IGNORED

Off-Topic / Dumping Thread

Omega-TI

I was a little more active than I recall when I was but a sprout.  I received answers from most places to which I sent inquiries.  Two in particular here: Triton Products and Parker Bros. responded to my inquiry about submitting software and remaining inventory of video games.

Triton responded twice, though to my recollection I only sent a single letter.  However, one seems signed directly by VP Terry Miller and the other by secretary (bk.)

While I was very much interested in completing and polishing the COMPUTE! Magazine conversions I wrote and submitting them to Asgard and Triton, by the summer I had completed my transition to the Commodore 64 and those programs languished.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, xabin said:

To be fair, apparently UFO is supposed to be pronounced "You-foh" and not "You-eff-oh", so...

Acronyms are not supposed to be pronounced as a word.

Acronyms like 'UFO' should actually be written with . between letters, like U.F.O.

It's a Unidentified Fyling Object, not a 'You-foh'; those letters actually have a meaning, they should not just be taken at face-value and given a nonsense pronunciation.

Edited by jrhodes
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, jrhodes said:

Acronyms are not supposed to be pronounced as a word.

Acronyms like 'UFO' should actually be written with . between letters, like U.F.O.

It's a Unidentified Fyling Object, not a 'You-foh'; those letters actually have a meaning, they should not just taken at face-value and given a nonsense pronunciation.

From what I understand, that's an initialism. An acronym is a a contraction meant to be pronounced like an actual word: NASA (acronym) vs. CIA (initialism). We pronounce UFO as the latter, but the person who popularized the term specifically wrote in his notes about the phenomenon that he intended it to be pronounced as the former. Look it up, if you don't believe it.

6 minutes ago, mizapf said:

May I also add that Uranus is correctly pronounced like "You-rennes". (It took me 40 years to get the pun.)

Pointed out by the answer to, “How is a wad of TP like the Starship Enterprise?’

They both circle Uranus looking for Klingons.

...lee

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Ksarul said:

I like those ten-siders. Now I will have to hunt some down to add to my set of interesting dice. . .

This is the set i got from amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Learning-Advantage-CTU7309-Decimal-Dice44/dp/B01AXCG4WW/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=decimal+d10+dice&qid=1584223532&s=toys-and-games&sr=1-1

There is also a six-sided die that features the first eight digits of pi arranged in a circle around the pi symbol. Each of the numbers 1-6 is contained in the first eight digits of pi, and one of them is enlarged on each face, allowing the dice to be used like regular dice.

https://www.mathartfun.com/d6.html

Plus, there is a die shaped like the pi symbol

https://www.shapeways.com/product/3USBRYLED/pi-d6?optionId=40743680&li=marketplace

Edited by jrhodes
  • Like 1

Like many others, my employer has sent us all to work from home.

It's important to keep a positive attitude. With that in mind, here are some ways my office is better than it was last week.

• I have a parking space right next to the office.
  • It's not just lunch--I can get 3 meals a day at work.
  • All my favorite snacks and drinks are here.
  • No more worries about losing my key card.
  • It's OK to bring pets to work.
  • The nap room has my favorite pillow.
  • Child care is now offered on-site!

• Like 5
  • Haha 4