IGNORED

Off-Topic / Dumping Thread

Omega-TI

Current community standards for topic names are degrading rapidly... This seems to be the 'community' thread, so...

A few seconds ago I wanted to rip a relatively new member a new one for using a stupid topic name that I instinctively don't want to click on, but then curiosity kicked in... This is click-bating... and I hate it. It causes other damages on the forum, so instead of editing myself completely, I thought maybe the forum would like to think about it... I'm not suggesting we get all stuffy and demand 'did you search' responses to every post... That's why I'm over here instead of back in the other thread... I want to 'slow-my-roll' or whatever and 'check-my-attitude'

My issue:

When you search, you just get a bunch of post numbers and the topic name... No one can find this information when the topic name is just a bunch of click bate. Occasionally I succumb to click-bate... but it is a shame to be seeing it here on Atariage... I don't know... I probably just have something stuck where it doesn't belong. The current community standard is migrating to click-bate style topic names... Makes it hard to curate information in support of each other.

Maybe, the community standard is: we don't search, so we don't care if search is useful... and we like click-bating, most of us think it is fun.

Just seems to me that if a question is worth asking, it is worth enough effort to be able to find again later.

It is great that this sub-forum doesn't have a lengthy code of conduct that stops all merriment and discussion. I'd actually hate to see that happen.

-M@

• Like 6

M@, I am guilty of this. Monday I had posted a April Fools TI Laptop post titled "New TI-99 Mini Laptop?". I should have posted it in the community forum instead of creating a new thread. I appreciate the reminder to think before acting.

It would be great if the search could locate attachments. I frequently search to find if a program and/or document has been posted, but sometimes the post does not include the title or enough info about the attachment to locate it with search (unless I am doing something wrong, which could be the case).

Thanks again!

M@, I am guilty of this. Monday I had posted a April Fools TI Laptop post titled "New TI-99 Mini Laptop?". I should have posted it in the community forum instead of creating a new thread. I appreciate the reminder to think before acting.

It would be great if the search could locate attachments. I frequently search to find if a program and/or document has been posted, but sometimes the post does not include the title or enough info about the attachment to locate it with search (unless I am doing something wrong, which could be the case).

Thanks again!

That was not a problem.

As with crappy emails, the complaint is the misleading, tangentially related (if at all,) or uninformative subjects. For instance, I have customers who routinely send me emails with subjects like "Help" or even with just my name or their name. Useless and the contents of the email cannot be discerned when scrolling through messages.

• Like 1

As if I cannot stay on-task as it is, this weekend the GPS in my SonyEricsson C905a stopped working due to the 10-bit week counter roll-over. I was going to leave it alone but last night I dug a little bit, including popping open the RF can covering the GPS receiver on one of my 50-some spares. I found a chip marked "2525 V1.0 4R, G0912." Found this as an Infineon GPS receiver, the Hammerhead II, roughly 2.5mm square with 49 pins. This is an all-on-one GPS solution which communicates to the host over serial.

Turns out the iPhone 3GS uses a chip from the same family but apparently a later revision. In the lack of useful datasheets, the assumption is these are compatible down to the pins. If I get my hands on an iPhone 3GS and its GPS still works, just a little micro-soldering and I should have a working GPS again in my now ten year-old phone.

Yeah, not gonna keep me down. Optimistically speaking, of course.

• Like 4

I picked up an iPhone 3GS for $15. But it turns out I may not need to do any micro-soldering after all. I fired up one of my spare phones, which all run the last available firmware, and its GPS works just fine. Leads me to believe whatever happened on my main phone may just be coincidental, unless it has an older chip which is not compliant. I must admit a little disappointment that my surgery non-skills will not be needed after all.

10 year phone? Are you going for a record or something? :D

My phones never last more than 3 years at best, simply because of my peculiar aversion to protective cases... I finally broke down this year and bought one for my badly chipped Note 8 in the hope that it will continue to work for at least a couple of years as I am definitely not in the mood to plunk down $1K on a phone... The prices are really becoming insane...

Well, if we are talking about account age we might be in for a tie. My account with AT&T dates back to Cingular around the same time. I had to switch from Alltel when they not only discontinued my analogue plan right before I made a two-week road trip, but said trip was memorialized in a $600-something bill. The conversation was long and drawn out with a rep, but in frustration the lady told me had I been on a digital plan it would have only cost me $183, so I told her that was a deal: close my account and I will happily pay $183. That NEC TalkTime 810 was probably the most reliable phone I ever owned.

I made an impulse buy yesterday for something I've been wanting for a while... The main reason for my hesitation had been the amount of desk real estate required for this monster, and that is still a problem! But you've got to admit this is a cool machine, and there is even an SD-based drive for it. I also believe the F18A should work with it as well. Like I need more distractions...

Which brings me to a separate point: While I love programming and tinkering with my TI, I am also equally attracted to other retro systems and there are times, sometimes months, where I don't touch the TI and work on another machine. There is something exciting about learning the use of a new system, probably the closest I will get to that incredible original excitement experienced when I brought my first computer home, the TI of course. I don't think I'm alone in this...

post-25753-0-72116700-1555153624_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

I made an impulse buy yesterday for something I've been wanting for a while... The main reason for my hesitation had been the amount of desk real estate required for this monster, and that is still a problem! But you've got to admit this is a cool machine, and there is even an SD-based drive for it. I also believe the F18A should work with it as well. Like I need more distractions...

Which brings me to a separate point: While I love programming and tinkering with my TI, I am also equally attracted to other retro systems and there are times, sometimes months, where I don't touch the TI and work on another machine. There is something exciting about learning the use of a new system, probably the closest I will get to that incredible original excitement experienced when I brought my first computer home, the TI of course. I don't think I'm alone in this...

attachicon.gifAdam.jpg

This line of interest has lead me from the 4A to the Tomy Tutor, then an MSX2+ system, then C64, building another MSX2+ from kit (GR8BIT), and a ZX Spectrum Omni (repro/clone) is on the way.

I find I like the devices with the TMS9918 or descendant VDPs the best. They tend to bind to the the 4A nostalgia for me.

-M@

• Like 3

I had an Adam a long time ago. It was fun, and the turbo tape drive was a neat novelty, when it did not eat the tapes. The biggest aggravation for me was the printer supplies power to the computer.

It should not be too hard to bypass the printer and connect an external PS to the console. I know Adam House used to sell something like that in the 90's.