IGNORED

Off-Topic / Dumping Thread

Omega-TI

One of my colleagues at work started writing a C++ Othello program last Sunday. It was ready to play by Friday and we had a competition with his program playing against my compiled BASIC program that I wrote back in the '80s. I ran mine in Classic99 alongside his. It was a best of 3 contest with the loser having to buy lunch for the winner. Mine won the first game 42 to 22 and the second by 48 to 16. I am looking forward to lunch, but even more so, I am looking forward to buying him lunch in a couple of weeks when his program can beat mine! This is what computing is all about!

• Like 2

Every time you insert your nanoPEB CF card into a Windows 7 computer it suggests to format the card. Is there any way to turn this off?

Right-click on my computer, select "Manage." Expand "Storage" then click on "Disk Management." Find the CF card in the list, right-click and select "Change drive letter and paths." Select the drive letter assigned to the CF card, click [Remove].

This can also be done with DISKPART: LIST VOLUME, SELECT VOLUME (# of CF drive), REMOVE LETTER=(letter assigned to CF drive).

Should work a treat.

EDIT: Small problem: Ti99Dir requires a volume letter to use it. So... no. No, you cannot. I never used this trick before on the CF7+ card as I just ignored the prompt. I am glad I tested it out before any one else tried it.

• Like 1

It's amazing that Microsoft was a success in-spite of that arse

Not really. What we are seeing happening with Microsoft now is a direct result of his leadership. Microsoft is pissing off its users, alienating its technical partners, directly competing with its solution providers, and much, much more.

One day, I would like to suck so badly that the announcement of my retirement makes the value of the stock I hold increase by a couple of million dollars.

Not really. What we are seeing happening with Microsoft now is a direct result of his leadership. Microsoft is pissing off its users, alienating its technical partners, directly competing with its solution providers, and much, much more.

One day, I would like to suck so badly that the announcement of my retirement makes the value of the stock I hold increase by a couple of million dollars.

:lolblue:

It's like he was kept on for comedy value and yet somehow got to run the show and made it to retirement.

There is nothing trivial about running a multi-billion dollar company like Microsoft, so let's be fair and give the guy some credit. He may act like a buffoon at times, but he is certainly no fool. Whether you agree with the company's direction or not is a different matter and IMHO Microsoft seems to be doing just fine...

There is nothing trivial about running a multi-billion dollar company like Microsoft, so let's be fair and give the guy some credit. He may act like a buffoon at times, but he is certainly no fool. Whether you agree with the company's direction or not is a different matter and IMHO Microsoft seems to be doing just fine...

I do not necessarily care about what Microsoft does, but I see clearly how his buffoonishness and antics are directly affecting what I do and how my "sector" operates. IBM learned a hard lesson in the 80s, and it seems other large companies are not learning the same lesson.

Oracle is another one. As it kills Solaris companies traditionally using Solaris on big iron are investigating other options, like Linux and AIX. As it tightens its grip on MySQL, MariaDB is positioning itself as the anti-MySQL -- direct from the same people who originally brought you MySQL. At the same time, Oracle is squeezing more and more money out of its existing contracts as its contract pool shrinks.

I can easily disagree with peoples' directions if past experience is counterindicative. I give no one leeway for the complexity of their jobs, nor do I entertain relativistic arguments on merit. The guy cannot move the company in a continually viable direction, and the response of Microsoft's stock upon his retirement announcement reflects that my opinion, as it were, is shared by others.

And really, that is just how it goes, with a notable few exceptions. When someone founds a company and it becomes successful, more often than not it is so under the direction of the founder or the founding team. When that person or team is gone or becomes diluted, the company will start to founder.

Scott McNealy founded Sun Microsystems in the early 80s. At his retirement he said that he founded Sun with a vision 20 years into the future, and it was time to hand it to the person with a vision into the next 20 years. Well, sadly he was wrong about his choice.

Steve Jobs was ousted from Apple and it needed outside help to stay afloat. He came back to Apple, culled its product line, brought the kernal from NeXT which and started pushing Apple hard into the success it was at his death. Since he died, four things happened that he would have never allowed: the iPhone 5 with a longer body, the iPhone5c with a plastic body, the iPad Mini, and the release of a flawed iPad. The latter was demonstrated before it was released, and I believe that with Steve's cash war-chest available he would have scuttled the boat in the Pacific and forced his engineers to correct it before anyone ever knew about it. Now, why do I think this yet we continually see problems with various Mac models? Simply put, the iPad and iPhone are flagship devices, where as different models of the Mac are just subset models of a product. As well, they go through different channels of quality assurance and testing. The iPhone and iPad were his babies, and anyone who touched them were subject to the wrath and full damnation of Hell.

Anyway, I should be paying attention. We are learning PERL for the fourth time...

• Like 1

Well, after nearly 35 years, Microsoft is still thriving, so they must have done something right :) I stand by what I stated.

Hmm Apple is also and was here first?

Oh and not going down hill like Microsoft has been doing for 10 years.

Not so sure about that... Apple has always been a one man show as far as direction. Time will tell.

Apple is now worth more money then Microsoft. And Apple just got a new market in China. On the other hand Microsoft is bleeding money for 4 years now.