IGNORED

Off-Topic / Dumping Thread

Omega-TI

On 5/5/2020 at 11:57 PM, InsaneMultitasker said:

Not galloping Gertie but still....

The engineers who designed it obviously failed to follow the design lessons learned from Galloping Gertie. . .although the Guangdong bridge didn't reach the terminal oscillation point like Galloping Gertie did.

• Like 2

I was just reminded by an eBay auction about my relatively strange attractions as a boy.  I was just nine years-old when this catalog was released.  While my friends drooled over the skimpy undies models in catalogs their parents received, I had a major crush on this girl.

Untitled.png.965b353d83db0611e3366b28a322ebf0.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

7 hours ago, INVISIBLE said:

Really?  What is so good about about a...

Commode.thumb.jpg.05925afe0babb61de144b91fa6f42503.jpg

Well, it could just be a matter of being greener on the other side of the fence.  1984 is a little too soon for the seven-year-itch, but who knows.  That beefy bread-box look probably had a lot of ladies swooning.

2 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

Well, it could just be a matter of being greener on the other side of the fence.  1984 is a little too soon for the seven-year-itch, but who knows.  That beefy bread-box look probably had a lot of ladies swooning.

One could sure tell the TI was built to last, that was not something I could say about the Vic-20 or C-64.  But then again, you only get what you pay for and the TI was more expensive to upgrade.

Time to "DUMP/VENT"! (this is the dumping thread after all)

How come you can't buy a decent executive style office chair anymore?  The last one I purchased lasted only a five short years.  Mechanically it was fine, but that crap they call "bonded leather" starts cracking and peeling after only a few years.  So now I've been forced to order my third chair in 9 years.  The first was $250.00, so I figured you only get what you pay for, the last one was $450.00.  Now I've given up, I ordered a fabric one for only $200.00 and figure it should wear better than the faux leather crap, but I'm not expecting a long life.  If only they would build chairs like Texas Instruments built the TI-99/4A.  

• Like 1

I use a big antique oak office chair in my home office. Stylish, comfortable, and as it has already lasted 90 years it should outlast me! As a bonus I got it free at my university 25 years ago when they were dumpstering all the solid wood antique office furniture so they could replace it all with modern crap. 

• Like 1

I am more disappointed that I can no longer get my corner desk, and the ones I can get suck.  When I closed my office and moved about 10 years ago I actually gave two of them away.  Now the one I have left was in storage and the surface is bubbled a bit.  Nothing like glued pressed wood.  I might have to build my own desk.

I'm in the same boat with chairs, very disappointing. Also had trouble with desks... I've got a heavy old desk made in the 70s - it's nothing special, but it's solid and big enough. I've tried to replace it a few times now with "better" desks and keep coming back to it. ;)

But chairs.. yeah. I'm too heavy for them. I thought my current one would last as I splurged, but although I relented to replacing the cylinder every year, the surface material is falling apart after three.

They just can't handle my high-intensity coding! ;)

• Haha 3