IGNORED

Off-Topic / Dumping Thread

Omega-TI

Talking about the sky, have a close look at Betelgeuse (upper left star in Orion, orange color). It has dimmed down to 50% of its usual brightness in a short time, and this is actually visible by bare eyes (if you remember how bright it was before, that is). Astronomers say this is either a coincidence of two periodical fluctuations in their lower phase, or the star is at its end of life. If so, it may explode as a supernova anytime during the next 1000 years. This is a blink of an eye in astronomical scales! Exciting! ?

• Like 4

Microsoft has the intention of moving their OS to dumb terminal, ie, phones, PC with internet, ALL software to be moved to the cloud. Time for Linux
... how are they going to handle drivers? Since we all have semi unique pc's... the cloud going to host the drivers ? So when the internet goes down it renders our PC's hulking husks?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

No, not in my experience. I've put together machines recently and both Ubuntu and raspberry pi saw my video, sound, keyboard, mouse..I've never tried my printer as I use my phone.. but it's chances of being supported would grow.

Don't buy hardware that's not supported..

I think apple may continue with their OS.

But I'm not sure as I don't follow apple.

But I'm only using a basic system as well, so I don't want to get too far ahead, but my few cards in my system work AND my rasberry pi desktop works too.

• Like 1

CUPS on linux usually "just works" these days. There's a short list of printer preprocessor languages out there.

PostScript

PCL

That covers 90+% of all printers.  Even if your device is not specifically serviced, you can use the generic PCL or generic PS (like ghostscript), and it works great.

same with scanners and pals.  Linux has *BETTER* support for old scanners and such than does modern windows.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, digdugnate said:

Some of us HAVE played other games and systems, you know, but YOU GOTTA GO FAST. lol

Kinda; the joke is that the way he phrased the last part made it read like "wily", as in "Doctor Wily", and there's an Archie comic where he teams up with Dr. Eggman, so... yeah.

12 hours ago, --- Ω --- said:

... it's the dumping thread.  One can post anything they would like to share.  Not that I need to justify my actions or anything, but I thought it was cute. 

You read too much into it. It was not about you. As you say, “it’s the dumping thread.” It was a non-sequitur, asking-the-cosmos kind of comment. :)

...lee

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mizapf said:
Just a (obvious?) tip: If you hold your smartphone in landscape orientation, you could get more of the line on the photo. [emoji846]

One of the folder names has a "bad" word in it ... didn't want to offend. So

!!! W A R N I N G !!! DO NOT VIEW CODE IF HARSH LANGUAGE OFFENDS !!

There that should cover it.

D:\PROJECTS!!\~This Fucking Keyboard\KeyboardSoarers\Soarer_at2usb_v1.12_atmega32u4_ProMicro_Reset>avrdude -c usbtiny -p m32u4 -v

avrdude: Version 5.10, compiled on Jan 19 2010 at 10:45:23
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
         Copyright (c) 2007-2009 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\WinAVR-20100110\bin\avrdude.conf"

Using Port                    : lpt1
         Using Programmer              : usbtiny
         AVR Part                      : ATmega32U4
         Chip Erase delay              : 9000 us
         PAGEL                         : PD7
         BS2                           : PA0
         RESET disposition             : dedicated
         RETRY pulse                   : SCK
         serial program mode           : yes
         parallel program mode         : yes
         Timeout                       : 200
         StabDelay                     : 100
         CmdexeDelay                   : 25
         SyncLoops                     : 32
         ByteDelay                     : 0
         PollIndex                     : 3
         PollValue                     : 0x53
         Memory Detail                 :

Block Poll               Page                       Polled
           Memory Type Mode Delay Size  Indx Paged  Size   Size #Pages MinW  MaxW   ReadBack
           ----------- ---- ----- ----- ---- ------ ------ ---- ------ ----- ----- ---------
           eeprom        65    10     8    0 no       1024    8      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           flash         65     6   128    0 yes     32768  128    256  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
           lfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           hfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           efuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           lock           0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           calibration    0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00
           signature      0     0     0    0 no          3    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00

Programmer Type : USBtiny
         Description     : USBtiny simple USB programmer, http://www.ladyada.net/make/usbtinyisp/
avrdude: programmer operation not supported

avrdude: Using SCK period of 10 usec
avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.01s

avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e9587
avrdude: safemode: lfuse reads as FF
avrdude: safemode: hfuse reads as D8
avrdude: safemode: efuse reads as CB

avrdude: safemode: lfuse reads as FF
avrdude: safemode: hfuse reads as D8
avrdude: safemode: efuse reads as CB
avrdude: safemode: Fuses OK

avrdude done.  Thank you.

D:\PROJECTS!!\~This Fucking Keyboard\KeyboardSoarers\Soarer_at2usb_v1.12_atmega32u4_ProMicro_Reset>avrdude -p m32u4 -c usbtiny -U flash:w:Soarer_at2usb_v1.12_atmega32u4_ProMicro_Reset.hex

avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.01s

avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e9587
avrdude: NOTE: FLASH memory has been specified, an erase cycle will be performed
         To disable this feature, specify the -D option.
avrdude: erasing chip
avrdude: reading input file "Soarer_at2usb_v1.12_atmega32u4_ProMicro_Reset.hex"
avrdude: input file Soarer_at2usb_v1.12_atmega32u4_ProMicro_Reset.hex auto detected as Intel Hex
avrdude: writing flash (14414 bytes):

Writing | ################################################## | 100% 22.11s

avrdude: 14414 bytes of flash written
avrdude: verifying flash memory against Soarer_at2usb_v1.12_atmega32u4_ProMicro_Reset.hex:
avrdude: load data flash data from input file Soarer_at2usb_v1.12_atmega32u4_ProMicro_Reset.hex:
avrdude: input file Soarer_at2usb_v1.12_atmega32u4_ProMicro_Reset.hex auto detected as Intel Hex
avrdude: input file Soarer_at2usb_v1.12_atmega32u4_ProMicro_Reset.hex contains 14414 bytes
avrdude: reading on-chip flash data:

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 11.96s

avrdude: verifying ...
avrdude: verification error, first mismatch at byte 0x0480
         0x04 != 0x02
avrdude: verification error; content mismatch

avrdude: safemode: Fuses OK
avrdude done.  Thank you.

D:\PROJECTS!!\~This Fucking Keyboard\KeyboardSoarers\Soarer_at2usb_v1.12_atmega32u4_ProMicro_Reset>

Edited by Mehridian Sanders
  • Like 1