IGNORED

Off-Topic / Dumping Thread

Omega-TI

This so called 'stimulus' is only going to become added national debt that interest will have to be paid on later, so I'm not exactly sure how 'stimulating' it's going to be in the long term.  For those that really NEED it, it'll probably go to pay for necessities that they would have spent money on anyway like rent or utilities. 

If this really does come to fruition, I'll just bank mine, so the stimulus part will be lost where I'm involved.  It makes me wonder though, as this probably qualifies as 'unearned income', or income that is not already taxed, I'm wondering how it'll affect peoples 2020 tax returns?  You know how it goes, give with one hand, take back with the other.  

• Like 1

Can't go back... gotta beat this and press on...I saw that one dude that said he was sicker than a dog, then started that malaria drug and he said yesterday was his first day eating in awhile, and he was able to hold a camera interview, so there's good news here I believe

9 minutes ago, GDMike said:

Can't go back... gotta beat this and press on...I saw that one dude that said he was sicker than a dog, then started that malaria drug and he said yesterday was his first day eating in awhile, and he was able to hold a camera interview, so there's good news here I believe

That's good news even if it's "one in a row".  There are probably a lot of helpful anti-viral medications that are being tested as well. At least I got that impression from some things that VP Pence said yesterday. Hope it's not just hot air.

Edited by TheBF
typo
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, GDMike said:

Someone reported a scam, she said she received a check for$1300 and she called that bank, they told her that it was a scammer trying to get her bank info and if she had deposited it, they would of gotten some of her banking information.

Some one mentioned this on a meme. I said " open a temp account, deposit the check, wait for it to clear, put it in a good account, close the temp account". Money banked. Simple.

11 hours ago, GDMike said:

Someone reported a scam, she said she received a check for$1300 and she called that bank, they told her that it was a scammer trying to get her bank info and if she had deposited it, they would of gotten some of her banking information.

As a former Western Union employee I can tell you that this is just one of hundreds of variations of scams perpetrated by criminals.

I cannot say I have heard all of them but the check scam is commonly like this:

1. The crook sends you a check for some "work" or "valuable service" you have agreed to do, like answer some questions for a "survey".

2. They send you a check for more than they agreed to send "by accident"

3. They say "Just deposit the check and send us the overage amount by ... Western Union or Moneygram. (cash payment services)

4. You do what they say and send them a bunch of money and 3 to 6 days later the bank says "That check didn't clear. It was bad"

5. You are very sad/mad.?

These scams are a multi-billion dollar business.  In the early 2000s Moneygram was fined ~$100M by the US Federal Trade Commission and about 3 years ago WU was fined ~$400M.  These amounts are just the estimated revenue that the companies took in for doing the transactions. The actual amount of money scammed would be about ~9.5X more  or ~4.7B US dollars.  

Other scams are:

1. The grandparent scam. "Don't tell my parents Grandpa but I got in an accident and need some money to pay the other guy off"

2. You won the Canadian lottery! Yes! And if you can send me the taxes owed... How? By Western Union of course ,I will Fedex you check for $2M today!

3. The Class action suit scam. "Have you been scammed of some money? I am with the firm of blah blah blah. If you can send me $565, ... by Western Union , we will get your name on the suit. I can guarantee we will get your money back. (Same guys do this after you stop sending them money for the other scams)

These are truly evil people.

Western Union and Moneygram are amazing services for families to help each other almost anywhere in the world.

(Ask your bank to send money to Burkina Faso {look it up} to a person who has no bank account) :) 

But where there is money there are crooks and they are quite clever.

Both companies have had to adapt continuously to these people.

Sorry for the long winded post, but it's a hot button for me. :) 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TheBF said:

As a former Western Union employee I can tell you that this is just one of hundreds of variations of scams perpetrated by criminals.

I cannot say I have heard all of them but the check scam is commonly like this:

1. The crook sends you a check for some "work" or "valuable service" you have agreed to do, like answer some questions for a "survey".

