IGNORED

Off-Topic / Dumping Thread

Omega-TI

i've posted in the OT about one of my non-nerdy hobbies, running. i'm wondering if it's not hazardous to my health, though. ;)

i strained my MCL in my right knee and possibly tore it, but i have to wait to have an MRI done to confirm.

right now i'm up to a 'fast shamble'.

post-52262-0-53150100-1530134711_thumb.jpg

i've posted in the OT about one of my non-nerdy hobbies, running. i'm wondering if it's not hazardous to my health, though. ;)

i strained my MCL in my right knee and possibly tore it, but i have to wait to have an MRI done to confirm.

right now i'm up to a 'fast shamble'.

I have one of those things. I hate having to use it, so I try to be careful of the knee.

Unfortunately I'm dealing with another painful medical issue right now. I'll be seeing a surgeon about it Tuesday. Two surgical options exist, and one of them requires a nearly one month recovery. I won't be able to get around the way I usually do during that time.

Hey, Nate. I did a little research on those Cliftons. If you sprained your MCL just running and did not suffer an abnormal event, you might want to consider a shoe with better lateral stability. These are rated nice and comfy but the softer the mid-sole material the less the ability to hold your foot steady in the foot bed. You are more likely to pronate (or supponate if you are that type) on landing which can torque up your calves, knee, and lower back. Hoko shows them as "neutral" stability letting the foot "adapt to its natural placement," which to me sounds like it shifts around like a wet carp.

From what I can tell, those use the same white EVA from heel to toe, and that material breaks down rather quickly -- your 200 to 250 miles seems about right to swap out, though one fella says he got over 500, of which I am marginally skeptical and think there might be other factors involved (for instance, Hoka says the 4s should last 450 miles, more if you treadmill.)

Weight will definitely have an impact on longevity. At six-foot-flat I am 225 pounds, which puts me at roughly 40 pounds "over-weight" so I tend to wear out shoes a little more quickly than someone else of my stature. (Thankfully about two-thirds of that overage is muscle weight, so no pot belly here like some of my compatriots with similar dimensions.) Rotating between two pairs of shoes for day-to-day and a cross-trainer for work-out and neighborhood walks helps keep them youthful, supple, and sexy. Honestly, from what I have been reading about these Cliftons, if I had held them in my hands and was able to compress the mid-sole with my thumb, as one reviewer was elated to find, I would have passed right on by. I suspect that arch probably twists right in twain, as well. Might work well for some runners but not this guy (pointing thumbs at self.)

I read a couple of places where users mentioned the 4 is built and feels different than the 2 and 3, so there could be a clue there as you mentioned coming up through the models. If you cannot or do not want to fall back to the 2 or 3, you might be able to find another runner made with differing materials, softer in the heel to give you a softer strike but more rigid down the arch to hold your foot steady and give the upper a good platform to strap your foot. I also would not discount the Brooks as an option -- even though we had it in a general retail environment, Brooks is known to be a damn good brand for running.

Getting older sucks. Not long ago I had to transition away from Asics because my arch starting hurting severely during and after longer walks, like between the stadium and parking, using the same model I had been wearing for years. The shoes had not changed, my body had. I switched to Saucony Grids and have not looked back. For serious work I like wearing cross trainers but New Balance discontinued the only XT I really liked so I am on the hunt, currently using a Nike for work-outs. I also buy multiple pairs (BOGO, baby!) when I find a model I like so I can be assured I will have a fresh pair when I need them and not have to worry about suddenly finding them discontinued as brands are often wont to do.

Certain I do not have to tell you, you will probably have to try few to get just the right balance of cushion to avoid shin-splints and impact/compression pain and support to avoid torquing joints. Good luck, buddy!

• Like 1

Wow- thank you for the the advice! :) (i mean that sincerely, not sarcastically- text doesn't convey that very well). I will definitely take the stuff you said into consideration since I don't want to retire from one of the activities that i really enjoy outside the house.

