IGNORED

Off-Topic / Dumping Thread

Omega-TI

I am ready to purchase a 3D printer. I have all but settled on the XYZ da Vinci for $299, but then I found the upgraded model with the 3D scanner for $799. Is the scanner worth it?

guess that depends on how much scanning you plan to do.. me personally if I had 800 to spend I'd put it on a prusa mk3..

guess that depends on how much scanning you plan to do.. me personally if I had 800 to spend I'd put it on a prusa mk3..

I looked at that, but I am not at "that level" just yet. The $300 unit is just fine for what I want to do, but if the 3D scanning is up-to-snuff for the extra money (doing the math, $500 seems a but much) then I do have some parts which would benefit. I am leaning toward leaving the scanning until later.

• Like 1

Another important anniversary: The Basic Law for the Federal Republic of Germany (Grundgesetz) came into effect on May 23, 1949. In my view, and fortunately in the vast majority of people here, it is the best constitution that has ever been on German territory until today (without calling itself "constitution").

Article 1: Human dignity is inviolable. To respect and protect it is the duty of all state authority.

• Like 1

After watching the video above...

Attached is a mid 70's science (OUT OF PRINT) fiction look at the emergence of an artificial intelligence, using networking (pre-Internet) by an unethical computer hacker. I enjoyed the book as a teenager, although it's simple by adult standards, it's still an easy but enjoyable read for us computer nerds, and only takes a couple of hours to from start to finish. Enjoy.

The Adolesence of P-1.pdf

• Like 1

Brits buy 32k 16 bit computer on ebay, only 3750 Euros. Now raising funds to move it from Nuremburg to the UK. So far ...in 4 days 99 people have donated....

The Brits responded to an ad selling a Puma 2020 ("wir bieten Ihnen eine relativ seltene Anlage Puma Computer") and expected an employee rescued bit of kit and found a complete fully cabled IT department, tape still threaded, long abandoned and sealed away- they had purchased 2 IBM 360, and an IBM 370, and lots of heavy peripherals - even field manuals, and boxes of unused punch cards, and sealed tape reels.....

post-47425-0-25534600-1558709200.jpg

Puma remain near to Nurembourg in Herzogenaurach. Yes, that Puma.

Quite an adventure. Lots of mouth watering pics on their website https://ibms360.co.uk/

Now that is what I call retro computing.

Edited by blackbox

After watching the video above...

Attached is a mid 70's science (OUT OF PRINT) fiction look at the emergence of an artificial intelligence, using networking (pre-Internet) by an unethical computer hacker. I enjoyed the book as a teenager, although it's simple by adult standards, it's still an easy but enjoyable read for us computer nerds, and only takes a couple of hours to from start to finish. Enjoy.

Thanks Omega, I love the old SF stories- not that this one is that old, quite recent!, 1977.just a couple of years before the 99/4 was announced. Watch for the Canadian tv movie of the book, made in 1984 (that number rings a bell) as "Hide and Seek".

The 1977 book seems to reference what today we would call a virus- had they appeared by 1977?

The book came after "Colossus- the Forbin Project" (book 1966, film 1969) but the 1984 film was rather close to "War Games" (1983) which had a similar story to this one..

Edited by blackbox
  • Like 1

I looked at that, but I am not at "that level" just yet. The $300 unit is just fine for what I want to do, but if the 3D scanning is up-to-snuff for the extra money (doing the math, $500 seems a but much) then I do have some parts which would benefit. I am leaning toward leaving the scanning until later.

Even worse... I just found a resin printer... not much more. Smaller print area but far better results.

• Like 1

Thanks Omega, I love the old SF stories- not that this one is that old, quite recent!, 1977.just a couple of years before the 99/4 was announced. Watch for the Canadian tv movie of the book, made in 1984 (that number rings a bell) as "Hide and Seek".

The 1977 book seems to reference what today we would call a virus- had they appeared by 1977?

The book came after "Colossus- the Forbin Project" (book 1966, film 1969) but the 1984 film was rather close to "War Games" (1983) which had a similar story to this one..

In the US, the film adaption aired on PBS as The Adolescence of P-1.

• Like 1

I have Hide & Seek in my movie collection, it's more of a kids movie though, not as intense as the book, as I think was aimed at the 15-20 age group where the movie seems more tailored to the 12-16 year age group.

I remember watching Colossus, but I don't have that one, although being a red blooded American computer geek, I have the mandatory War Games movie as well.

• Like 1

I'm a big fan of 70s sci-fi films, and by now I have collected a big deal on DVD, one of them Colossus. (Also, The Andromeda Strain, Silent Running, Soylent Green, ...)

Interestingly, as I learned not so long ago, Eric Braeden, the main character, was born as Hans-Jörg Gudegast from Bredenbek, Germany. Seems as if he chose his new name from his former home town.

• Like 1

Yes--the cartridges for the 99/4 were slightly less deep than the ones for the /4A, and sometimes that is actually enough of a difference that the contacts don't make a good connection when you put one of these older cartridges into a /4A.

now that you mention it, i *have* noticed that!

dang it, now i have to go check my 'early' release carts versus the newer ones.

I just picked up a batch of 50 cartridges. While cleaning them up I found not all shells would fit back together properly and determined one in the batch I was cleaning is roughly 1mm longer than the others. I found a handful more in a random sample. I am going to put together some details on what I found, but the primary outward difference seems to be the orientation of the printing on the bottom and is not limited to the game: out of five Car Wars I found one which is longer.

• Like 1