2. They send you a check for more than they agreed to send "by accident"

3. They say "Just deposit the check and send us the overage amount by ... Western Union or Moneygram. (cash payment services)

4. You do what they say and send them a bunch of money and 3 to 6 days later the bank says "That check didn't clear. It was bad"

5. You are very sad/mad.?

These scams are a multi-billion dollar business.  In the early 2000s Moneygram was fined ~$100M by the US Federal Trade Commission and about 3 years ago WU was fined ~$400M.  These amounts are just the estimated revenue that the companies took in for doing the transactions. The actual amount of money scammed would be about ~9.5X more  or ~4.7B US dollars.  

Other scams are:

1. The grandparent scam. "Don't tell my parents Grandpa but I got in an accident and need some money to pay the other guy off"

2. You won the Canadian lottery! Yes! And if you can send me the taxes owed... How? By Western Union of course ,I will Fedex you check for $2M today!

3. The Class action suit scam. "Have you been scammed of some money? I am with the firm of blah blah blah. If you can send me $565, ... by Western Union , we will get your name on the suit. I can guarantee we will get your money back. (Same guys do this after you stop sending them money for the other scams)

These are truly evil people.

Western Union and Moneygram are amazing services for families to help each other almost anywhere in the world.

(Ask your bank to send money to Burkina Faso {look it up} to a person who has no bank account) :) 

But where there is money there are crooks and they are quite clever.

Both companies have had to adapt continuously to these people.

Sorry for the long winded post, but it's a hot button for me. :) 

I've had this happen to me, once; I was selling a fridge that I had bought a year prior (because we couldn't keep it in our new apartment), and I was sent a check for $2000 to pay for it. Had to get bailed out of the resulting scam by my boyfriend's mom.

Edited by xabin
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

51 minutes ago, xabin said:

Great, my county has its first confirmed case of the virus. We knew it was only a matter of time, with us surrounded on almost all sides by other counties with confirmed cases, so...

What country is your country?  Is it in Africa?

3 hours ago, xabin said:

It's fine. I just hope it isn't in the city I'm at, that would be horrible.

If everyone behaves it will be ok. I am not seeing everybody understanding the math on this thing and staying home. 

Last time I checked a graph on Wikipedia, USA was growing 31% per day.  That is doubling every ~3 days.

I just went to check USA and someone has removed the graph...  hmmm.  Looks like someone doesn't want people to see that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_coronavirus_pandemic_in_the_United_States

Canada still has a graph.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_coronavirus_pandemic_in_Canada

So does Italy which I just reviewed.

3 hours ago, TheBF said:

If everyone behaves it will be ok. I am not seeing everybody understanding the math on this thing and staying home. 

Last time I checked a graph on Wikipedia, USA was growing 31% per day.  That is doubling every ~3 days.

Try this map.

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

And today's interactive pandemic model for the US shows you the number of cases vs how long we isolate ourselves:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/03/25/opinion/coronavirus-trump-reopen-america.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

And here's some funny:

Ask a 6-year old:

Q. Why is school closed?

A. Because they're out of toilet paper!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Keeping things classy, Jon St. Jon just posted a twitter feed of him saying Covid-19-related pickup lines in his classic Duke Nukem voice.

So, I had to ask him the most logical and sensible thing you could ask him...

... How would he voice an evil counterpart to his other famous (or, rather, infamous) character, Big the Cat, in a Sonic game, and would it be like Duke Nukem but evil?

• Haha 2

Just a short break from the disease ... I just shot this picture in front of my front door, using my photo camera on a tripod.

You can see

1. the Moon at the left edge; notice how well you can see the backside with its maria ("maahh-ria", not "mar-iiiii-a")

2. Venus in the center of the picture; the planet shows a featureless disk, our atmosphere adds some smearing

3. some stars here and there, a small constellation at the upper edge (similar to the Big Dipper, but of course it's not).

4. You can see how "big" a planet appears, compared to the stars. This is the reason why planets do not twinkle, unlike stars. And the more they twinkle, the worse are the seeing conditions (turbolenced atmosphere)

DSC09453.JPG

• Like 5