IGNORED

Off-Topic / Dumping Thread

Omega-TI

On 9/24/2019 at 7:27 PM, OLD CS1 said:

I do, as well, or it might be extended, again.  It really seems they want to make this.  I never knew about the Armada version.  I stay away from "alternate" Tranformers, although the "War for Cybertron" figures seem really damn nice.  I can forgive this Unicron design being a shellformer given how complex it must be, from a standing robot to a planet with a gaping, tooth-lined mouth, and HUGE!

That sounds like a healthy dose of male bovine feces.  What shipping company?

I'm looking at the current status of the crowdfund, and it's barely gone up to over 5,700. I really doubt that it'll make its cut, and after the one extension, I doubt they'll be willing to make another one just to try and bring in more backers. If they had limited themselves to 5000 backers instead of 8000, then they'd have made it, by now, but I think they overshot the amount of people interested in this huge toy.

Anyone remember the movie "Mannequin" from 1987? I found a news article that talked about the authentication of part of a mannequin that a Philadelphia store had that was the "star" of that movie. I love stories like that; there was a SciFi (SyFy) show about the authentication and auctioning of movie props and memorabilia that I got reminded of when I read that article, and it made me reminisce about other such shows, like Toy Hunter (which got me into watching toy collection webseries Toy Galaxy) and American Pickers. I dunno what fascinates me about that kind of stuff, but it does.

• Like 1

On 9/28/2019 at 6:59 PM, xabin said:

I'm looking at the current status of the crowdfund, and it's barely gone up to over 5,700. I really doubt that it'll make its cut, and after the one extension, I doubt they'll be willing to make another one just to try and bring in more backers. If they had limited themselves to 5000 backers instead of 8000, then they'd have made it, by now, but I think they overshot the amount of people interested in this huge toy.

I have a little hope.  It has gone up to just over 7,000 backers in just this short time.  I went ahead and jumped in on it.  The Lord of Chaos demands my allegiance.

20 minutes ago, OLD CS1 said:

I have a little hope.  It has gone up to just over 7,000 backers in just this short time.  I went ahead and jumped in on it.  The Lord of Chaos demands my allegiance.

Well, what do you know? They did say they were extending the deadline to after some sort of comic con, this weekend, so it looks like that strategy is working for them... Sadly, I don't have nearly enough money to get one, but I do hope it gets made, at this rate.

2 hours ago, xabin said:

And, just like that, it's met its quota by over 500 backers. Interesting. I wonder if it'll just be available to those who backed it or not...

Honestly, there was a part of me which was secretly hoping it would not meet the backer goal... the part of me that knows I should not be spending money.  But it did, so that means this next month my discretionary spending is done.

It is a good question.  If my hypothesis is correct, they will make a run more than the backing or put up some kind of after-funding limited order.  Though, they could also decide this will be a limited edition item making it more "valuable."  In a way I would want two so I can put one away and play with the other.

Yeah, I can see that.

On a different note, but one related to computer gaming, I'm excited for the news that Doom 64 is coming to all platforms next March, and as a preorder bonus for Doom Eternal. That means I can now have a digital collection of all of the main Doom games legally on my computer (I had to resort to total conversions for Doom 64).

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, mizapf said:

I wonder how "nuts" got its meaning as "insane". What is "nuts" with you in that case?

Etymology Online contends that nuts was influenced by the metaphoric application of nut to refer to one's head. To be off one's nut dates from 1861 as an expression for "to be insane". ... Also of note: nuts to mean "crazy" predates the usage of the same to mean testicles (1846 and 1915, respectively).

https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/23963/how-did-the-phrase-are-you-nuts-come-about

• Like 1

Classic99 is the ONLY substitute for Real Iron I use.  I've used it for years, I'm comfortable with it and I don't want to change, mainly because this old fart has neither the time or inclination to learn new tricks.  Yeah, I know it's for the Windows environment, but damn, I wish there was a simple and viable install available for the RPi.

Do you have hilarious ways of saying "being insane" in your languages? (+literal translation) ;-)

For German:

- verrückt sein (being displaced)

- einen Vogel haben (having a bird [i.e. nesting in your brain]), hence tipping the index finger at the temple (there is a bird in your brain)

- nicht alle Tassen im Schrank haben (not having all cups in the cabinet)

- nicht alle Latten am Zaun haben (not having all pickets in the fence)

- einen Sprung in der Schüssel haben (having a crack in the bowl)

- bekloppt sein (being knocked [on the head])

- einen Knall haben (having a bang)

• Haha 1