IGNORED

Off-Topic / Dumping Thread

Omega-TI

2 hours ago, mizapf said:

I'm just concerned whether this drive already uses Shingled Magnetic Recording (SMR). This recording is good for storing data once, but dramatically slow when it has to rewrite the same tracks.

SUPPOSEDLY this is not a problem for moderate amounts of data.  Part of the drive is set aside for standard recording, where data is written initially then moved to the shingled area during low-usage and idle times.

Not good for RAID, for certain, as many people have discovered.  Fortunately I have not had to deal with this... yet.  Hopefully I will not have to, either.

While kind-of neat, I do not see shingled recording as an innovation, certainly not on the level of perpendicular recording.  It is a cheat to get more data on the same platters.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mizapf said:

I found a good analogy to explain SMR:

Imagine you are Bob Ross, and you want to paint a striped pattern on the canvas, with stripes as thick as your finger, but all they gave you was a 2-inch brush.

I'd turn the brush sideways <grin>.

• Like 1

Quite simple: More tracks, more capacity. How do you think they manage to squeeze 10 TB and more in a single drive?

The point is that a read head may be much smaller than a write head. As I said above, you only got that ol' two inch brush for painting, but you can see the separate tracks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, INVISIBLE said:

I'll only be using this hard drive as a write once for each file (video storage), but read many.  Once a file is written to the drive, there is a zero chance probability of it being erased and the track re-written.

Performance will not be an issue for your (or most) use cases.  Longevity is my concern.  I know you put a lot of work into ripping your DVDs and BluRays.  I would make sure you have two copies of your work.  Hey, you have a NAS?

2 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

Performance will not be an issue for your (or most) use cases.  Longevity is my concern.  I know you put a lot of work into ripping your DVDs and BluRays.  I would make sure you have two copies of your work.  Hey, you have a NAS?

I have a dedicated Raspberry Pi 3B+ on the TV running KODI that I plug the 8TB drive into.  Once a month I unplug it and copy all the new files from my PC and reattach it.  I had wanted to do it over WiFi on the home network, but sadly doing so appears to be above my pay grade.  I figured when I get the new drive I'd simply swap drives on a monthly basis keeping them mirrored.  It'll probably take me a couple more years to fill up the remaining 4.5TB.  At this point in my life I figure it would be best to follow the K.I.S.S. approach to things.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, INVISIBLE said:

I have a dedicated Raspberry Pi 3B+ on the TV running KODI that I plug the 8TB drive into.  Once a month I unplug it and copy all the new files from my PC and reattach it.  I had wanted to do it over WiFi on the home network, but sadly doing so appears to be above my pay grade.  I figured when I get the new drive I'd simply swap drives on a monthly basis keeping them mirrored.  It'll probably take me a couple more years to fill up the remaining 4.5TB.  At this point in my life I figure it would be best to follow the K.I.S.S. approach to things.

hehehe I dig it.  Well, I have almost 1,400 movies on my NAS, h.264 encoded, taking up about 10TB.

2 hours ago, jrhodes said:

"Take a stab at it" is probably the worst advise ever.

You could end up paying child support that way.

I was visiting a friend back in the 90's when his wife came into the room and said something to him, I cannot remember exactly what, but when she said, "Trust me." he gave her a really sarcastic look.  After she left the room, I asked, "Inside joke?"  He said, I have have four kids, and she said 'trust me' before every single one was conceived."

• Like 2

Rant!!!:evil:

While looking for a good example of "2 of 8" coding... First, I came upon this...:roll:

Precision Sine-Wave Tone Synthesis Using 8-Bit MCUs - NXP ...www.nxp.com › docs › application-note

424764928_NOT2of8.thumb.JPG.9f204ca906ea7453dfc8ce9730a42b64.JPG

Firstly, The table's description is irrespective of the table's ordering.

Although I imagine this table may somehow fit somewhat into the document's larger context,
Table 5, shows neither 2 of 8, codes nor ASCII codes!:twisted:

The list of items shown in the left column would be better described as HEXADECIMAL.
While the list of items shown in the right-hand column would be best described as DTMF dialing digits.

"In the 2 of 8 code, four bits are used to represent the 16 DTMF signals."(NOT)

Maybe they meant to say, something like... With relation to the pre-existing 2 of 8 code, alternatively, four bits could be used, to represent the 16 DTMF dialing digits.:?

P.S. In the above section(within the doc.) ...Which bits are the upper or lower, seems ambiguous ...and how any two bits, relate to the decimal freq. calculations shown in Table 3, is cryptic, if not meaningless.

2 hours ago, HOME AUTOMATION said:

Ended up doing it myself...:grin:

In the 2 of 8 coding mechanism, used to drive a DTMF encoder, four bits represent the ROWS, while another four bits represent the COLUMNS. Selecting 1 bit, from each of the two groups, results in a 2 of 8 code.

I coded telephony systems for 11 years and that's the first time I ever heard DTMF called 2 of 8. I looked it up, and I suspect I just dimension hopped at some point, and that's why. ;)

That, or I can always use the excuse that I only had to code the /MF/ systems... ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Tursi said:

I coded telephony systems for 11 years and that's the first time I ever heard DTMF called 2 of 8. I looked it up, and I suspect I just dimension hopped at some point, and that's why. ;)

That, or I can always use the excuse that I only had to code the /MF/ systems... ;)

telephony systems.. /shudder

that was one of my hats for about nine years of my IT career.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Your comments got me to thinking about where my interest in games, lost ground to communications/control, hmm... not a happy tale.:|

Anywho, I was on this... thinking about whether or not anyone would understand my occasional references to "2 of x codes"... I guess I already had some ideas about intercom/telephone systems brewing when I was 10, getting around Santa Monica on my Free Spirit bike. A couple years later... passing by the giant SpectraColor panel on 47th st. in Times Square on an almost daily basis... I began to contemplate how to design/make a matrix wired display of my own. Many hopeless diagrams and wondering... as I knew not, of the need to employ rectifiers... Now, my current design uses several forms of 2 of x codes, I favor this as it conforms directly to the wiring... usually, half active high, half active low, so each code drives a pair of wires that can operate a load. This wastes so many code combinations, but solves so many other issues, and besides using bigger numbers, is free.
I'm using 4 of 32 serial in, to drive 2x, 2 of 16 parallel out, wired-up as 2x 8x8 matrix... further decoded into a final 2 of 128... this provides 4096 combinations for the on/off switching of 2048 pulse controlled "memory" relays, w/o the need for a 1000A Power supply, or vast amounts of juice! I use a few 9v batteries(Dollar Tree). More--someday... maybe...

Thanks.

P.S. Yes, I still sometimes shudder in fascination!:lol: ...I know, B-O-R-I-N-G.:roll:

:)

Edited by HOME AUTOMATION
-more commas- Mmm.
  • Like 1