IGNORED

Off-Topic / Dumping Thread

Omega-TI

Windows 10 has:

integrated watching crap from microsoft

forced interface choices

extra configuration abstraction (*how the hell do i do that it was easy in win7*)

bugs...

these are things you can't turn off..

You can block the spyware, "bugs" are in any software and anyway this is the stablest Windows ever, there is nothing "forced" that you could not customize, "extra configuration abstraction" is a fairly abstract statement and so on and on.

I mean, I hate the calling home, Metro interface and "as a service" model as much as the next guy, but this is PC world. Things can be dealt with without that much hassle, and lots of complaints (such as the ones above) are just baseless.

• Like 1

You can block the spyware, "bugs" are in any software and anyway this is the stablest Windows ever, there is nothing "forced" that you could not customize, "extra configuration abstraction" is a fairly abstract statement and so on and on.

I mean, I hate the calling home, Metro interface and "as a service" model as much as the next guy, but this is PC world. Things can be dealt with without that much hassle, and lots of complaints (such as the ones above) are just baseless.

or you can install 7 and not have to do all that.. or linux

• Like 1

The company I work for is pushing Win10 to my corporate laptop next week. I was able to postpone the inevitable for a few months due to a critical project, alas, I've been told 'no more reschedules'. I have Win10 on one of my machines at home and find it to be the least user-friendly iteration to date.

Disk2VHD your laptop. After the Win10 push run your old Win7 installation from Hyper-V :D

For me, the only good thing to come from the Division where I have my contract pushing Win10 is I can manage Exchange 2016 from PowerShell on the workstation. Oh, and that I can no longer manage Windows clusters. In the I.T. environment at least a lot of the old commands still work, like "control" and the .msc and .cpl commandlettes. For Windows 10, Group Policy and layout.xml is an absolute must.

Okay guys, I have another question about monitors. As of now, my plan is to get << THIS MONITOR >> and hook it up to an NVIDIA GeForce GTX1060 with 6 GB of memory.... BUT, I've heard that it might be better to get a 4K monitor and run Windows at 4K which is 2X of 1080P settings. What say you? Good advice or bovine dung?

Any suggestions on monitors other than the one I've selected? I'd prefer not to go over $300.00 on a monitor. Oh yeah, I also plan to hook my old 20" acer 1600 X 900 up to the video card to as a place to put all my Windows icons and shortcuts and files I'm working with so I can easily slide them into my work space on the new primary monitor. I know the native resolutions are not the same, but it's only going to be used for icons and shortcuts and storage space for current in progress files, nothing more.

My opinion: 4K below 30" is a waste of money. You can hardly see the resolution at all. Also, you may need to do some careful scaling of the monitor output, and then hope that software authors used scalable graphics.

I have a 4K monitor in my office (24"), and it's sometimes a pain in both Linux and Windows 10. At least it taught me not to go for such a monitor at home.

• Like 2

My opinion: 4K below 30" is a waste of money. You can hardly see the resolution at all. Also, you may need to do some careful scaling of the monitor output, and then hope that software authors used scalable graphics.

I have a 4K monitor in my office (24"), and it's sometimes a pain in both Linux and Windows 10. At least it taught me not to go for such a monitor at home.

Thanks. Good to know. I kinda thought the Dell monitor with the AE515 soundbar would do the job, but it's good to get as much input as possible before clicking buy. I'll order the computer Wednesday at Staples, but I think I can get the monitor cheaper online.

** EDIT **

Monitor was $60.00 cheaper direct from Dell so I ordered it. :thumbsup:

I've since discovered the AE515 will not attach to this monitor and that the AC511 would bypass the sound card in the computer. Jeez, all I want is some speakers in a bar configuration that will plug into the sound card of the PC as I'm limited on space. Dunno what I'll eventually get now..... (sigh) :?

• Like 1

depends on how cheap you want to go, Omega, but I have been buying these for users at work- they sounded pretty good on the NES I had hooked up today ;)

https://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/multimedia-speakers-z150

I see them usually for about $20.

Wow, that's cheap! I've been pondering << THESE >>, but I'm still at least a week away from making a final decision. I figure this computer setup is going to have to last me at least 8-10 years so I want to get a little better than 'average' without breaking the bank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1TV2pJcrho

Wow, that's cheap! I've been pondering << THESE >>, but I'm still at least a week away from making a final decision. I figure this computer setup is going to have to last me at least 8-10 years so I want to get a little better than 'average' without breaking the bank.

Well... If you're seriously going to drop $$.$$, I know they're too big, you could ... spray paint them black! I think they might sound calmer... Than again I haven't heard BOSE speakers in a long long time. The BOSE might have a directionality advantage on account of the wedge shaped base. Not too sure about the remote control.

41JdMdErl7L._AC_SR320,320_.jpg

Well... If you're seriously going to drop $$.$$, I know they're too big, you could ... spray paint them black! I think they might sound calmer... Than again I haven't heard BOSE speakers in a long long time. The BOSE might have a directionality advantage on account of the wedge shaped base. Not too sure about the remote control.

41JdMdErl7L._AC_SR320,320_.jpg

They look nice, and I have a lot of wood in my den, so they would blend in nicely... but like you said, they would take up too much space. The only reason I'm waiting a week is to see how much room I'll have after everything is delivered and I have it setup.

I'd really like a 'sound bar' to put in front and under the monitor, but every one I've seen (so far) is USB and has it's own cheap sound card.

On another topic, I wondering how many fps I'll get in Classic99? ;)

** EDIT **

I did find a sound bar << HERE >> it's cheap at $30.00 and will plug into the computer's sound card. The major drawback is that the reported bass level is... "it sux".

• Like 1

STAPLES SUCKS ON SHIPPING!

I ordered a new computer AND EVERYTHING FOR IT on Wednesday the 26th, so the computer is 'scheduled' to arrive October 1st... but the freaking HDMI cable for the monitor is supposed to arrive on October 8th a whole week later? Freaking Morons! Fortunately l have other equipment to borrow a cable off of, but damn.

In Windows 7 I had a great little weather/clock gadget on the desktop.. I miss that in Windows 10. :_(

There are a couple of programs that restore Desktop Gadget functionality to Windows 10 (although I'll point out that gadgets were dropped because some were deemed to be a security risk, as you probably know). I use a program (installer) called "DesktopGadgetsRevived-2.0.exe", which you can download through http://www.mediafire.com/download/jbbgksdbqsble9p/DesktopGadgetsInstaller.zip. Works fine for the couple of gadgets I use (clock, CPU meter, Network Meter). The only drawback is that some of the 'big' Windows 10 updates disable it, so you've got to uninstall it and re-install it (so keep a copy of the installer exe).

• Like 2

There are a couple of programs that restore Desktop Gadget functionality to Windows 10...

Thanks Stuart, I'll check it out. :thumbsup:

** EDIT / UPDATE **

Sadly the weather one would not connect, but the calendar and resources display work. Thanks again.

For the most part, this install has gone fairly well. I'm waiting on my new speakers to arrive, so during the wait I'm using the little Bluetooth speaker I usually pair with my cellphone.

The one thing that irritates me, is that I must have inadvertently tossed out my graphics/photo editor program CD when I cleaned house of extraneous stuff a few months back, because I cannot find my copy of Ulead Photo Impact 7 anywhere. I'm lost without that program.... (sigh).

Edited by --- Ω ---