I'm 5'7 and 215, but my wife says i'm built like a 'tiny linebacker' lol- i wear out shoes fairly quickly myself. i have a good runner friend that is built similarly to me and was sidelined last year with some knee issues, so i'll ask him specifically what shoes he's running in since he's gone through his PT and is running again.

yeah it does, and im only 40, lol. i started about three years ago with Mizuno Waves and have gone through several different brands of shoes- the Cliftons for a while were really doing the trick but i've been wondering some of the same stuff that you pointed out. I ran into issues with the Mizunos because they *were* torquing my joints out and i was killing them really before i should have been realistically replacing them.

i have an MRI scheduled for Thursday morning just to make sure nothing crazy has happened so for now i'm wearing the stabilizing brace and being griped at when i overdo it ;) my main complaint is that knee is really tight, creaky, and has kind of an annoying constant ache if i am active.

thank you again and i'll report back with an update soon :)

• 2 weeks later...

Figured I'd drop a quick line in the OT.

i dropped out of the hobby scenes for the most part when i lost my full time position and benefits. My brain does that. I can't enjoy hobbies when real life circumstances take a sevre turn to the front seat so yeah, I lurked here and there but for the most part had to put things on hold.

With that said.

I start my new job mid-august so it's going to be a few weeks before my mind settles back into hobby mode. I put it on hold while i worked diligently to find new employment opportunities.

Sorry for the sudden drop off. Hope to be back in the swing of things soon. I have a long list of TI projects including at least one new game and one new TiPi related game. And Zombi has been bugging me for a makeover and change in scope sooooooo. yeah.

• Like 5

Figured I'd drop a quick line in the OT.

i dropped out of the hobby scenes for the most part when i lost my full time position and benefits. My brain does that. I can't enjoy hobbies when real life circumstances take a sevre turn to the front seat so yeah, I lurked here and there but for the most part had to put things on hold.

With that said.

I start my new job mid-august so it's going to be a few weeks before my mind settles back into hobby mode. I put it on hold while i worked diligently to find new employment opportunities.

Sorry for the sudden drop off. Hope to be back in the swing of things soon. I have a long list of TI projects including at least one new game and one new TiPi related game. And Zombi has been bugging me for a makeover and change in scope sooooooo. yeah.

I know that feel. Welcome back, man!

• Like 1

I'm glad that things are starting to come together for you again @Sinphaltimus, RL can be a real downer at times--but never forget that you have friends here too (and a nice support network of random craziness). :) :) :)

I couldn't forget you guys if I had amnesia. LOL :)

• Like 1

Just hoping you understand that neither the picture above or my 'RUN CS1' custom status is directed at you, OLD CS1.

As a tape only TI'er, i am rather fond of the RUN "CS1" command in XB.

As for the picture, i just found it funny enough to share.

Edited by jrhodes

Just hoping you understand that neither the picture above or my 'RUN CS1' custom status is directed at you, OLD CS1.

As a tape only TI'er, i am rather fond of the RUN "CS1" command in XB.

As for the picture, i just found it funny enough to share.

Well, yeah... :D

It's almost silly to give one second of credence to high asking prices on eBay. Remember asking aint getting. All you have to do is click the "sold items" check box on your search and you can instantly see how out of touch with reality the high asking prices are. The highest sold price is just over $60 so asking several hundred is just what I call "Fishing for Idiots".

I've been on a kick lately of buying some of the favorite books of my youth, but DAMN, << some of these eBay sellers are nuts >>.

Anyway, I was able to get my hands on a PRISTINE copy of Tau Zero by Poul Anderson for only $12.00 (shipping included). I'm happy!

to update on my saga of the knee, the MRI showed a pretty bad medial tear of my meniscus in my knee and some other assorted fun stuff (cartilage damage and fluid).

i'm having it repaired on August 8th- it sounds like they just go in orthoscopically and repair the damage. :) I'll be down a couple of days and then start slowly getting my knee back in shape.

• Like 1