IGNORED

Off-Topic / Dumping Thread

Omega-TI

Yes. Much colder on Titan. Cryogenic cold temperatures there.

As for me.. It's that fabulous time of year again, where I must endure the sloth-like narration speed and saccharine tonality of the Relias Learning online training narrators once more. (warning: It's really awful.)

No, you don't to skip ahead, skip the narration, "just do the damn test and escape with your braincells intact", NO-- It's designed to be as horrible as possible. 

I have 12 whole units to do before Dec 31.  In the past, I have been motivated to hack the training program to make the videos skippable.  However, they (the modules) are all some motley mix of inconsistently written horrorshows that takes more mental fortitude to devise hacking methods for than I care to invest.  Clearly relias outsourced the web development to the lowest bidder several times, and got vastly inconsistent results. Some are even broken, (I have had to "fix" them with the debugging console in the browser just to be in compliance, because they contain typos in the asset tags, and unless the asset properly loads, it wont let you progress, and you wont be in compliance. This is some dystopian shit here.) 

I get to go through this "Mandatory training" regimen every 6 months, and it is NEVER pleasurable NOR is it rewarding in any capacity. 

>.<  Errrg I hate this stuff so much.

• Like 1

I've read his stuff-- Also, his views on what constitutes madness are... Amusing.  I am sure the man would have found me quite mad. :P

Really, his protagonists would have been screaming and swinging from chandeliers after just a few hours at the DMV.  I can only imagine what his reaction to something like 4-chan (or the internet in general) would have been.

• Like 1

So, the post office just cant be bothered to *FREAKING KNOCK*, and assert (WRONGLY!!) that I was not home, for failing to deliver my PEB.

December 26, 2019, 10:04 am
Notice Left (No Authorized Recipient Available)
[address redacted]
We attempted to deliver your item at 10:04 am on December 26, 2019 in [redacted] and a notice was left because an authorized recipient was not available. You may arrange redelivery by using the Schedule a Redelivery feature on this page or may pick up the item at the Post Office indicated on the notice beginning December 27, 2019. If this item is unclaimed by January 25, 2020 then it will be returned to sender.

At least the post office is like-- A BLOCK away.  I will get it after work-- but still, WTF USPS, WTF.

• Like 2

Well.....

My PEB arrived.

I got it from the post office.  DHL international was NOT kind in shipping.  There is... Fairly substantive damage...  let me get some pictures...

20191227_075352.thumb.jpg.b72116f6c2c7cfa7860aa4f32e9f8d32.jpg20191227_075407.thumb.jpg.4383bb9e9eda94509a2a26e5699eba0f.jpg20191227_075438.thumb.jpg.5fb6cf56233d75cc3e7cffa16f2ddf69.jpg

I have not seen the insides yet... Not sure I want to.

So-- Lesson learned, DO NOT SHIP INTERNATIONAL WITH DHL.  They have butterfingers, and treat boxes marked fragile like they are basket balls.

Edited by wierd_w
  • Sad 2

I contacted Globeron via PM with that inquiry.

I am fairly confident it is the fault of one of the local package handlers;  I have had... Prior experience... with dropped packages. (My large format printer took me 3 months of repairs to get working, after being "OOPSIE!"'d by the package people.  Though that was UPS, not USPS.)

Maybe I just have bad luck??

Despite the condition of the product, it should still be useful for the purpose I bought it for:  Reverse engineering.  Even in the battered and broken state, I can still reverse engineer it. 

Edited by wierd_w

One note--the UV-curing liquid plastic works great to reattach all of the little plastic studs that hold the top metal shield to the PEB cover. I had to do this with one of mine that the shipping gorillas did a number on. It looks like the case did protect all of the PCB's, so that is a potential plus. And note that the internals of this monster were built to MILSPEC, so a three-foot fall shouldn't have done any damage to the insides. . .which means do some careful checks and you may find you have a fully-functional PEB.

• Like 3

Possible I suppose.  I will still need to... straighten... the sheet metal of the chassis though.

(I incidentally DO have some UV resin on hand, but my UV flashlight is over at a friend's place, in another state, after I let him borrow it to check for basement mold.)

Edited by wierd_w

Well.....

My PEB arrived.

I got it from the post office.  DHL international was NOT kind in shipping.  There is... Fairly substantive damage...  let me get some pictures...

20191227_075352.thumb.jpg.b72116f6c2c7cfa7860aa4f32e9f8d32.jpg20191227_075407.thumb.jpg.4383bb9e9eda94509a2a26e5699eba0f.jpg20191227_075438.thumb.jpg.5fb6cf56233d75cc3e7cffa16f2ddf69.jpg
I have not seen the insides yet... Not sure I want to.

So-- Lesson learned, DO NOT SHIP INTERNATIONAL WITH DHL.  They have butterfingers, and treat boxes marked fragile like they are basket balls.

Geee....this is terrible, I hope he PCBs are still intact....It is terrible with the shipment companies...DHL most of the time goes okay thats why I use them, but they handover to local shippers in country....also to Italy 2x times issues and 1x France. Post NL already gave me more headaches where I completely lost boxes...2 came back luckily, others never found back (I can insure it...but the content is not easy to replace if they give money back).
For DHL to report this issue at your end you need to fill a form with the local delivery company (I will sent one seperately to you), then I need to sent to DHL. (Also for Italy I still need to do it).....I thought I pacakged it enough with bubble wrapping it twice, but it sems they have been throwing it out of the airplane it looks like they do with luggage.....i am doing an international move and also shipping 9 boxes myself with 1x PEB in it...I already saw that 2x boxes are repackaged by DHL (Tijdingen binders and books are inside), crossing fingers they arrive here in Bangkok...they are almost 3 weeks on the way by airplane I guess...

