IGNORED

Off-Topic / Dumping Thread

Omega-TI

1 hour ago, HOME AUTOMATION said:

"This @&#$!&% Keyboard"

...obviously meant affectionately!:lust:

LOL oh yes. My first foray into older keyboard conversion ended with total frustration. (Comfort Keyboard Systems)

.. 3 piece keyboard interchangeable sections. modular positioning. Really interesting! Couldn't get the darn thing to work at all ... spent 3 months on it. Finally gave up ... then I got this:

Decision Data 120+ keyboard.... also 6p6c rj25? Model C1401A

Trying to get Soarer's Converter to work with it (Pro Micro Atmel "MEGA32U4")

I think I got it right this time. it says it is programmed

• Like 1

--  ♫♪ Since I have a hammer  ♪♫  --

------ ♫♪ I did some hammering this morning!  ♪♫ --

20200120_093525.thumb.jpg.da30cb04c35feb1aac1dc6ed81f8ccc6.jpg20200120_093537.thumb.jpg.a3562e9e78b49ecd4c686405cc7c6ed8.jpg20200120_093416.thumb.jpg.d167b219c2b121fc41ffe3e11f0c3439.jpg

20200120_093507.thumb.jpg.dbeb4322aa378f29973253cec1d9ca49.jpg20200120_093515.thumb.jpg.07aa900a9cfc3097f919fb4870c2ef84.jpg

(Who else on here gets to claim that they took a hammer to their PEB, and that it was a GOOD thing? LOL)

The deformation was more extreme than I initially thought too.  The divider inside that covers the PSU was bend a good 15 degrees in one location, and the screw mount leg was torqued about 20 degrees.  It took pretty extensive hammering to get it back "this nice".

Now instead of crushed in in the corner, and taco-ed in the back, it is merely rippled and scuffed.  The back actually looks correct now.

The cards appear to have survived, but I have not done a power on test yet.  The plastic part of the top is pretty damaged; Not sure if I can reasonably fix it.  I will probably have to manufacture a replacement part.

Edited by wierd_w
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

The sad part, is that the post office says that I have to file online, and that *I* have to fill out the damage claim form.

The DHL form, clearly says it is the post office that is supposed to fill it out.

Gotta love those bureaucratic catch-22s.  Sure, here's a form that can't be filled out. (rolls eyes)

The sad part, is that the post office says that I have to file online, and that *I* have to fill out the damage claim form.

The DHL form, clearly says it is the post office that is supposed to fill it out.

Gotta love those bureaucratic catch-22s.  Sure, here's a form that can't be filled out. (rolls eyes)
The sad part the last time I did that was they told me I have to give them the item to get compensated for the damage

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, wierd_w said:

I have measured the plastic top part, and have created a quick and dirty CAD model.

Segmented it into 8 sections.  Looks like the hole pattern will work for me without issues.  Gonna start printing soon. Material will be black PLA.

Is there any chance your completed design could be added to the 3D Printer designs << HERE >>?

You know, what I (and a few others) would REALLY like to see?  A 3D printed piece that looks like the top of the PEB... but for the bottom.  Some of us use the P-Box in a tower arrangement and having both sides match (as much as possible) would be fantastic!! ?  

Once all the pieces are assembled, a guy could apply some color matching spray paint and then attach it for a more aesthetically pleasing P-Box.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, --- Ω --- said:

Is there any chance your completed design could be added to the 3D Printer designs << HERE >>?

You know, what I (and a few others) would REALLY like to see?  A 3D printed piece that looks like the top of the PEB... but for the bottom.  Some of us use the P-Box in a tower arrangement and having both sides match (as much as possible) would be fantastic!! ?  

Once all the pieces are assembled, a guy could apply some color matching spray paint and then attach it for a more aesthetically pleasing P-Box.

