IGNORED

Off-Topic / Dumping Thread

Omega-TI

I translated this one for "not too smart"  literally from English to my wife's dutch relatives and they paused for a few seconds and then roared with laughter.

"The lights are on but nobody's home"  (De lichten verbranden maar niemand is thuis)  :)

Two more from German:

- den Überblick verloren haben (having lost the overview)

- den Jagdschein haben / reif für den Jagdschein sein (having the hunting license / be ripe for the hunting license)

Had to look it up for myself: I found that the "Jagdschein" (hunting license) in that sense is an euphemism for the official certification of mental illness. Up to the 1960ies, according to the German penal code (StGB), a mentally ill person was held unaccountable for any offense - thus, such a person could do whatever he wanted, maybe also shooting around. (This has been specified more thoroughly after the penal code reform in the 70ies.)

[This possibly also illustrates the fact that in Germany, you don't see guns; you must have an official permit to be allowed to have a gun. Thus, if someone is shooting, you could safely assume it is a hunter and has a hunting license.]

• Like 1

In Swedish: "En fem-femma". Translates to "A five-fiver". This comes from the 1864 year criminal act, where you could avoid punishment if you were declared insane acoording to the definitions in the firth chaper of the fifth paragraph. That legislation is now succeeded by the 1965 criminal act. But although the expression has lost its legal value, it's still sometimes said in a derogatory meaning.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looking through some boxes and stuff in the attic of my boyfriend's old house, we found a box of old LCD handheld games that all seem to work fine. The most expensive one (that we know of) is a Tiger Electronics Mortal Kombat Barcodzz with all of the cards and the container sleeve for them. I'm hoping to take some pics of them to put on Stewart Ashen's Snupps group for posterity, before we try to sell them.

• Like 1

On 11/14/2019 at 3:59 PM, xabin said:

Looking through some boxes and stuff in the attic of my boyfriend's old house, we found a box of old LCD handheld games that all seem to work fine. The most expensive one (that we know of) is a Tiger Electronics Mortal Kombat Barcodzz with all of the cards and the container sleeve for them. I'm hoping to take some pics of them to put on Stewart Ashen's Snupps group for posterity, before we try to sell them.

http://snupp.it/S7TX8e

Here we go. Not all of the LCD games, but all of the Tiger ones. We seem to have 2 rare ones: the Barcodzz one, and a Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego one that I can't find any info on.