I searched for the pictures of your box (gamma box. Indicating handle with care). (Box pictures are without the drives in it, as mentioned this box does not generate enough power or so, i have made videos with 1 diskdrive getting external power and everything works) and think I also made pictures where the box is wrapped in plastic.

(Already mentioned that the box is for 220V Europe and need to change to USA voltage, i pasted the yellow sticker on it).c11d69b0d508620dc131bc5786907f89.jpgb5f0c321f6ce51e099be4213725a1f93.jpg014700076556afa2b93a8134a5235c34.jpg71492c3afa7c04171d225a8a6758762e.jpg5bc870e323efb5fdbfcf1ebe5c7d8428.jpg138aad4adfbac99ce30f5ae81ba473db.jpg

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Possible I suppose.  I will still need to... straighten... the sheet metal of the chassis though.

(I incidentally DO have some UV resin on hand, but my UV flashlight is over at a friend's place, in another state, after I let him borrow it to check for basement mold.)
On the top the cover with all the holes in that, what happened there, did the metal let loose or so? I have never seen this (and I have had many PEB boxes in my hand).

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk

The corner with the power lead, at the top, appears to have suffered a direct impact with a hard surface.  A chunk of the plastic PEB top cracked out from the side of the top, and is laying on top of the metal there.  The corner of the metal is mangled quite good, and the back of the PEB has buckled from the impact.

The impact broke off all the plastic pegs that serve as the retainer screw terminals, allowing the plastic portion of the top to come away freely. (there is no nothing to hold it on!) You can see some of these pegs in the background of the pictures.  Ksarul suggests reattaching them with UV cure resin; I have some on hand, but my UV curing light is out of state. (Lent it to a friend when he had flooding in his area, and needed to check for basement mold.)

I am holding off on further investigation until tomorrow, where I have the whole weekend to invest in the process. 

I am interested in reporting the mishandling of the package, yes.  I appreciate your sending me the forms.

Edited by wierd_w

52 minutes ago, wierd_w said:

The corner with the power lead, at the top, appears to have suffered a direct impact with a hard surface.  A chunk of the plastic PEB top cracked out from the side of the top, and is laying on top of the metal there.  The corner of the metal is mangled quite good, and the back of the PEB has buckled from the impact.

The impact broke off all the plastic pegs that serve as the retainer screw terminals, allowing the plastic portion of the top to come away freely. (there is no nothing to hold it on!) You can see some of these pegs in the background of the pictures.  Ksarul suggests reattaching them with UV cure resin; I have some on hand, but my UV curing light is out of state. (Lent it to a friend when he had flooding in his area, and needed to check for basement mold.)

I am holding off on further investigation until tomorrow, where I have the whole weekend to invest in the process. 

I am interested in reporting the mishandling of the package, yes.  I appreciate your sending me the forms.

Let us know your further investigation and hopefully still everything works.

(you might want to disconnect the 2x diskdrives first from the powersupply

there are 4 screws on top to remove the diskdrives) and then test 1 by 1.

You know this already, but just in case (best is to try 1 by 1 the PCB cards (first with Flex Interface only).

then turn off box and use 32K, use Extended Basic, type SIZE to see if the 32Kb is visible, etc. to add

cards or test them individually).

Regarding DHL customer complaint/damage investigation process, I have DM-ed you with the CN24 form

and I will follow-up with them with the rest of the process:

https://www.dhlparcel.nl/en/consumer/start-investigation

Actually I do not dare to ship internationally anymore with all these issues

(hope my 11x shipments in the boxes arrive in 1 pieces and hope the local customs is not

coming into play as always, via normal Postal services (e.g. from USA USPS to Thailand, they

always keep it at the post office and I need to pay customs clearance, not worth it at all).

Also I have some other TI-stuff, but will decide later to do the sales or not.

I just sent 1x package to Europe (from Thailand) costed me USD 125  (for 1kg...)

Once again let us know the progress.

Aside from customs forms which I am required to fill out at the Post Office, this is a big reason why I refuse to sell delicate items to over-seas buyers.  That and when I do sell, I try to insure for twice the value so I can pay back the buyer *and* recoup my lost value.  Some see this as double-dipping but I would gladly plead my case in front of a court.

Some shipping companies are getting lackadaisical with package handling.  For the past three years of going to the Chicago Faire something has happened to the stuff I shipped -- this year being the exception because I babysat them while they packed the boxes.  Oh, and do not consider slapping a giant red "FRAGILE" label as helpful.  THEY see that as a challenge.

If we're talking about mishandling of packages and mail, I bought a fairly expensive CCG card from a seller on ebay, which got lost in the mail shortly after being shipped out. Then, right before Christmas, I got the card in, but the envelope it came in was mangled and torn in half, like someone tried ti tear into it to steal what was inside. Fortunately, the card was undamaged (which meant I had to repay the seller the refund he gave me), but still, that's pretty ugh.

I also remember packing up and shipping out a statue I made, as best as I could, only to have the buyer wind up getting it shattered. This was before the recent $50 min auto-insurance was added, so I got nothing out of it, which sucks.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Mehridian Sanders said:

Hmm another "What to do with you?"

I keep a couple of those on-hand.  Honestly, I never know when I will run into a situation where I need one.  There is a LOT of old technology still in use in the world.

• Like 1