situation is a little validation of my opinion about who gets offended over things around here: usually the offended party is someone who has nothing to do with who should be offended, according to them, or parties who were not offended until having it explained why they should be.

If you think this is a blast, look into what is going on about the Washington Redskins professional football team. Knowing how they work, I largely take surveys and opinion polls as bunk but, for those who live and die by them, why ignore that 90-some per-cent of actual American Indians do not find the name offensive? Why ignore the fact that Oklahoma actually means "red people?" Why ignore the fact that it was the Indians who made the distinction between the pale-faces and red-skins? Do we only accept that it was co-opted by whites as derogatory nomenclature, or do we honor the roots of name? Anyone in the U.S. get offended by being called a Yankee?

I think a vastly over-looked factor is how many people actually like physically possessing things they purchase. Especially when books, music, movies, etc. can be recalled from distribution, or even changed out-right, irrespective of how much you paid for them, off your devices or streaming content provider. Once people understand the difference between purchasing a "license" for something and actually purchasing the physical media, there is a shift in attitude.

We did research on this in a class recently. There are a number of articles which discuss attitudes over media and mediums. Also our own informal discussion with friends and relatives reveal interesting things. It boils down to a culture of convenience in which people are willing to pay for "unlimited" access via a particular medium to things for a set monthly or annual price, and those who will pay to have explicit access to particular media.

In the former, think of a monthly fee to access the library, and the latter is a one-time fee to buy a book from a book store. Take the second case and present it for face value, but in the background it is operated like the first case, then people lose value for their purchase and feel cheated.

Some people get it and combine the two. For instance, now when you buy many videos you also get access to a digital streaming copy to be watched at your convenience anywhere you desire. If that streaming copy goes away you lose the convenience of watching it on your iWatch while on the train to City 17, but you still have it at home to watch whenever you want.

Another thing missing is that while a large game could be 71GB, Microsoft has done something interesting with Office 2013 which allows you to use the software while it continues to download and install. If you cut the game into chunks, then you may only have to download a few GB to being playing while the rest of the game downloads in the background. I would wager that someone already has a patent on such a process, which essentially takes the way we chunk a program locally and translates that to Internet streaming.

On another note, while I realize a lot of traffic goes do through Google's network these days, if Google rolled out fiber in my area I would not be partaking of it. And if that was my only choice, I would co-lo a VPN endpoint at a non-affiliated data center and route all my traffic through there. Paranoid, perhaps, but Google is not the "Do No Evil" it once purported to be.

• Like 1