My ghetto chinese knockoff i3 is hardly the fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy you know. Still printing the first of the 8 sections.  Since I intend to use the attachment point screw holes to hold it down (and each section conveniently has at least 3 holes already!) I did not add any tabs or anything. It's just 8 rectangular(ish) slabs that sit next to each other, that then form a complete PEB top.  Like I said, quick and dirty.

The bottom will be... Hmm...

You know some of the screws that hold the PEB together are on the bottom, right?  The only real way to accomplish that is gonna be to abuse some of the thru holes with longer screws, which I don't think I have.

OK, you want STL files for the quick and dirty model? Here they are.

First up-- If somebody happens to have a great big 3D printer that can do this monolithically...

monolithic.7z

and here it is divided into the 8 tab-less sections (For people with more consumer grade printers)

PEB TOP sectional.7z

AND-- If somebody wants the CAD data...

PebTop.stp

Edited by wierd_w
  • Like 2

For the bottom:  Since it's essentially a veneer, so what about Velcro Command Strips?

1) They will be forgiving it not placed exactly correct.

2) They can be removed easily without damaging the P-Box.

3) You'll not be able to see the fasteners.

4) They are inexpensive.

5) It could be accomplished by anyone with the pieces.

I will have to modify the data a bit to make a back section like that. (For starters, the "step" in it needs to be removed-- AND it has to be mirrored after that so it matches...)

Velcro is not my first choice.  Neither is double-stick tape.

The 8 thru holes that hold down the card slot backplane (and alignment grid) could have longer machine screws put through, that could then reach into the sections on the back.

A modified plastic skid-plate for the floppy bay that has recesses (for screws to go the OTHER way through) could give a few more.

I need to think about it more to come up with other clever holding that could be done

9 hours ago, wierd_w said:

I will have to modify the data a bit to make a back section like that. (For starters, the "step" in it needs to be removed-- AND it has to be mirrored after that so it matches...)

Velcro is not my first choice.  Neither is double-stick tape.

The 8 thru holes that hold down the card slot backplane (and alignment grid) could have longer machine screws put through, that could then reach into the sections on the back.

A modified plastic skid-plate for the floppy bay that has recesses (for screws to go the OTHER way through) could give a few more.

I need to think about it more to come up with other clever holding that could be done

I dunno, removing those rubber feet and replacing it Velco strips to hold the panels seems like it would do a fairly decent job.  It would sure look more professional than a piece of silver poster board cut out to fit.

I'm also thinking on the top and bottom pieces where it extends out from the back could be printed a little thicker with grooves for added support.

913067628_TI-994AP-BoxBottomView.thumb.png.4d6cf3497cf066563f9281e04d316719.png

• Like 1

I need to make revisions. (this is kinda why I typically hold off on posting quick and dirty models.)

Issues:

1) The retention spring tabs in the back have no allowance for operation in existing model(s).

2) the holes, while in the correct locations, lack sufficient depth to give good grip in any place except the thick ledge in the back.

Proposed solutions:

1) Make cutout notches in impacted areas

2) Replace hole pattern with "Peg" pattern, use half-moon clips on interior side to retain mechanically, except the holes in the thick ledge, which work fine.

The holes in the metal portion of the PEB top are 7mm across. I will produce 6mm diameter pegs, which should be plenty stout at the slicer settings I am using.  I will make them tall enough to slip a 3D printed half-moon clip (2mm thick minimum) through a notch in their diameter, and still have enough "beef" to have good mechanical holding. The metal is .063" thick. I can model in a radiused reduction in the diameter to 5mm, that is 2mm tall to facilitate this.

I will then reprint the corner piece I printed today with the changes, and test fitting.

• Like 1

You know what would be PERFECT for the bottom of the P-Box?  One gigantic refrigerator type magnet of a photo of the top of the P-Box!

I wonder where you could get something like that made and for how much?  Possibly a place that makes magnetic signs for vehicles.  Hmmm, I think I'll look into this some more.

• Like 1